Home Forums Chat Forum Royal Enfield Himalayanists

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 588 total)
  • Royal Enfield Himalayanists
  • sharkattack

You’re right there. It requires full concentration at all times or they’ll throw you off like a rag doll.

I’m avoiding situations like that for now I don’t need anything more to think about. Every day is a school day for me at the minute.

Still itching to get back on a trials bike but that will be a while away now.

You might have noticed I’ve removed the screen. I was wondering why everywhere I want was incredibly windy even though I was looking up at the trees and nothing was moving. For some reason the standard screen throws the wind right in your face. I kind of prefer having it on, maybe it needs to be a slightly different shape or be sawed in half. It was much nicer today with far less noise.

crosshair
    Free Member

Even the little narrow road lanes the TET took Kayak23 and I on in the Forest of Dean were challenging 🤣

Yeah, screens on upright bikes are a nightmare. The only two I’ve ever gotten right were a VStrom with a big Givi touring screen and this Voge (but only with the add-on).

My 1150gs was AWFUL!! Such a crushing disappointment anyway but the bad screen was the icing on the cake.

On the Tenere it used to come up through the bars (tried fitting some chequer plating deflectors to the bar and all sorts!).

Himmy was okay (with the extender) until you hit a cross wind.

I think you just have to resign yourself to a lot of fiddling to get the right air at the right height.
    The Voge has a gap under the screen which lets a stream hit your chest. Then the deflector pushes the rest over the top (I have to duck slightly. 5’10 would be perfect 🤣).
    Without that lower stream- you get awful turbulence.

kayak23

I think you just have to resign yourself to a lot of fiddling to get the right air at the right height.

This is currently my focus on the Himalayan.
    Like Sharkattack says up there, I’d been going everywhere thinking that the wind noise was just what it was until i tried standing up on the bike at 50-60mph and had almost blissful silence.

I have actually become much more aware of the tinnitus that I’ve always had, but that i think I’ve maybe already made worse with the Himalayan with its screen.
    I always wore ear plugs for long journeys but never felt the need on my GSX750 for blasts about as my helmet seemed fairly quiet.

I’ve never had a bike with any kind of screen in all my years of riding and so I didn’t really twig that it was the source of the issue at first on the Himalayan.

The bike i bought used came with a short screen, maybe 50mm lower than the standard which the bloke i bought it from had fitted. He was over 6 foot and said the standard screen had been bad for buffeting for him, hence the change.

I’m shorter at 5’7 and so actually, the shorter screen probably does to me what the standard screen did for him and although i don’t get buffeting as such, i do get really, really high wind noise, particularly now I’ve changed helmets to one with a peak.

I ordered a standard sized screen from ‘slipscreens’ on eBay which arrived yesterday as i thought maybe the standard one might work for me.

I popped out last night with a bag and tools to change the screens over and do some testing.

I tried with the cut down screen already fitted at around 60mph as a base, then i stopped and removed the screen completely and tried again. As i set it off, a biblical downpour started, and i wasn’t wearing my ‘proper’ bike clothes, so was instantly drenched.
    I can’t say as in that short section i particularly noticed that things were quieter but i think the deluge of rain might have been distracting.

I stopped under some trees and put the new, standard screen on. It’s taller but actually seems fairly narrow. Anyway, it was still wanging it down so not a great test but i don’t think it improved things, although i did notice that i could duck down low and things went quieter plus i wasn’t getting battered with rain.

Anyway, no pictures as I had to help Noah with his Ark!

Test was inconclusive and so I’ll wait until it’s dry and maybe go to a dual carriageway and try it again.
    I’m pretty disappointed at the moment as i really don’t want to make my tinnitus worse obviously.

It’s interesting what you’re saying Crosshair about having the blast of air beneath the screen helping to remove the negative or low pressure behind the screen. That’s also an approach i might need to try.
    I saw a guy on the Facebook owners group who had made some screen brackets that essentially lifted the screen up about 20mm from it’s mountings, giving him a decent gap under the screen.

