Home Forums Chat Forum Royal Enfield Himalayanists

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 588 total)
  • Royal Enfield Himalayanists
    crosshair
    Free Member

Strewth! That chalky/muddy water got everywhere. I’ve washed it twice and it’s still leaching out.
    Parts of the new loom for the spotlights are literally filled with chalk paste! And I repositioned the relay for it as it was able to collect water.
    The bike threw on the engine light again after it’s bath but it’s finally gone off after a few re-starts.

There was quite a bad knocking noise on taking up drive on the way home yesterday but I managed to solve 90% of it by removing the sprocket cover, as weeks of mud fell out including one big clump with roots 🤣

But one small, niggly, notchy, knock remains, usually just as the clutch is fully engaged.
    I checked all my bolts from doing the swingarm, and all the rest of the suspension linkage and they’re all fine.
    I removed the rear wheel and checked the bearings and did the old inner-tube trick on the Cush drive rubbers (they had tons of play it seemed), then refitted with proper chain tension and the best alignment I can get and it still does it.
    I guess I need to let it develop/disappear as I can’t think of anything else to try.
    I’m happy enough it’s not dangerous though.

sharkattack

I keep checking this thread to see how much fun everyone is having and it still looks all good. Even the difficult bits.

I’m still planning to go looking for a bike when I have my garage door replaced (24 days to go!).

I’ve been to see this one because it’s on my way to work http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175771651158

There’s lots of cheaper ones for sale privately but this one looks mint and I could walk there from home in 10 minutes and bring it back so no traveling around required.

I’m not stressing it though, there’s loads of them available. There’s also a lot of stuff on YouTube with people riding in and around the Peak so no doubt I’ll run into some owners eventually.

crosshair
    Free Member

That looks like a nice one mate 👍🏻

I guess the trade off is whether you’ll be wanting to throw many extras at it.

I made the mistake of still looking on auto trader after I bought mine. And a couple of weeks later I spotted one with the actual panniers and hand guards that I bought as extras, already fitted, for the same price as mine 🙄 🤣

So I stopped looking as I was happy with mine in the moment so 🤷🏻‍♂️ 😀

sharkattack

I like the idea of starting with a clean, standard bike. Then I’ll just add bits as I figure out what I need.

crosshair
    Free Member

Yeah for sure. It’s half the fun too 😀

kayak23

Back to the ruts it is…

crosshair
    Free Member

Nice one 👍🏻

I went back to the beach this evening. Didn’t catch anything but I did get to try out the LED spotlights on the way home and whilst I still think the stock light is pretty good- the extra driving lights are a really satisfying addition.

crosshair
    Free Member

On the TET again today. Did 44 miles before heading for home. It was kind of a ride of two halves. I was not feeling it at all to begin with and some horrible slippery ruts felt almost impossible.
    Once my body had decided it was lethal- that was it. Any chance of getting some flow going was gone.

After an hour though, the tracks got a bit easier and I started to loosen up a bit.

I’d set my home time limit at 14:00 and at 13:58 I turned into the last off road section of the day which of course was the hardest 🤣
    It was clay so slippery that I couldn’t stand up, let alone brake or steer.

I sped up a bit too much at one point and the front went into a deep rut before I could switch. I tried to dab a few times but the clay just sucked my leg to the ground and eventually the bike toppled over 🤣

I very nearly bailed on going today but I’m glad I toughed it out as hopefully these tough days will make stuff that used to feel hard feel easy on good days.

kayak23

Had an absolutely mint ride today in the Cotswolds.

134 mile loop from home, down the Fosse and lanes around Lechlade and ting.

Some really nice long gravel sections, lots of pool splashes, a few ‘moments’ and some smiling, waving horse operators.

The TKC80s are definitely more sure-footed when it gets sloppy.

After a holiday and missing my bike, coming back to horrendous rain all yesterday and also being ill, it was lush to be able to get out today in some great weather.
    Still plenty of mud mind.

crosshair
    Free Member

Nice one! Looks ace 😀

I stopped at the top of a lovely valley to take a picture but two walkers coming up the hill were in the way. I sat there eating wine gums and by the time they passed, I forgot I hadn’t actually taken the picture 🤣🤣 Need to whack a GoPro mount somewhere instead I reckon.

kayak23

Back at the bottom of a steep, rocky and soaking wet climb near Snowshill that I bottled (on my own) that is normally a rad little downhill on the MTB.

