Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 443 total)
  • Road rage assault on cyclist – victim sought
  • user-removed
    Free Member

I like waiting at lights. Gives me a chance to catch my breath. On the whole, I side with the mouthy cyclist this time – can’t be arsed typing my feelings out so HoratioHufnagel +1.

grum
    Free Member

Cyclist initially did nothing wrong but was extremely aggressive after catching up – leaning right in and angrily shouting like that. I’d have felt pretty threatened – wouldn’t have got out and lamped him though.

I just wonder how people manage to get through the day when they get into a furious rage so easily. When I was commuting by bike I saw worse than that fairly regularly. Escalating the situation is never wise IMO.

crankboy
    Free Member

the flow chart seems to suggest the cylist was in the right up until the bit when he chased down the audi and swore . really you would expect a bigger push to prosecute drivers who enter asl’s as if complied with they certainly are a safty feature for cyclists . Most drivers in citys seem congenitaly incapable of stopping on stop lines we could probably pay off the national debt if they all got done for it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

was the car that jumped the red light and shot passed aggressive or threatening or just the cyclist swearing?

I dont disagree with what you say but you cannot overlook that the car driver did the same first – neither are acts I wish to defend nor overlook tbh but only one lot were illegal.
    It could have ben avoided by either behaving differently.

aracer
    Free Member

Swearing at somebody (not illegal) is just as bad as punching somebody (illegal) and crossing white line into ASL box (illegal)?

I’m not suggesting the cyclist was right to chase down the car and swear at them (for a start he clearly didn’t need to try that hard to catch the car at the next set of lights), but his actions don’t excuse anything any of the occupants of the car did, which were all totally out of proportion.

wwaswas

Edit: read a bit more now

jekkyl

Age sex location box?

Susie
    Free Member

He says the car ran over his foot. Not sure I’d be able to cycle that fast if my foot had just been run over. But if he was telling the truth, wouldn’t you swear at the person who’d done it? I’m sure I would.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Reverse the situation. Cyclist does something that the driver thinks is out of order. 1st he reverses up and tells him. Then when the cyclist zooms off, driver follows him, gets up close to him at the next lights and starts swearing his head off and calling names. Cyclist punches him. Driver zooms off sheepishly. You’d all be hailing the cyclist a hero for standing up to the aggressive nasty Audi-driving bully. Think about it! 😀

drlex
    Free Member

aracer – Member

Swearing at somebody (not illegal)
    […]

Do you disagree with damo2576’s point about Public Order offences?

Threatening, abusive or insulting language in a public place falls under the Public Order Act. It an offence to use threatening, abusive or insulting language with the intention of causing someone else harassment, alarm or distress.

imnotverygood

Magnatoms’s Flow Chart. Firstly, it’s just some bloke’s view of how to use an ASL. He’s entitled to his view, but I’d I drew a venn diagram or whatever it might look nice butit wouldn’t be any more authoritative than it just being my opinion. Secondly, every time Mags posts a video, and he does a lot, he gets slagged off by people criticising him for doing so. In fact, by people saying exactly the same sort of things here. This forum seems to gave a high proportion of people who don’t understand city riding…

IanW
    Free Member

Think about it

Thought about it and your wrong; no one would be celebrating a cyclists doing something illegal then assaulting a person.

Suggest you think about it..again.

asterix
    Free Member

dont understand who is seeking the cyclist or why

crankboy
    Free Member

Swearing is not illegal per se. I find it hard to see anything that could be the foot getting run over on the video and from the cyclists lack of interest in the Audi until the Audi driver drives into the ASL nothing to suggest a prior incident.

wwaswas

I think it’s the ‘this is awful, something ought to be done about it’ instinct kicking in.

The actual victim’s probably trying to forget all about it whilst the world of social media is doing it’s usual ‘let’s be detectives and find someone who may not want to be found’ thing.

