Home Forums Chat Forum Royal Enfield Himalayanists

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 588 total)
  • Royal Enfield Himalayanists
  • crosshair
    Free Member

Cool would love to hear more about that Skippy 👍🏻

I desperately need more training 🤣🤣

I’ve gone the other way and ordered some Forma Adventure low boots as when I ride to the beach I’ve been wearing dealer boots that are small enough to pack in the top box but would prob fly straight off in a crash.

I wear my MX boots with carrier bags inside when I remember 🤣🤣

Skippy

I went there last week and took my new (to me) bike, bought a used Honda CRF300L. I did a trail maintenance course for the first day and then skills and riding for two days. The skills were braking using back brake without skidding on down hills, cornering, ruts, going through big puddles, skidding, dismounting as the bike is going along and just lots of riding various trails some more hard packed and some quite loose.
    I haven’t got much experience and I think it showed, there is quite a crossover from mountain biking, but everything goes wrong quite fast when it happens. Also I hadn’t ridden the bike before so it wasn’t set up very well for me, the gear shifter was too high and it has these high risers so they advised me to make some changes. I changed the gear lever position, but have had to order some new handlebars.
    It was a great experience, very good and dedicated instructors with a good attitude. The facility is epic and I will definitely return. They do some events and I might try one, I have been reliably informed that they are for all abilities. So now I learnt a few things, I wish I lived in Wales, off road biking is a money pit and I need a van.
    if you get a chance to go I would say do it, you will learn a lot, you can borrow a KTM or a Himalayan, but you can also take your own bike.

crosshair
    Free Member

Cool! That sounds ace thanks. The MX day was good but very little was really relevant to riding your bike up a brick strewn byway 🤣🤣

What’s the CRF like? If I could have found one cheaper than a brand new Voge I may have bought one too 🤣👍🏻

I’d be up for a group day somewhere I could get enough people together.

Skippy

Initially I was looking for the 250l, but the prices were so high that there wasn’t much difference to the 300 so decided to go for that. I got a 6 month old bike with lots of extras, but I have to now undo some of the changes to get it right for me. I don’t have too much to compare it to, first gear seems very short, but it’s possible to take off in second so that’s OK. It’s quite nimble and easy to turn and only threw me off a few times so quite forgiving. It has trackers on and the grip seemed pretty good, haven’t tried them on the road yet. For me it’s quite a tall bike, this was made worse by the risers, but I am considering a lowering link even though I hoped I wouldn’t need it. I think if my technique/confidence was better the standard height would be OK.

sharkattack

This was more like it. No problems with the weather tonight…

My bike also has a rattle from the front end which I haven’t investigated yet. It was there whenever I lugged the engine at around 2k but I’ve made it worse and all I’ll done is mess around with the screen so it’s in there somewhere. I saw the speedo wiggle as well so I’m assuming that’s loose.

I’m back at work now so riding time is limited. Got no big journeys planned yet. Just going to pop out whenever I get the chance.

kayak23

Beautiful evening Sharkattack 😍👆

Ended up in Sportsbikeshop and bought a set of Sidi X-Power boots.

I looked at and tried the Sidi Adventure 2 boots also, and while they were clearly a bit better than my current boots, I could still fairly easily bend them over sideways and generally manipulate them about.

Felt like I’ve already bought the wrong boot initially, just because it said ‘Adventure boot’ on the label, and so told myself, don’t make the same mistake again and at twice the cost.
    I think it’s fair to say that ‘Adventure’ is really just another word for ‘Touring’ these days.

I’ve already given my foot a good smashing and just about gotten away with it, so why increase the likelihood of not getting away with it next time.

The Adventure 2 boots are really nice, but yeah, I think in my head, I know that I should be going for better protection over all day comfort.

Sat in the X-Power boots and hobbled around the shop for about 45 minutes. They fit ok but quite tight across my left ankle (the foot I injured as it goes)
    I wasn’t sure if this would loosen up after a break in period and the people in the shop were nice but not that knowledgeable about the off-road side of things in terms of gear.

They are a size up from what I normally take too.

Anyway, bought them (eye watering price of £280) and took them home and proceeded to wear them in the house for a couple of hours.