His images are below. That extra hole on the original mounting point he has is apparently something you got on the E4 Himalayan to adjust the angle of the screen. You don’t get that on my E5 which is a shame.

I think because bikes like these are much more upright, that perhaps just the headlight etc itself is effectively higher up and so you get more pronounced wind noise, screen or no screen.

But yeah, more experimenting needed, before I’m deaf 😐

crosshair
    Free Member

Yeah, thinking about it more, the VStrom and the Voge are both very similar at the front with the way the screen mounts.

The GS by contrast had a gap at the bottom and a weird gap between the stock screen and the added on one. There was zero buffeting but you just couldn’t find the pocket of still air.

And here’s the bar deflector I tried on the XTZ as you could stop the noise by leaning your arm across the bars 🤣

I know people also try removing the mirrors on their Himmy…

crosshair
    Free Member

I’m just trying to work out if Strata Florida is doable as a day trip. I reckon 2.5h there and perhaps 3.5h back again. That leaves around 3h plus lunch for ‘Laning 🤔
    Probably better attempted before the days get too short. (I’ve taken off the crash bars and spot lights at the minute to see if I prefer being able to put my legs forward for balance (as per the MX session) and so far I think I like it.)

I know a few guys had big probs in the puddles the other week after all the rain we’ve had but I presume it’s fining down nicely now.

kayak23

Yeah, doable in a day providing zero issues i guess.

sharkattack

I’m stuck at work and all I want to do is go home and start drilling holes in my screen. Mine already has a small crack in it so I don’t mind sacrificing it in the name of experimentation. I don’t want to cut it down too much until I decide on a navigation setup and see where all the hardware sits.

Strata Florida looks amazing. However, I’m still building up to Houndkirk Moor so it’s a bit beyond me right now. I’ll get down there one day.

crosshair
    Free Member

I think a lot of that bit is fear by reputation and line choice. I reckon Devon and the Peaks look way more technical.

Assuming you don’t get washed away that is 🤣🤣 🌊

sharkattack

I’ve been busy tonight.

Accesory bar is on.

Now I need to decide what I’m going to put on it. Some kind of cheapy phone holder, a posh Quadlock phone holder or wait a while and go full send on a Garmin Zumo (fingers crossed for Black Friday discounts). I’ll need a power supply but I’ll wait until I know what I’ll be using.

Headlight grill is on.

Just because. I’ve always wanted bike with a mean looking, scrambler headlight grill and now here it is.

Lomo bags are on.

These things are a no brainer for £40.

Also, they’re the perfect size for these 5 litre bottles so snip snip…

A bit of old U-trim from a van job just because I can. Might stop me catching my fingers on the edges.

And now I have a perfectly lined pouch that will keep its shape instead of flapping in the wind.

I was contemplating turning this old camera box into a top box with a metal plate and some nuts and bolts but really it’s too big and ugly. I wish it was the next size down. I do have a smaller one but it’s neon orange so I think I’ll leave it alone.

Starting to look the part now, I’m really happy with it.

The only bummer was that I’d also ordered a passenger seat blanking plate to create space for a bag but it arrived broken. Hopeully Hitchcock’s replace it with no drama.

For now I’m calling it finished. Short term, this is everything I need. I just want more miles under my belt before winter fully arrives. It’s already cold and getting dark early. I must have blinked and missed summer.

I’m going to ride it as is and start experimenting with the screen. I would like to reduce the buffeting issue without spending any money.

kayak23

Nice. Looks great with what you’ve added. 👏

I went out again for a test with the various screens.
    It’s really horrible and loud with no screen, short screen, standard screen 😭

Don’t know what to do. It’s not nice at all.

Going to try it with mirrors removed to see if that does owt, and also with an extra section on top of the standard screen.

crosshair
    Free Member

That looks really nice @sharkattack 😎 They really are pretty bikes.
    I don’t get the same petrol station admiration conversations with my China-bug faced robot 🤣

@kayak23
    could you experiment with tape and cardboard first? Get the size, shape, angle and any wind holes sorted and then work out what combo of screens and extenders etc might get you there?

crosshair
    Free Member

I went for a lunchtime blast and made a video as I think there’s a niche for one whilst they’re new 🤣

kayak23

Great review. Interesting comparisons to the Himalayan.