Started up it but very quickly ran out of traction/skill.

I ‘designed’ the route at home on OS maps to follow with my Wahoo but actually didn’t twig that this was one of my favourite downhill sections on the MTB, so when I got to it I had to double check as it really doesn’t look like something you’re allowed to ride a motorbike up/down, but yeah, you definitely are.

Might go back some time when dry/with company.

crosshair
    Free Member

Ooo that looks like a fun one! I find a funny little crouch where you stay on the pegs but stick your trunk out backwards helps with those situations.

I have to leave the thread now! I sold the Himmy yesterday 😭. Delivered it to a guy in Kent.
    Tomorrow I have a Voge 300 Rally arriving instead 🤣 I test rode one in the week and as soon as I sat on it, I knew it was a better option for the riding I’ve been enjoying. Being a taller seat, it put my legs more underneath my body. It’s also -40kg and has got 8-10cm more ground clearance for ruts!!

The gearing is a little low so I’ve ordered a (£9 🤣) +1 tooth sprocket to try, as well as an Ali-Express aluminium bash guard and GPS mount with some Cashback money I had.

I still love the look of my Himmy but it feels like a Harley V a Mountainbike when compared to the Voge.

kayak23

I have to leave the thread now! I sold the Himmy yesterday 😭. Delivered it to a guy in Kent.

😳😭 You’re dead to me man…😉

One of the things I love about the Himalayan is that it’s not the best tool for the job, but it’ll have a go at anything and do it oozing character.
    Probably why I also love my fat bike and rigid bike.

I had one person on here who might have been vaguely interested. I now have nobody…

So ronery 😔

I watched this the other day as it happens. Not for me. Too sensible for the job in hand. 😂

cvilla

I vote for more updates (i.e. let’s see the new bike;)…we don’t need another thread…might even consider CBT!

sharkattack

I had one person on here who might have been vaguely interested. I now have nobody…

I’m still watching! More mucky ruts please.

I walked past Manhattan’s yesterday. They had a brand new Himalayan in ‘glacier blue’ like this…

It’s a lovely looking thing. Well, for a Himmy. I still don’t want to go brand new though as I’m not sure how long I’ll keep it and I might as well save over a grand on one of the many, many slightly used ones that are available.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Keep the posts and pics coming – I’ve been reading with interest 👍🙂

I’m a road rider (MT-07) but do quite like the off-road stuff also 🙂

crosshair
    Free Member

Okay I’ll stay 😀

The Himmy was the best bike I’ve owned. It was impossible to understand how something so ‘unsuitable’ on paper could be so good in real life and it took me off road in a friendly way that my Tenere, VStrom and 1150 could never manage. It is a special little bike.

What did it was that it was actually cheaper to swap bikes than do the Hitchcocks shorter links, and cooper Hagon shock/front riser mods as well as a £300 taller seat that I was telling myself I ‘needed’ to get the Himmy out of the ruts and to get my 33.5” inside leg-legs straightened out a bit.

The new guy loves the Himmy! Already texting me pics of how he’s cleaned it better than I ever did 🤣

kayak23

Cleaned it?

What’s wrong with him? 😂

sharkattack

I understand. I like to start an adventure with a nice clean implement. Then I know that all the dirt and grime is mine and somehow not as repulsive as someone else’s mystery-muck.

crosshair
    Free Member

I did offer to do it but it happened a bit fast 🤣

cat69uk
    Free Member

Was out on my Speed Triple round Kielder last night, and thought a Himalayan would be perfect for all the lanes that I did not dare explore on mine.  Currently on Auto Trader :)

Skippy

Keep the thread going, love hearing all the bike updates. I’ve just joined the club, passed Mod2 yesterday first time so happy with that.

sharkattack

Good work. I was buzzing when I passed mine.

(16th November 2021. Haven’t ridden a bike since!)

Skippy

I’m quite relieved and can’t stop smiling. Sounds like you need to sort a bike out, that blue Himalayan is nice…

kayak23

Nice one @Skippy 😊👏

crosshair
    Free Member

That’s awesome Skippy. A great feeling 🤩

CheesybeanZ

Definitely keep the updates/ pictures coming.

sharkattack

I went for a closer look…

This is Manhattan’s new demo bike but it hasn’t been set up yet. I think that’s the nicest colour I’ve seen on the Himalayan.

