Home Forums Bike Forum Reshaping a water bottle with heat

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Reshaping a water bottle with heat
  • bikesandboots

Anyone done it successfully, on a Fidlock or similar?

It turns out the bottle bosses on my frame can only take the manufacturer’s own non-adjustable Fidlock base, which is positioned such that the only bottle that’ll fit is the Fidlock 600. That’s the one without a flip mud cap, and of course Fidlock have different threads on each cap style which aren’t compatible so leak.

The 590 (type with flip cap) almost fits but they’ve changed the offset of the bottle along the mount by a few mm, so the corner of that bottle contacts an internal corner of the frame. I need to reduce the protrusion marked by the red line, by about 5mm:

bottle

tthew

Unlikely edge case, but given the moulding is likely to be a bit thicker on the corner, I reckon it’d work by pressing it on a hot, flat surface. Try it with an old, cheap bottle first.

But what ridiculous frame uses a proprietary version of a proprietary product? Do the community a favour and out this nonsense so people know to avoid it.

cookeaa

Pour some boiling water in the bottom and press on a flat surface for a bit?

Or try a hair drier?

bikesandboots

But what ridiculous frame uses a proprietary version of a proprietary product? Do the community a favour and out this nonsense so people know to avoid it.

Mondraker Neat.

The upside is that all frame sizes (I think) can carry both a bottle (under the top tube) and range extender (on the downtube) at the same time.

There’s rectangular recesses in the frame into which the Fidlock bases fit exactly. You could flip them to reposition in theory but then you’d lose the aforementioned ability.

Photo 1/3rd of the way down here https://ebike-mtb.com/en/mondraker-neat-rr-sl-2023-review/, and this is the base https://www.mammothbikes.com/en/mondraker-kit-base-botella-fidlock/p-535739

tthew

Ah right. Well I guess there’s all sorts of compromises to make if your legs don’t work properly. #brokenemojis

kormoran
    Free Member

Boiling water inside to warm the plastic up. Then apply more heat to the outside and press against a piece of wood to flatten.

Alternatively put it in a microwave and heat it up, or put in a pot of boiling water

You might need to bind it in the shape you want as it cools, some objects have a propensity to return to their original moulding

frogstomp

A YT Thirstmaster (4000 or 5000) might work for you – they have a chamfer in the area you mention. You can buy the bare bottle and transfer your connector. You might even find they use the same cap thread you need too..

bikesandboots

Turns out there’s a seal available to make the flip cap compatible with the old style bottles.

minus
    Free Member

Do you have a link to the adaptor seal? I’m struggling to find it on Google.

spicer
    Free Member

Check what plastic the bottle is made of and if it’s a thermoset-plastic (can’t be remoulded) or thermo-plastic (can be remoulded) before applying any heat, else you might just end up melting a hole in the bottle

bikesandboots

Do you have a link to the adaptor seal? I’m struggling to find it on Google.

No, it doesn’t seem to be for retail sale. Will update here once I hear back from support.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.