Liked and subscribed 😉👍

kayak23 could you experiment with tape and cardboard first?

I’ve ordered a little clip on extension to try, like the one you have.
    Bit worried that will be quite high and start getting into my line of vision and cause vibration and flex in the screen.

Also not keen on a tall screen off road in case it gets smashed.

But yeah, experimenting needed.

sharkattack

Nice video, your local trails look amazing. I don’t know of anything like that near here.

Did I spot a Garmin behind your screen? What are the cycling models like for road navigation? Or do you not use it for that.

I’ve wanted a Garmin for ages now on the MTB. If I could make it useful for both bikes it would be easier to justify the spend.

crosshair
    Free Member

Yeah, a lot of it is technically at work too 🤣

Garmin navigation is great. I used to use my original 800 in the car all the time. I usually have the TET gpx loaded on to the 830 although lately, I’ve been using Guru Maps on my iPhone and having the Garmin show garminy stuff like average speed, lap time, heading etc etc

I haven’t fiddled with the settings to see if there is a car mode because you will get recommended to head down cycle paths sometimes. But most of the time I have created the route in another program anyway.

Between the Garmin and the phone, I certainly don’t feel the need for a MC specific head unit and I wonder if a waterproof android tablet would be better anyway. (the bigger screens do look smart)

sharkattack

You’ve got me thinking now…

I could continue to use my phone with Google maps (because I already own it and it’s awesome) for road stuff, plus regular phone stuff and photos. Then a cycling specific Garmin for off-road, pre loaded routes, GPX’s, TET stuff, recording stats etc. Plus I’d have it for exploring MTB trails on trips to strange places which is what I really wanted one for anyway.

Then I won’t have to buy the big, ugly Zumi and I’ll have 2 screens to look at as if I’m some kind of desert racer.

I’m into it. It might be time to splurge on a Quadlock for the Pixel but I’ll have to wait until my credit card stops smoking. Then I might put a Garmin 1040 on my Xmas list and hope it shows up.

kayak23

Still having screen issues.

My little screen extension thing arrived which i fitted to the standard screen.

Extender not in this pic but ‘standard’ screen from Slipscreens shown. It seems very narrow at the top. Is the OEM screen that narrow?

Versus cut down screen

With the standard screen on and the extender fitted, the wind noise is greatly improved. I think the bulk of the wind is finally going over my head. However, it’s so high! I really don’t think i want all of that screen up near my face when I’m riding off road, shredding the moto-gnar. It’s dangerous and it’ll probably get snapped off in ten minutes.

I’m going to try my cut down screen and the extender just to see if the angle of the extender can make any difference.

It could be my new helmet too i suppose. I had a regular road type helmet until a few weeks ago and have swapped to an adventure style one with a peak (Cheap LS2 one)

But yeah, the wind noise and the resultant headaches are really getting to me just now 😐
    Need a solution.

I thought that removing the screen entirely might help but it doesn’t seem to.

crosshair
    Free Member

Bugger. My extender comes with a little pouch and has a QR on it so you could remove it and stow it for off roading. In practice, I don’t 🤣
    Some of the TET I’ve done it’s been a godsend pushing brambles out of the way.

Yeah, the newer model Himmy has a narrower screen than the original.
    There are wider and taller tourer ones I believe.

Helmets do make a difference. My flip up and sun visor equipped Caberg is deafening so I’ve given up wearing it even though it’s cooler (in both senses 🤣).

Different problem here- just sold my Diverge so desperately trying not to waste the money on hasty kit choices 🤣🤣🤣

crosshair
    Free Member

Couldn’t hold off on the rear tyre any longer 🤩 🤣

sharkattack

The last piece of my spending spree just arrived. To be fair to Hitchcock’s they dispatched it as soon as I let them know the first one was broken.

I like it. I didn’t take out insurance for carrying a passenger and my Mrs would never get on the back so the seat is completely redundant. At least now I can strap a bag onto the platform and I think it looks cool. I have nothing else on my shopping list, for this month anyway. Nothing planned but riding.

