Road rage assault on cyclist – victim sought

Home Forum Bike Forum Road rage assault on cyclist – victim sought

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 443 total)
  • Road rage assault on cyclist – victim sought
  • Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfdvIfT8H5c[/video]

(cue lots of people saying it’s all the cyclist’s fault)

TheBrick

Surely the footage with his number plate is pretty good and you can see the cyclist dodging the punch?

project

The car was registered in Northampton,

lazybike

Another day in paradise…

drlex

Driver is a nasty thug, but if you’re going to chase after him & shout at the window that he’s an [expletive deleted], then either handbags or a punishment pass are the two most likely outcomes.

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

It’s the cyclist being sought, not the driver (for those of you thinking the driver is the victim πŸ˜‰ ) – no charges without a victim. Oh, and the thug throwing punches isn’t the driver either.

Clearly the driver does break the law, but πŸ˜† at the thought of getting the police to charge somebody for an ASL offence.

damo2576

The driver was out of order – but no need for the cyclist to chase after him and call him a fcking prick. Deserved a punch.

Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

why did the cyclist block the forward box by going 3 abreast?

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

damo2576 wrote:

Deserved a punch.

Yes, clearly that’s always the correct response to somebody swearing at you πŸ™„

brakes

Cyclist was too aggressive, though we didn’t see what might have gone on previously – there’s not a great deal of space for bikes and cars on that section as it narrows from two lanes.
    Didn’t deserve a punching though.
    Shame the other cyclists didn’t pile in after.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

ton – Member

because its the safest place to be, and those ASLs fill up quickly in that London, its only courtesy to move over otherwise other cyclists are forced to queue up the inside of cars

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

Firstly, in that situation with a clear road ahead, I wouldn’t have gone into the ASL at all, I’d just have waited in the queue of other riders. It’s obvious that the car can make a clear unimpeded run away from the lights so why bother overtaking it, it’s only going to come straight back past you.

Yes, the Audi driver was a knob to attempt to intrude on the lane like that but then what reaction did the rider think he was going to get chasing him down and screaming abuse?

Both as bad as each other.

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

bakes wrote:

Cyclist was too aggressive, though we didn’t see what might have gone on previously

I think you see everything relevant – started by driver being a **** in the ASL box, and according to cyclist’s claim then running over his foot.

SiB

Makes me realise how lucky I am to have a relatively quiet commute, nothing about above clip looks enjoyable.

As for the ‘assault’….I watched it without sound so I stand to be corrected but cyclist looked aggressive and threatening, might have asked driver to get out…….I would have got out and who knows what would have happened??

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Edit: too slow.

project

It was the rear seat pasenger that did the punching, look for him opening the rear drivers side door, unless he is so thick he got in the wrong door.The driver has a grey jumper on, the thug just a white shirt.

Must have been an intresting journey into work after that.

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

crazy-legs wrote:

Both as bad as each other.

Stupid comments were predicted πŸ™„

Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

so cyclists who are going straight on, fill up the box blocking cars from going straight on?
    why not use common sense, stay 2 abreast and do not create a situation.

TheBrick

kimbers – Member

ton – Member

because its the safest place to be, and those ASLs fill up quickly in that London, its only courtesy to move over otherwise other cyclists are forced to queue up the inside of cars[/quote]

Also that section of road is not one where you gain anything by overtaking its a short stretch and as was shown, the people whom the driver overtook got the the traffic lights at the same change.

damo2576

Yes, clearly that’s always the correct response to somebody swearing at you

No of course not. But in that context, creating a confrontation as the cyclist did, frankly you deserve to get punched or should at least be prepared for that outcome.

Sure the driver was impatient and stupid to pull to the side to get away at the lights but it did not put the cyclist in danger and it was the cyclists own behaviour that brought the confrontation about.

wilko1999

If you are going to shout expletives at someone through their window you better be prepared for some sort of retort. Some people shout back, some people try and hide and some are violent. That’s life. If you aren’t prepared to back up your aggressive name-calling, learn some restraint in the first place.

I’m not saying the driver was justified in punching him btw but chasing him down and having a go at him was just daft, he ruined his own day.

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

damo2576 wrote:

No of course not. But in that context, creating a confrontation as the cyclist did, frankly you deserve to get punched

Deserve? Really?

project

I’m not saying the driver was justified in punching him btw but chasing him down and having a go at him was just daft, he ruined his own day.

Dont the police get paid to do that every day.

Junkyard

Who cares it a box for cyclists that a car RLJ’s in order to endanger them – that is what the big white line means and jumoping ahead of them saved them no time though they did get to the next red light marginally quicker than the cyclist – it was a pointless overtake.

IME if someone is that aggressive best to let them pass you – they are a swear word though.
    Not that helpful a response by the cyclist though he is still the victim if an assault.

