• This topic has 574 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 3 days ago by PhilO.
Viewing 15 posts - 561 through 575 (of 575 total)
  • Royal Enfield Himalayanists
  • kayak23

prawny

My forks are scored on my cheapo Vstrom and I’m weighing up the pros and cons of paying £500 to get it fixed vs part ex-ing it for something new.

I’ve quite enjoyed the extra power over the old Meteor, but not the fuel costs so much as a commuter. My local dealer is pumping out the old ones at £4000 which seems like a bargain, are they still useful? Or should I hang on fix the Vstrom and get something different in 2025?

Or is there anything else good, cheap (£5k or less) and reliable for a year round commuter?

kayak23

I wouldn’t still buy a new old Himalayan.
    There are so many part used ones about now for not much over 2k and often pretty low mileage.
    Seems like a great choice for a commuter.

There seems to be quite a few sets of VStrom forks about if you search.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/176308589796?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=DLCzIwWjTva&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=OlG1u98HQpO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

prawny

My Strom is the 1000, are the forks interchangeable? Looks like most people are asking about going the other way. Used forks would probably the best answer tbh, it’s getting difficult to get someone to take my money to sort these at the moment. Guessing everyone is trying to get bikes on the road now.

kayak23

Absolutely glorious riding and exploring at this time of year.
    Summer gloves, mesh body armour and a riding tee.
    Can’t get enough of it. 🙂

kayak23

kayak23

Whatcote

sharkattack

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/296491075351

I might regret this but I’ve seen something else I want and need to free up the space and the cash. I’m not desperate to sell it but the ‘other thing’ would be very nice.

kayak23

Had an unexpected opportunity for a spin on the new 450 Himalayan today.

Much quicker off the mark than the 411, but I felt really lacking in character in how it rides AND looks.
    That tank is just as eye-wateringly ugly in the flesh as I’d thought in photos.

Very much felt like you were sat ON the bike, rather than IN the bike like the 411.

Not sure what it would be like off road but it lacks the lovely low down chug of the 411.

Seat height is noticeably higher which I think makes it likely to instill less confidence off road for a shorter rider trying to get a foot down.

I didn’t get to ride it off road unfortunately as I was stuck in an endless series of Midlands traffic lights and suburbs.

I’m sure as with most things, you’d get used to how it rides but as a direct comparison to the 411, not for me.

smokey_jo

Just a heads up for those looking for things to add to puncture kits. Ordered one of these last week and it turned up yesterday.

Did an MTB tyre up to 30 psi in <5 mins this morning and the battery indicator didn’t change. Not had time to test on a motorbike tyre yet. Seems solid https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005855215638.html?spm=a2g0o.order_detail.order_detail_item.3.3114f19ccBvG2u.

Should be good for airbeds and the like for camping trips too.

It’s about the size and weight of a laptop power pack, usb-c quick charging.

It was on a ridculous deal when I bought it so I got it for <£10 delivered but I think it’s still reasonable value at £16.

kayak23

Yeah I’ve got a similar one.
    Works well but I don’t think I’ll carry it on the bike.
    Getting to be carrying way too much kit!

It does most stuff but maxes out at 50psi and my van rears are 54 if I recall.

smokey_jo

If you open a new account you can get it for £2 plus a bit of postage.

When I sell my guzzi I’ll be looking at a Himalayan for trundling about on and it looks an easy carry.

I’ll test it on a flat tyre on the Guzzi at the weekend and see how it copes.

PhilO
    Free Member

Shirley carrying a pump with an on-board rechargeable battery is a bit pointless when you could just plug a 12V pump into the vehicle’s electrical system? :-/

I’m sure it has its uses, but I’m struggling to thing of one where you don’t have another power source or a mini-pump would suffice.

smokey_jo

I’ve not seen a 12v one packaged as small as this one, I would say it’s probably less than 2/3 of the size of the atypical ones like this

PhilO
    Free Member

Fair point, well made. 🙂 I got around this by removing the casing from a cheap 12V pump (it’s amazing how much is for show/wasted space!) and carrying it in a little pouch for protection. On reflection, the cable and plug probably take up as much space as the battery in the self-contained unit…

Viewing 15 posts - 561 through 575 (of 575 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.