I like that short screen you have, it looks good and you’re right it’s probably safer than having the tall one right in your face while riding off road. I didn’t even consider the chance of taking one of those to the face. That would bloody hurt!

Interesting point about the style of helmet. I bought a cheap Bell road helmet to get through my test and was planning to upgrade to a peaked ‘adventure’ style lid. Luckily I have an MX helmet I can try out first to see how horrible the peak is in the wind. But, I do have 100% goggles with red chrome lenses in so I’ll look awesome while slowly going deaf.

crosshair
    Free Member

I like that pillion rack 👍🏻

sharkattack

This was not the sunrise ride that I was hoping for! As soon as I got out of town the fog was so thick. It actually looks much better in the pictures than it was especially when trying to ride at 40 or 50.

I’ve never ridden in fog before. The visibility was so bad and it also coats your visor making it impossible to see out. Plus there was a scary amount of silver and gray cars emerging from the mist with no lights on.

I turned back, I’ll try again later.

crosshair
    Free Member

Wow that looks awful!! It’s so disorientating isn’t it.

Cracking day on the TET today with @kayak23
    92 miles of mind bogglingly varied terrain from terrifying boulder strewn gorges to 40mph gravel and the horizon no further than 4’ away one minute down a bramble filled lane before the next, we can see four or five counties.

Also joined by another nice chap on a Voge who knew the lanes AND how to ride them 😎

I can’t quite get my head around how much fun these little bikes are.

kayak23

Rad day out today with @crosshair and another Vogeist.

The very first lane was the gnarliest. Basically riding a bobsleigh run uphill full of builders rubble 😂

Loads of really fantastic sections and we had a really good pace the 3 of us with lots of flow.

Long day mind. Well over 200 miles and a grueling motorway slog back to Warwickshire from Salisbury plain for me.

Climbing up on Salisbury plain, I can see the city lights…

Kickstand cut out switch issues

Salisbury Plain

crosshair
    Free Member

Great pics 🤩

I’m wading through the mud stains, wrong angles and poorly timed on/offs to find some usable footage 🎥

Made this for now 🤣

kayak23

That was cool. 😊👏
    Grand day out 👌

crosshair
    Free Member

Whipped back today to do the missing link of GWT. On the way there, my clutch pivot bolt came out 🤣
    I had been adjusting the clutch lever earlier so I’m surprised I didn’t notice it was loose. (or not surprised that I broke it 🤣).

Luckily I could still work the clutch just enough, and do clutchless shifts most of the time.

I hoped the garage at Tidworth would have little packs of bolts as the ones I carry were too big.
    Sadly no joy.
    Luckily though, a GoPro mount bolt is the same thread as the lever 🤣 And the black knobbly handle end snugs up tight underneath 😎 So that’s fixed for a bit.

It was only about 21 miles in the end but did take an hour so I couldn’t have done it last night.

Just totted up on Garmin BaseCamp and that’s 192 miles done of the 860 mile GWT 😮‍💨🤣

I have to say- I’m regretting my tyres. They are much cheaper but not a patch on TKC’s. They make me feel sea sick on rough tarmac and they literally wobble from side to side as the knobbles follow each and every stone.

I think I’ll wear them out and then either refit the originals or cough up for the better option (these bikes need to be good on road too IMO to make sense).

kayak23

The TKC80s freaked me out when i first fitted them.
    They seemed to make the bike fall into corners on road, but it was probably just a different feel to the Ceats.
    I’m used to them now though and really like them.
    Not expecting them to last that long though.

I wonder how many days the GWT might take in a one-er?
    Could be a good camping trip. 🤔

crosshair
    Free Member

Yeah there’s a few good vids on YouTube about it.
    I seem to average about 20mph each time so I guess it depends on the time of year and how many hours you can do on consecutive days.
    We’re doing big commutes AND big off road miles at the minute aren’t we, so I reckon 175 a day is easily achievable if all you had to do was TET?
    That would make it a nice 5 dayer. Less if we cut off what we did already (but I’d like to ride that again).

sharkattack

Good pictures and videos. These kinds of big days out are exactly what I’m looking forward to. I definitely couldn’t handle that tech off road stuff yet, it looks like really hard work.

kayak23

There was only a couple of pretty tricky bits. One being the very first lane we dropped in to!
    Totally doable by most people at their own pace I’d have thought.