I’m now not convinced that they are a good fit and was very glad to get them off(as was my partner 😂) and so unfortunately I think they need to go back and maybe try two sizes up.

It’s really hard to spend so much money on something you don’t really like. Trying to be sensible though…

crosshair
    Free Member

Yeah it’s tricky isn’t it! Hopefully you’ll find a pair that work for you. I have some O’Neil ones I got from Ebay ten years ago and the amount of times I nearly threw them out from the shed (maybe I knew this fad was set to return one day 🤣 ) because they are so un-comfy, I’m amazed they survived!

With the RST ventilator trousers I picked up on Sunday, and the better boots for road riding arriving today, I’m pretty happy with my set-up for the minute. In fact, I’m struggling to see what my next mod/purchase will be!
    I did like James’ gear choices the other day I must say, especially those trousers that looked like army surplus combats but- to be honest, I think I was just more jealous of the 2 and a half stone weight difference 🤣
    Perhaps that’s a good motivator for a diet- if I shrink enough I’ll HAVE to buy more clothes 😎🤣

crosshair
    Free Member

Forma’s have arrived. They’re well comfy for new boots!!! I gambled on a size smaller than the ones I tired on in the shop and luckily they still fit.
    There is a tiny bit of ankle protection there. I think I’d be happy riding gravel and small grassy ruts with them but even slow technical off roading (and especially slow rocky stuff) there’s way too much risk for me I’d say.
    I guess I feel happier knowing I can maybe bomb an easy trail or two on the way back from somewhere now, or cut across the Plain to avoid the A303 for example.

Oh @Kayak23, I meant to say- I tried to beep you guys when you got diverted at the road works as the tank crossing by the cones was a nice little gravel cut through to the other Tidworth road 🙄🤣

sharkattack

I bought some Fox MX boots about 4 years ago when I bought a YZ125. They’re always on sale at 24MX.

Long story short, I never rode the bike and the boots are still in the box! I kind of assumed they’d be way too stiff on the road but the protection would be useful when I venture away from the tarmac. Also I didn’t want to have the same problem I had when I actually rode an MX bike and couldn’t find the controls with my feet. That was an awful feeling.

I’ve been riding in some 8 inch high North Face leather boots which look the part and are unlikely to come off in a crash but they don’t offer any crush protection.

I’ll get the Fox boots out for a test ride. They’ll look a bit odd with my jeans tucked into them! Hopefully I’ve got some baggy pants somewhere. Thankfully I had the foresight to buy black ones.

kayak23

I’ve been back to the shop today as I wore the Sidi X-Power boots a couple of hours last night and they just kind of hurt the inside of my ankle and arch.

In regular shoes, I’m normally a 42 or 43( about 8.5 in UK sizes)
    The Sidi boots i got were a 43 and seemingly too tight.

I tried on a 44 today and a 45.

The 44s were a teensy bit better but not a revelation by any means. Still felt a little too much hard pressure on my inner ankle and arch.

The 45s felt pretty good for width, but the boot itself was massive, being a 10.5 when usually I’m an 8.5.
    The toe box is hard so you can’t tell where your toes are either.

I wasn’t keen on going for such a massive boot to me, as obviously having any kind of feel on the bike is already massively limited in mx boots. I don’t want to add a load of unnecessary length to that too.
    I’d never find the brake and shifter.

Anyway, got a refund in the end and have come away frustrated.

I was really set on the Sidi boots as they seem to have about the best protection but i guess the internet anecdotes about them being on the narrow side are fairly true 😐

Oh @Kayak23, I meant to say- I tried to beep you guys when you got diverted at the road works as the tank crossing by the cones was a nice little gravel cut through to the other Tidworth road 🙄🤣

I think i heard beeping but just thought it was someone saying goodbye 😂
    I did wonder why you weren’t behind me seeing as i was heading towards Newbury.

crosshair
    Free Member

🤣 Nah, was trying to be helpful for once.

I went to the beach last night. I have to say, I think I wish I’d spent a little extra on the TKC’s. These are sooo noisy on the road that it’s kind of ruined the dual-purpose nature of the bike.
    In a few weeks, when it’s muddy again, and I’ve only got the spare time to ride lanes I’m hoping I’ll forgive and forget 🤣

Felt really happy with everything else on my setup though. I adjusted the headlight a little more and even without the spots fitted, they are plenty good enough for legal-limit riding.