£4949 is the current new price for a single colour bike. Multicoloured ones are £100 more.

I’m not buying a brand new one. Definitely not.

It is very nice though.

crosshair
    Free Member

That’s a nice colour for sure 🤩

Just been out for a shakedown ride and to fuel up. First impressions are basically what I had realised on the test ride.
    1. It fits me better
    2. It’s more focussed. Less jack of all trades. And less versatile.
    3. It is different off road. I’d not go so far as better but because of the position I feel I can ride more of the time sitting down.
    4. I miss that wave of torque. It’s almost like the difference between a V Twin and in-line four. This only gets going where the Himmy used to run out.
    5. Chinese build quality is lagging behind India 🤣
    6. It’s insanely under geared 🤣 I used to roughly go 1st- 10mph, 2nd 20mph, 3rd 30mph etc on the Himmy. On this, you in 6th gear by 40mph 🤣
    7. It comes with a USB hole but no clock!! I guess I always have my phone on my quadlock but there’s not always a clock showing!!
    8. I can’t blip it over holes etc off road yet. Need to figure out the right revs to get the front to pop.
    Looking forward to some TET tomorrow hopefully😀

kayak23

Mint ride today. 193 miles down the Fosse Way to tickle a bit of the Ridgeway in Wiltshire.

Did the off road section of the Fosse way North to South and dropped into various little bits and bobs heading towards the Ridgeway to do a little of that.

There are way longer off road sections down there than we have in Warwickshire so it was cool to experience that. Amazing views too.
    I was heading up from Devizes way and about 8 other trail bikes came the other way past me on the Ridgeway.

Some difficult rut sections here. The Himalayan really could use a bit more ground clearance when surfing 4×4 ruts. Leave my feet on the pegs and ride the edges or leave my legs flailing behind me. That felt safer.

Up through Swindon and the magic roundabout then back up through the Cotswolds.
    Couple of heavy rain showers but a great run.

Interesting old building on the Fosse Way. I reckon it could have been an old prison or something 🤔

Easton Grey on the gravel Fosse way

Somewhere near Avebury I think

The Ridgeway

Ridge it!

Good day out.

crosshair
    Free Member

Looks epic that 🤩 Nice one. You must have almost touched some of the TET there?

kayak23

Yeah I’m not sure. I’ve not actually studied the TET route.
    Must have a look.

I thought of you today and your new found ground clearance as I was mashing my pegs along the ruttage 😂

crosshair
    Free Member

🤣 I keep getting swings of emotion each way wondering whether I’ve done the right thing or not.
    But yes- I’m hoping tomorrow will show me that deep ruts aren’t quite as hairy anyway 🤣

I’ve gone backwards on the tyre grip front though- but because this has an 18” rear I didn’t think the hassle of taking just the Himmy front tyre off was worth it. It would have looked odd to a buyer too with mismatched treads.

Hopefully these are manageable for a few weeks and then I may go for some kind of ‘road legal mx’ sort over the winter and then maybe switch back to these o/e ones for the summer.

crosshair
    Free Member

Is this your climb from earlier in the thread @kayak23 ??

67 miles ticked off today. Almost to Birdlip.

Really enjoyed the new bike. It makes the easy bits faster and the hard bits more manageable but maybe makes the whole experience a little less ‘challlenging’ so the fun maybe evens out.
    Mostly it’s the position. I was able to stay seated loads more. And when I needed to paddle, my legs were underneath me not somewhere near the front wheel.

Was really surprised with the stock tyres! They clambered up some wet Cotswold stone ascents with ease.

crosshair
    Free Member

Ha just found the post, you did quite a lot of the TET that day 👍🏻
    You know that fallen Ash tree- I had to hold the bike at 45 degrees and trundle it under on the clutch as it was too tall even without the screen extender 🤣🤣🤣

kayak23

Is this your climb from earlier in the thread @kayak23 ??

Yeah that certainly looks like it. Harder than it looks in a photo I thought. Momentum is everything 😊

Glad you enjoyed the bike. Looks like we’re getting into each others territories now. I like it around there.

blokeuptheroad

What size is a male Himalayan’s territory? If you stray into each others will there be a fight to the death or will we see the pitter patter of little dirt bikes in a few months time?

kayak23

😂

crosshair
    Free Member

🤣🤣

crosshair
    Free Member

Yeah there was some epic rocky bits. Great fun.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 588 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.