Plus someones got a good video of it and it woudl be a shame to waste it.

jekkyl

+1 for thank god I don’t live in London…. & so many people. That’s what I would struggle with the most…. wherever you go there’s always somebody there…Where I live I can literally cycle 5 minutes and be on deserted rural roads.

ton

I have just studied the clip again…….and in hindsight, the cyclist deffo got his just deserts….. 😀

travo
    Free Member

The video should have been titled ‘overly aggressive, confontational **** gets his comeuppance’ saying he didn’t deserve it is just dumb, he chased after someone then approached him screaming abuse in a threatening manner, personaly I’d see him a threat thinking he could resort to violance anytime and would have smacked him too.
    If that was a lone women in the car he would have no doubt acted the same and left her scared sh1tless.
    It’s the only time I’ve ever wanted to congratulate an audi driver!

Anyhow, I thought this was a mountain bike forum, what are a load of roadies doing on here starting arguments? I don’t remember seeing any audis on any “singletrack” I’ve been on.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Ian, I’ve thought about it again, and I think I still have a valid point. Maybe you wouldn’t hail him a hero but my point was that the tone of a lot of peoples replies may be somewhat different. I’m not siding with either, and in my reply on page one, I already stated that the driver wasn’t justified in punching him, just highlighting an alternative way of looking at the situation – that the cyclist was the aggressor in the confrontation.

scotroutes

There’s a surprising number of people on this thread who have no idea what the ASL is for. Given that, perhaps the driver can be excused for not knowing either. Mind you, drivers have to undergo compulsory testing before being allowed out on their own. Perhaps if cyclists were too we’d have fewer folk excusing this ones illegal behavior.

Edit: wunundred!!

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

cyclist was in the right, in london its safer to fill up the width of the ASL zone rather than form a long queue in the gutter alongside cars/vans and lorrys. It feels a very unsafe place to sit if there are lots of cyclists.

sure the bike rider over reacted but he did not deserve the assault.

mespv
    Free Member

We watched this at work a few times and the drivers door is ajar when the guy gets out, then he gets back in the drivers side. Surely its the driver that did the punching and he just put his jumper back on after his fisty cuffs..

Driver is a tool and needs a fine, forward it to the rozzas and let them decide. If they can charge people for speeding via youtube videos they can sort this out easily enough.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hmm.

Initial incident? Yep, nothing wrong with a little polite remonstration with the car driver, who at that point was certainly in the wrong. After that? Just leg him go off on his merry way to wrap his car around a lamp post or something. Perhaps even raise an eyebrow and say to a fellow cyclist, “What an idiot, eh?”

However, to chase him down? Asshat. Needless confrontation. What did he hope to achieve?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Something unrealistic like an apology from the driver and an admission of their driving error – i never chase down as they never do this so I agree it is pointless. That said the assault us still an assault and that [ and the RLJ] are by far the worse offences here and we should focus in that rather than point out how the victim could have avoided it – they always could have done something different but they are always still the victim.

but his actions don’t excuse anything any of the occupants of the car did, which were all totally out of proportion.

THIS

gets his comeuppance’ saying he didn’t deserve it is just dumb, he chased after someone then approached him screaming abuse in a threatening manner, personaly I’d see him a threat thinking he could resort to violance anytime and would have smacked him too.

If you enter an ASL area illegally [ I assume because they thought they were taking his place] is not aggressive ? Is it not reasonable to think someone may point it out to you and complain?
    When you then drive aggressively through it hitting them/just missing them it is still unreasonable to think they might swear at you and when they do you can smack them and it is all there fault.
    Just not following this tbh
    I agree chasing him down and swearing was unwise but only one road user was breaking the law the other was just being a bit angry after provocation [ though apparently it is there fault and they deserved it]- they over reacted a bit though but I am not seeing how you cannot say the car over reacted a lot at each incident.

martinhutch

Chances are the cyclist would be done for a public order offence if he did come forward, even if it meant the passenger got done for assault.

Nothing stopping the police ticketing the driver straight away for the ASL offence if they’re that concerned about it.

ton

one thing I would like to add…….the driver punches like a girl… 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

Chances are the cyclist would be done for a public order offence if he did come forward, even if it meant the passenger got done for assault.

