Home Forums Bike Forum Road bike mudguards

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Road bike mudguards
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I have a Cube Attain from 2020 and I specifically bought it because it had mudguard mounts, and they made mudguards for it.  However it seems that they might not be making the mudguards any more, which worries me – I’ve already broken them once and repaired them but that might not be possible in future. The ‘mounts’ in question on the bike are not the traditional style holes that go into the dropout area from the side, they are drilled into the drouputs from back to front, which makes them at 90 degrees to a typical mount.  I don’t think that this is unique to Cube as other carbon/fancy frames seem to have the same setup.

Does anyone make mudguards that bolt on like this? I can’t find any.

ads678

The suns out for once this year, embrace it!

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm, found these:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mudguards/sks-direct-straight-fork-mounts-pair/

Any experiences?

The suns out for once this year, embrace it!

I started thinking about mudguards because I was going to remove them and now it’s pissing it down, and cold too.

slowol

No experience of those mounts but I used these ones https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mudguards/sks-suntour-angle-bracket/ to fit guards to the rearward facing mounts on the Suntour fork on my wife’s hybrid. It seemed expensive for a tiny bracket but they work well.

Will try to take a photo when I get home tonight.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Shirley regular stays could be bent to work with this set up?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

If Cube have stopped producing their guards again, that isn’t good. Was a similar situation when I got my Attain in ’17, lots of rumours of a new batch, which finally happened about two years later and I got a set.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ah right, I might pick up a spare set if they become available.

footflaps

they are drilled into the drouputs from back to front, which makes them at 90 degrees to a typical mount.

Wife’s Ribble is like that, I just bend the mudguard stays in a vice so the end is a 90 degree bend.

wheelsonfire1

As above, I believe Trek use the same system, you might pay a premium but they’ll be good!

peekay

I have a different bike, but the same mounting placement.

https://www.merlincycles.com/kinesis-fend-off-road-bike-mudguards-173910.html

I use these, but bent the front stays by the loop 90deg. Seems to well very well.

They are fantastically sturdy full metal mudguards, much better than any flimsy chromoplastic junk.

footflaps

Yep I use Kinesis fend off mudgaurds as well.

Very good quality build. SKS ones only lasted a few years in my experience, then would just shatter into multiple pieces mid ride.

molgrips
    Free Member

Thanks for the adapter tips and confirmation that bending the wire loops works. However those Bontrager guards are very ugly.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Does no one yet make a decent full length guard for disk braked bikes without mounts?

Seems like all the new shiny race bikes with 32mm clearance are crying out for something to make them work year round.

peekay

Does no one yet make a decent full length guard for disk braked bikes without mounts?

Are you asking why there are no decent full length mudguards that fit bikes with disc brakes, and the bike itself does not have a mounting point? If so, you can get clips that fix to your frame to create the fixed mounting point that the mudguard can then fix to.

Or are you asking why there are no decent full length mudguards that fit bikes with disc brakes, and the mudguard itself is designed in such a way that it does not require there to be any additional mounts within the bike frame for it to fix to? For example it just affixes to the crown and seat stays of the bike via an elastic strap? If so, then they will be flimsy wobbly things.

slowol

Pics of SKS L shaped clips used on a Suntour fork with standard chromoplastic type guards. Works well on the bike pictured.

IMG_20240417_183449_HDRIMG_20240417_183452_HDR

molgrips
    Free Member

If so, then they will be flimsy wobbly things.

SKS raceguards are as good as it gets, but they aren’t full length.

peekay

SKS raceguards are as good as it gets, but they aren’t full length.

Yes,  but if they were full length, they would be flimsy wobbly things.

jameso

Adaptors as posted above. Then SKS P-series chromoplastics, or Velo Orange Alu guards if you have more time and money.

I’ve got a gen 2 Genesis Equilibrium that’s 14 years old and still in use, has the P35s on that I fitted when I built it up. It’s been my winter bike all that time and only had 3 or 4 winters when other bikes were used more. Fit them well with leather washers etc and they last a long time.

The Velo Orange 40mm guards on another bike are what I’d buy next though. For the OPs bike the stays can be bent and the fitting would be ok at a 90deg angle but you’d need to be confident they won’t jam as the QR function would be affected.

roger_mellie

*** Thread resurrection***

@molgrips
    Did you decide on a solution? I too have a Cube Attain and can’t find the right Cube guards in stock.

I may bodge some old SKS guards, but I will need new stays as the old ones are too short, so a whole new solution may be better value in the long term…

Ben_H

Portland Design Works products will also fit these mounts and function perfectly, though like Velo Orange the upfront investment is higher than others.

molgrips
    Free Member

I didn’t, and this came up again as I just put my guards on again but they are beaten up. It’ll be adapters for me plus normal guards, but I do like the Portland ones. But they might be heavy.

roger_mellie

Ta. I’ll keep looking.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Those SKS things look brilliant. My Felt has rear facing threads at the back and I used old  (when new as I have a box of 50 of them) threaded holder for the cable adjusters on old side pull brakes.  They thread in and present a single threaded eye to the normal eyes on stay. |A bit like those SKS one but single not double.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.