I’m working Saturday this week so trying to decide what to do on Sunday. James went to Tintern and rode the hard steps yesterday so I may go there and have a crack at the Cymry Trail. Option 2 is riding South to Dorset and heading up through Somerset on the GWT to link up with where we started at Keynsham last week. And option 3 is heading East and starting the Middle England Trail section (although that somehow feels least inspiring).

To be honest, there are already sections I’d love to ride again too. The TET is really providing a great resource to enjoy my bike.

kayak23

I’ve got a Himalayan meet on Saturday.
    Doing the Warwickshire Road Book, led by a dude from Grims Himalayan group on Facebook.

I rode with them before around the Long Mynd and it was pretty good.
    Interested to see someone else’s take on my local area.

crosshair
    Free Member

Ooo nice one 👍🏻

crosshair
    Free Member

I rode back across Salisbury Plain from a mate’s today. Was lovely up on the Northern Transit Route again with insane views.
    What was striking though was how hot it was!!

I’m now free most of both days but I’m thinking rock crawling up gnarly lanes in still-air is going to be frazzling!
    I’ll probably go, but maybe knock back my target mileage and at the very least, take loads of drink. Maybe I need to take a Jerry can for me *and* the bike 🤣

kayak23

Maybe just session some harder bits and get lines dialled?
    But yeah, water, water, water 😊

Was crazy up Salisbury plain, how far you can go just on wide open gravel tracks.
    Cool place.

You could do some tet sections but backwards. There’s quite a few sections we did that would be quite a challenge in the opposite direction too 👌

crosshair
    Free Member

Yeah there’s endless options isn’t there 🤩

A Sessioning session is a good shout. Find a nice shady climb.

I need to have a play on the laptop and work out where the closest fresh TET is if I want to go that option. I’m assuming the MET but actually it could be GCT from Tintern. Otherwise I’m looking at 2h into darkest Dorset to make the GWT worth picking up.

I’m tempted to grab a cheap open face helmet 🥵 🤣

kayak23

I’m tempted to grab a cheap open face helmet 🥵 🤣

I’ve got an open face helmet, and until the other day I was happy riding with it on anything but long motorway sections.

The other day on our ride, with my new standard/taller screen, on one of the climbs. The bike pitched into a massive hole on the way up with a bit of pace.

I saw it coming but couldn’t do much, and the front wheel hit the back of the hole and jerked violently upwards and the screen smashed me in the chin bar and twisted the helmet on my head.

Glad I wasn’t in the open face 😳

crosshair
    Free Member

Oh yeah you said about that!

Everything is a compromise isn’t it.

I went to Halfords on a hunch but the L they had didn’t fit so I doubt I’ll bother.

Maybe I’ll take the old Caberg and keep soaking the lining in water.

crosshair
    Free Member

Okay so that was a fun day 🤩

Relatively unmotivated, despite the heat, I just wanted to get away from home for a few hours so I went to the MET seeing as it was the closest option of the 3 on the table.

I left late and had no milage or destination goals. I didn’t bother putting a GoPro mount on my other helmet or even taking my GoPro in the end.

And of course… it was one of the best day’s riding I have had yet! And that’s saying something.

I did about 50 miles and in that time, there were rocky climbs, loose and rutty descents, Fords, a mini desert (sand 🤣), stunning views, quaint villages, a garage right when I needed one and just a large proportion of trails.
    It was brilliant.

With 17psi in the Trackers instead of 25, the difference was remarkable. Partly because they were even worse on road but mainly because they felt like a different tyre off road. I know it sounded like an excuse last week but they just wouldn’t grip!

The gnarliest feature was a rocky ledge with no paddle-able line. In the end, I resigned myself to driving the bike up that feature whilst stood next to the bike. There was a ridable line, which with the aid of the stones someone had put there, I could see working. But, if this makes sense, as the bike climbed the rock, I would have been several feet in the air with no way to put my feet down until the bike was past it’s tipping point. It would have been a really hard drop into rock on either side. With company, we could have stood there to catch each other if required but discretion always wins solo.
    I committed for the rest though and bucked my way to the top nicely.