Premier Icon takisawa2
    Subscriber

Take the bikes out of the equation & you get some bloke mouthing off & getting a smack for his trouble.

Jamie

Dont the police get paid to do that every day.

Heh…

taxi25

Firstly, in that situation with a clear road ahead, I wouldn’t have gone into the ASL at all, I’d just have waited in the queue of other riders. It’s obvious that the car can make a clear unimpeded run away from the lights so why bother overtaking it, it’s only going to come straight back past you.

^^^ This, When your just going to hold up cars with a clear run in front of them. Gave up doing it a long time ago.

Premier Icon garage-dweller
    Subscriber

I have nit watched the footage but on the point of asl use generally I would have thought that the more people that can get in it the better.

1 – it is infinitely easier to be seen when directly in front of a waiting car than down its left hand and typically most blind side.
    2 – the cyclists waiting to the left get more gassed from exhaust fumes while waiting to pull away in a line.

I wouldn’t sit bang in the middle of one too go straight on if the only person waiting but I wouldn’t box my fellow cyclists in down the side of a queue of traffic for some ungrateful sod in a car either.

As a driver I know why the asl is there it is to give bikes priority and as such I should and do respect their right to be in it.

Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

it is common courtesy to ride 2 abreast in England, the cyclist went 3 wide blocking other road users way. the cyclist was out of order, things escalated, the cyclist got his twopenneth.

damo2576

Deserve? Really?

Yes. Really. Agressive, shouting, swearing, banging on his window. Create those situations and you deserve some kind of response. He’s probably just got away with it before because its been little old ladies or something.

trail_rat

Ton – thats not riding. That is queing

Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

I agree, sorry, but he blocked others way when he had no need to.

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

He didn’t bang on the window, and strangely the law says that hitting somebody is assault, but swearing at them isn’t. I’m still trying to process the idea that you “deserve” violence for swearing at somebody who’s just endangered you. For reference the driver “created” the situation by breaking the law in the first place.

Junkyard

a clear run in front of them

so they reach the lights marginally quicker than the cyclist then block them in again – its not a “clear run” its a shared use space. you may as well ask all the cars to park up to give all cyclist a clear run
    Why does the driver not just sit behind as they are not going any faster than the cyclist

IME you get it all the time they overtake unsafely to only join the traffic jam and then they repeat this over and over again.

The law states we can do this so we do. Sitting on the inside is not that great if someone decides to turn left either so it gets the majority of cyclists out the danger crush zone where the drivers can easily see them and give them the courtesy they deserve

the cyclist went 3 wide blocking other road users way

How did he block then? They are not legally allowed in that space? I am sure they would have filtered so they could get to the next red ahead of them where of course they would block the road with their car.

Even when cyclist does what the law says and the car does not some cyclist argue we are being inconsiderate πŸ™„

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

Stupid comments were predicted

Sorry but in this instance, the cyclist created the incident himself. He didn’t HAVE to go into the ASL, it’s not a rule. By going into it, he prevented the car from making one nice clean getaway. I don’t condone the driver’s actions in attempting to get round him like that but can you understand why the driver might just have got a tiny bit frustrated by that?

He had a nice clear road. But by boxing him in like that, the cyclist has actually made the situation for him, the driver and the other cyclists MORE dangerous. The driver now has to negotiate several bikes all moving off at different speeds – before that, he could have got away without endangering anyone. There was zero advantage for the cyclist in being there, all he did was piss off another road user (who at that point had done nothing wrong).

Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

Why does the driver not just sit behind as they are not going any faster than the cyclist

this works in reverse too.

Kevevs

Love the background traintracks sounding like The Terminator soundtrack πŸ˜€

Ramsey Neil

Cyclists fault as far as I’m concerned . The driver shouldn’t have been in the box but it wasn’t the cyclists job to point that out to him and chasing him down and swearing at him is disgraceful behaviour . Had the cyclist not acted in the way he did then the incident would not have happened .

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

crazy-legs wrote:

Sorry but in this instance, the cyclist created the incident himself.

Well apart from the fact that the cyclist didn’t break the law and both the driver and his passenger did. Though apparently despite that they’re both as bad as each other πŸ™„

Presumably we should just get rid of ASL boxes as you see no point to them?

TheBrick

IME you get it all the time they overtake unsafely to only join the traffic jam and then they repeat this over and over again.

Exactly. In traffic with regular traffic lights you can consider either the car to be slowed down by the cyclist having to overtake after each traffic light or the cyclists being obstructed by the car by having to re-overtake at each queue or slow moving section. There is no difference. The mean speed of both is the same, just because one momentary reached a higher speed is irrelevant.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 443 total)

The topic ‘Road rage assault on cyclist – victim sought’ is closed to new replies.