Having one or two people riding with you means that you can pick your way up things and have people help you lift over things if need be if you’re stalled out or drop the bike.

There were a couple of fairly spicy downhill bits too on damp pebbley sections with the main lines obscured a bit by overgrown foliage actually where I was something of a passenger at times I have to say.
    I can’t help noticing that it’s harder to stop a 200kg motorcycle than a 15kg mountainbike! 😊

crosshair
    Free Member

For me, it’s like my relationship with MTBing to be honest 🤣
    Occasionally I will hit the “flow state” and feel like a riding god but once I get in my own head about losing the front- I tense up and then of course, that makes everything 10x worse. It usually takes me 30-60 mins after road riding to get used to the bike moving around.

What’s clearly obvious is that the Himmy isn’t a limiter and a taller bike not an easy option 🤣
    It hindsight, you see the obvious lines and piece together how you should have tackled it but in the moment, it’s all about momentum and the Himmy with it’s low slung weight and tractor-torque is great at helping you out.
    Reading the website, I also had about 10psi too much in the trackers- they recommend 17.

There’s something quite Zen about it- in order not to drop the bike, you have to be willing to ride like you don’t care about dropping the bike, and that’s really tricky!

crosshair
    Free Member

Side stand problem solved 🤣 ✂️

kayak23

Good solution 😂👍

crosshair
    Free Member

Washed it yesterday and found a bolt missing out of the fork guard. Good job fitting the bash plate free’d up about twenty spare Allen bolts 🤣
    Luckily all the important fasteners have been paint marked so are easy to check.
    Vibey single off road is always gonna loosen a few up I’d say.

kayak23

Washed it yesterday

Sorry, what? 😉

To be fair, I think it’s about time that I washed mine and had a good bolt check.
    It’s developed an annoying buzz just before 5k revs that I’m struggling to isolate.

I thought it was the headlight rim as I’ve heard a few people put it to that in the owners groups but it looks like the first owner remedied that with some foam and tape.

I’m on the hunt to haemorrhage some more money at the moment, as after injuring my foot the other week, I’ve become more than a little paranoid that my boots aren’t up to the sort of off road riding that I’m doing.

I just bought boots that said ‘Adventure’ on them, but having become a bit more aware now, I’m seeing that they are really nothing more then touring boots and don’t offer enough protection.

Everything is so expensive! 😭😭😭

kayak23

The boots I would like to be good enough are the Sidi Adventure 2

Great boot, waterproof, but deep down I think that they are probably closer to a touring boot, albeit with better protection than usual.

The other boots in the running potentially are Sidi X-Power. Not waterproof but closer to an mx boot.

And the Gaerne Fastback Enduro boots. Also not waterproof, but would have to pair them with some Sealskinz socks.

The prices of these above goes lowest to highest.

Makes a pair of FiveTens seem positively reasonable! 😂

Skippy

I went to Sweet Lamb last week, highly recommended if only to find out I have a lot to learn. Anyway I noticed a few of the instructors were wearing the Sidi Adventure 2.

kayak23

I went to Sweet Lamb last week, highly recommended if only to find out I have a lot to learn. Anyway I noticed a few of the instructors were wearing the Sidi Adventure 2.

Thats cool. What was the training you did? Just a general sort of off-road type training?

Interesting about the boots. I’m supposed to be trying some on in a shop soon so will give them a good twist about and see how supportive and protective they are.

Skippy

Yes, I went there for some training, it’s a great place. We discussed kit and they said it’s a trade off with boots, you can go for the motocross style for more protection, but then they are not easy to walk in. The Sidi boots above are the middle ground. They also recommended one from Alpinestars, Tech 7?, my memory is not too good as I was falling asleep at that point with exhaustion after all the concentration.

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 588 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.