Bike was generally great apart from during that feature where it slipped backwards off of a rock as I was re-mounting. The combined weight of 1/4 ton snapped the stand clean off!
    Luckily, I had done a splash and dash at the last petrol station (no Jerry can today) as I’m not sure how I’d have gotten fuel. Lean it against a walll I suppose.

I stayed cool by soaking myself in the big ford and drunk the best part of 2l of water. I also had a couple of soft flasks of my home made cycling fuel- strong squash, sugar and salt as I didn’t want to get dehydrated this week. I also wore the Caberg and rode a few miles here and there with it flipped up.

Enjoyed that a lot. I guess starting with no expectations is always a recipe for a good day.

Just before the stand broke!

The Surrey-Dakar 🤣

crosshair
    Free Member

It was actually pretty deep. I rode it blind and only by fluke did I choose the shallowest part 🤣

sharkattack

That looks like a mint day out.

I had a quick blast into the Peak to find bumper to bumper traffic, thousands of parked cars dumped everywhere and I was streaming with sweat. It just wasn’t fun so it became a quick loop home.

I think I need to look I to raising the seat. I was out for around an hour and it was enough to set my hips off.

I do have an open face helmet to try. Left over from being a passenger on track days when I was doing a lot of photography. So far judging by the amount of unidentified objects smashing into my visor I’ve always been glad I’m not wearing it.

crosshair
    Free Member

Yeah the one in Halfords had a built in sun visor which was something I guess.

I’ve bodged the sidestand for tomorrow 🤣

Best welding this side of the road of bones 🤣
    Ran out of wire before I could weld up the back of the second bolt 🤨

crosshair
    Free Member

I got to 1h04m40s in this video today

kayak23

Had a nice 100 mile local ride with a group of Himalayanists around my hood.

Was good to ride a route put together by someone who wasn’t from the area and see where they took us.

I’ve had a few little issues starting to surface with the bike so almost thought I might not make the ride.
    For a few rides I’ve had a strong smell of fuel, and yesterday on the way the bike was lurching a bit.

Not a bad group of people to be around when you’re having Himalayan problems.
    We had the tank off and had a bit of a look but nothing obvious happening, and it seemed mostly to behave on the rest of the ride.

Friday I was trying to straighten out my bashplate as it’s been getting some abuse of late with rocky trails in the Peak and Wye valley.

Seemingly, all the bashing has cracked the tack welds on one of the bashplate mounts on the frame as it came off in my hand, so I think I’ll be getting the welder out too!

Bent as a 9 bob note

Failed frame mount. It’s only got two little tack welds so not really strong enough.

Straight as an arrow… nearly

kayak23

Then the ride yesterday. Crazy, crazy hot.

Cooling off in a ford. Wellesbourne

Burton Dassett Alps

Room for a few more stickers

The ride leader had a bit of a cross rutting and had a lie down at one point. I surveyed from the grass.

Stopped for lunch, and as we rode away, one of the group had a front flat. Pinched the first tube getting it back in. Great fun in the sweltering heat.

crosshair
    Free Member

Looks gert lush 🤩 How did the other Himmy’s do?

kayak23

Really good, although one of them is going over to the dark side and getting a Voge. 😳

I’ve not heard of them. You? 😉

crosshair
    Free Member

Some Chinese junk 🤣

crosshair
    Free Member

Was there any consensus on buffeting/screen solutions?

crosshair
    Free Member

I went back to the TET- MET today. Of course there was no way it could live up to yesterday and it didn’t. Average speed was 24mph which shows how little trail there was. There were a couple of fun bits. Annoyingly I double-pressed the auto-start/stop on the GoPro for the best bit of the day at Leith hill. I did realise about 20 miles later but thought it was a bit sad to go back 🤣🤣

Scored about 85 miles so that’s 138/210 ticked off and I reckon I’ll finish it in one long day if I can organise things at work.

kayak23

TET, MET, WET, PET… I can’t keep up.