Indeed their is a chance of that however there is a certainty over the drivers/passengers two offences – should we not focus on them?

wilko1999
    Free Member

Love how he’s got another girly haymaker wound up and ready to go should the cyclist suddenly decide to stand up for himself. You can hear in the cyclists voice as he shouts ‘EFFING PR1CK, YOU Nearly ran over my foot mate’, by the time he gets to nearly ran over my foot, he’s looked in the car and didn’t like what he saw. At that point all the aggression has suddenly drained out of him to be replaced by a little fear at what may be about to happen. His voice goes very meek at the end of his sentence.

EDIT : Just to add, yes the car occupants are in the wrong

hora
    Free Member

From that clip it was the cyclists right to sit anywhere within the box but why the need to backup alongside his car- that’d worry me as a driver that he’d catch the paint. Soo many points where the cyclist could have let it go.

Sorry, unless you are willing/able to escalate then you should chalk up any remarks/provocation. I’ve waved my hand in the air before/done the shake beans-thing and had someone slam on for instance.

martinhutch

My point (badly expressed) was that the cyclist probably won’t bother coming forward for that reason, so the police should get on with the traffic offence, as that’s clear-cut.

You would have thought that the system was broken if they couldn’t locate and haul in the passenger in for a chat about the incident on the basis of third-party video alone.

Northwind

asterix – Member

I don’t know, is it because they’ve got witnesses and proof of 2 different crimes committed within about 1 minute, and they’d quite like the raging cock who committed them to not do it again?

kimbers

can I get a top-tube friendly printout of that flow chart, so i can examine it carefully as I approach ASLs? 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

that’d worry me as a driver that he’d catch the paint. Soo many points where the cyclist could have let it go.

Perhaps better to drive legally if you worry about your paint work??
    So many where the driver could have not started it or broken the law or over reacted to – people legally being in an ASL box, someone pointing out the law to them and then someone swearing at them but yes lets focus on the cyclist and what they could have done as the driver was “provoked” 🙄

scotroutes

Q. Where did the cyclist disappear off to? I didn’t see any right turn that he might otherwise have taken if he hadn’t been so caught up in his little war.

hora
    Free Member

Junkyard especially around Manchester you could possibly be looking at serious harm. Is it really really worth standing up for your right when faced with a 2ton lump of metal and/or god knows what contained within?

I read recently that the road rager you experience didn’t just kick off at you, he’ll have gotten out of the bed angry and been slowly building up until someone causes him to spill over the edge.

Let that person be someone else.

Last night someone tried indicating into my lane whilst alongside me – I gave him a short-beep to alert him that I was there- he flashed me pulled alongside and said ‘dont you know what an indicator means pal’.

I explained to him about hatchings/give-way and indicators don’t mean you have a right to change lane, only when safe to do so. There were two blokes in the car. Afterwards mrshora pointed out that I was right but surely ‘was it worth it’ (just incase?).

No I guess.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Let that person be someone else.

Agreed. It’s just not worth getting angry, in a car, on a bike, on foot, whatever. Just let it slide.

ton

hora, nail on the head mate.
    with some of the folk knocking around the city centers nowadays I try to avoid as much confrontation as possible.
    you may think you are a bit tough or such…..but there are far far worse folk knocking about.

hora
    Free Member

you may think you are a bit tough or such…..but there are far far worse folk knocking about.

Yep- plus you can be a pretty good puncher but some folk literally are one-punch hitters who even when your down wont stop.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

^^And if Mr Fist Pie himself says that…^^

😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

Is it really really worth standing up for your right when faced with a 2ton lump of metal

Depends tbh

As for the rest whilst you may be correct they are still the victim of the asshat and not the cause.

I agree its almost always unwise to say anything to a driver as they dont go oh fair point mate i am so sorry i will alter my driving but , if someone does moan, it does not justify an assault and that is what we should be focusing on here

PS its amazing how many folk think an indicator gives them the right of way

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 443 total)

The topic ‘Road rage assault on cyclist – victim sought’ is closed to new replies.