Home Forums Bike Forum Roof rack carrier – carbon frames – options?

• This topic has 20 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by reeksy.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Roof rack carrier – carbon frames – options?
  • heebyjeeby

Just wondering if anyone has any experience or advice regards the best options for carrying carbon framed bikes on car roof rack?

Any other options than the Thule 599 upride?  How are people getting on with the upride?  An AI generated summary of user reviews of it said that it is a bit trickier to load bike onto and that one or two users had experienced the bike falling off (probably through their own stupidity I suspect)…!!

joebristol

I just use a 598 with my carbon mtb frame. Although I’d be more nervous about my carbon road bike as that feels like it has much thinner down tube walls.

If you want a front wheel mount like the Upride there are also 2 options from Yakima / the front loader and Highroad. I think (but don’t quote me) they might have steel in them where the Thule has alloy so over time they can rot out. Can’t remember where I read that.

DrP

I use a yakima highroad – it grips the front wheel.
    I personally think that’s the best option as works with e bikes (BIIIG downtue as battery) and carbon frames etc.

previously i’d used the common thule ones, and TBH never had an issue with carbon frames. I just wanted the yakimas when i changed cars.

The only issue with yakimas is they are 24″ wheel minimum.

DrP

dc1988

I use a 598 on my MTB, the area where it clamps feels sturdy enough that I’ve not worried about it

scotroutes

I’ve carried hundreds of carbon bikes on standard Thule roof racks. The weight is supported by the wheels and the clamp is basically there to stop the bike from falling over – there’s no clamp it so tightly that you’d damage the frame.

hatter

Used an Upride for a while and it’s hard to see how the bike could escape if you’d installed it correctly, have a mate who still uses one to carry his carbon Enduro bike and a few years into using it he’s had no issues.

If you have a frame you don’t want to clamp your options are either this or a fork-mount system such as the TopRide.

The Topride is solid and makes your bike a bit less of a wind brake but then you have to deal with a muddy front wheel inside the car.

richardkennerley

I’ve used a Thule 591 to carry my carbon road bike (and non carbon MTB) without giving it a second thought…. Didn’t know I should be thinking about!? My bike is still in one piece.

pdw
    Free Member

I’ve got a bunch of Yakima Highroads. They work well, but can be too short for large MTBs. I’ve done a thoroughly warranty-voiding mod to one of mine to make it fit my bike.

Comparison I read seemed to prefer the Yakima over the Thule, and the Thule was a load more expensive so an easy choice.

mert
    Free Member

I’ve currently got 591 and 598 and back in the day a handful of 532s with rags wrapped round the down tube (both v.light aluminium and CF).

I’ve never damaged a bike on a rack. (Even the thule Hangon i keep in the back of the car for emergencies!)

heebyjeeby

Wow thanks for all the replies.
    tbh I’ve been using a 591 previously without any issues but it was scuffing the frames on both down tube and seat tube.  Got a nice shiny new frame and was thinking about changing

bfw

Always used Thule for no other reason than availability, also always used fork mounts as I didnt want a lightweight carbon frame squeezed or scratched.  Last couple of years I use the fork mounts that I have a few lying about and the VW rack on my van that grips the frame and tyres, but I still keep the grip away from the frames whenever possible/with road bikes and grip the seat post, or worst case the downtube where the seat post runs

rockhopper70

I have an upride for my carbon frame mtb.

One thing I have noticed, and I had an exchange with Thule about it, is the locking cams are absolute swines to get fixed correctly.  On the older Thule rack I have, you could usually alter then tension in the cams very slightly with a full turn of the cam lever. For some reason, on the upride, a full turn of the lever goes from feeling too slack when locked, to impossible to get over the cam profile. I’ve had to slide the rack out of the t bars, turn the lever half turn then slide it back in to see if that is the sweet spot. Honestly, I wouldn’t get another due to it being incredibly frustrating.

Also, and I don’t know if it a common thing, but my bike has fallen out once when the locking loop that goes behind the front wheel disengaged and dropped back down. The bike fell sideways and, very fortunately, the bar end hit the roof bar so there was no contact between bike and roof.  Having a closer subsequent look, the little tapered plunger that is on the end of the tension wire, wasn’t correctly engaged in the hoop lock. It seems to have got a bit seized and I assumed when clicking the rear hoop into place, that it had locked secure.  It hadn’t. So do check this everytime you load a bike on.

TL:DR. Don’t think I’d get another.

dmorts

I have a Yakima High Road. It’s nice and their stuff is on par, if not better than, Thule. Got it from the Roof Box Company

Check it can take your bike though, wheel base length etc.

seriousrikk

I use a Thule 568 Topride which is a fork mounted one. Properly solid and works a treat – just need a wheel bag for the car.

dc1988

The 598 is a nice upgrade to the 591, everything just works a little bit better. Yes those types of rack will scratch your frame so a bit of helicopter tape in the right place is needed to avoid that. The 598 has a torque limiter built in and the clamp is soft and has a lip to stop the frame sliding out sideways.

acidchunks

Thule UpRide here.  No issues but only used once so far.  I prefer using a towbar rack so bikes only go on the roof when the trailer comes out to play.

Definitely more suitable than the ProRide I was using previously (clamped the frame at an awkward point so the contact patch was less than ideal ) Did consider a Yakima highroad but the price difference was negligible so went with Thule.

Winstanleys was the cheapest (new) at the time

https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/thule-upride-bike-rack

jkomo

598 is fine- don’t clamp It up too tight and wrap Velcro thing round the tube and clamp- it won’t move.

onewheelgood

I’ve been carrying carbon bikes quite happily on my Thule 591s, but I did get a couple of these https://www.thule.com/en-gb/bike-rack/accessories/thule-carbon-frame-protector-_-1692661

reeksy

Comparison I read seemed to prefer the Yakima over the Thule, and the Thule was a load more expensive so an easy choice

I’ve had both and the Yakima were considerably nicer to fit and remove from racks and to load bikes on and off IMHO.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.