Sounds good. Mtb is great in the Surrey hills so I imagine motorbiking might be too.

crosshair
    Free Member

I mean, I’m sure you’ve all received the notification bell and that 😉
    But just in case…

kayak23

Liked it. 😊👍
    I reckon you need a mic for on-trail commentary 🎤

Was there any consensus on buffeting/screen solutions?

Not as such really. I’m sticking with the standard screen for now and have upgraded my earplugs.

If I do a long journey, I’ll stick the screen extension on and enjoy wind -free travel 👌 then take it off when schralping the chunder, as they say.

crosshair
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m not sure whether people want to hear me screaming “arrrrrggghhhhh!” to myself when I’m constantly convinced I’m gonna lose the front 🤣🤣

crosshair
    Free Member

Trying to keep the momentum going and ride to the beach with the paddle-board later. I have finally done a couple of hours cycling this week, so am more tired than I have been, but it’s a long dark winter so I ought to make the most of it!
    I did think it would be cool to have a second wheel set with road tyres on for the beach trips but once I wear these out, TKC’s should solve that problem 🤣

I did think about blasting out the last section of Middle England Trail but I think that might be a job for Sunday.

crosshair
    Free Member

Both my helmets (HJC and Caberg) are 19 or so years old so I thought I’d upgrade that too. I ended up getting an HJC C80 as I find my existing HJC really comfy.

It’s pretty feature packed. It has a peak, a visor, an internal sun visor and came with a pin lock!
    It is also flip-up (although not certified to be ridden with the visor up), has cut-outs for glasses arms, room for Bluetooth speakers and has vents.
    It’s just about big enough to wear goggles with but I’m not sure how much air flow there will be as they almost fill the gap.

On the downsides, it’s quite heavy (although not noticeable on your head I don’t think) and you have to use a screwdriver to remove the peak and/or the visor.
    Because I’ll keep the other one going as well, I think I’ll leave the new one set up for the trails.

Plain black was £152 and the fancy ones a little more.

kayak23

That’s a good price for such a helmet.
    Looks good 👍

I’m determined to ride my mountainbike this weekend I reckon.
    Just been looking at more Mx boots actually.
    Tried AS Tech 7s which are comfortable, but I think that’s because they lack rigidity and overall protection.

Had some Gaerne Fastback Enduro delivered to me the other day. I usually size up a bit but they only had the size my shoes normally are in the colour I want.

Yup, too small…
    Getting sick of it now, hence why I need to get back on the push bike 😂👍

crosshair
    Free Member

Turning into a right pain in the foot for ya 🤣🤣 🥾 👢 🥾 👢

I caught a PB bass this evening 🎉

Would have turned around and gone home if I had been in the car- traffic was bonkers.

crosshair
    Free Member

Bike is fuelled up and the pouch is locked and loaded with sweets and red bull!

Hoping to finish the MET tomorrow. It’s going to be largely a road riding day but I plan to just settle in at a reasonable cruising pace and take my time.

It’s a 73 mile section remaining so potentially doable in 3hrs. That would be ideal as I could be at the forecast rain then 🤣

I found out my old one piece rainsuit from 2007 and stuffed that in the dry bag just in case.
    Sadly I don’t think we have any carrier bags for my boots left 🤔

crosshair
    Free Member

Finished the MET today 🎉

It was actually a really nice section. Lots of trails and a few good rocky climbs.
    I think I’ve been lucky with the weather on the MET- it would be a different proposition all the way along if the chalk was wet like my first day on the Plain.

I messed up quite a lot of filming. I got a Hero 10 so I can leave each in a different mount and both were playing up at times. Either with mounts getting knocked or slipping or it ending up in time lapse mode.

My riding was better though- something definitely clicked (I mean, it is about time to be fair 🤣).
    Particularly on the downhills- I was more likely to ride them down under power and only brake when I actually needed to rather than start off at the top like if the bike gets away from me- that’s it gone until the bottom. Once it backfired when I accidentally found neutral but I managed to stop with the front brake 🤣

3.5hrs of motorway was a bore but the bike is great at it for what it is.

I won’t say a peaked helmet and goggles is a revelation- at times it was better, at times it felt worse but I’d say probably kept me cooler.

Next project is chipping away at the GWT some more and then maybe have a craic at the dreaded GCT 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 588 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.