Home Forums Bike Forum Repairing leg grippers

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Repairing leg grippers
  • lovewookie

I’ve a set of very old Nike ACG knee warmers that get frequent spring/autumn use. they’re still in great condition and I’m loathed to chuck them, but the silicone gripper is patchy at best and they tend to slip down over a ride to nora batty standards.

I’ve seen the repair trick using hot glue, but does it work? anyone tried it with some success? anything else siliconey that may work?

TIA

leffeboy

Never tried it and doubt it would work as hit glue usually feels smooth after it dries.  I would be tempted just to sew a band of new siliconed elastic in the inside and then you get a nice tight fit again

https://www.amazon.com.be/-/nl/GORGECRAFT-siliconen-elastische-doe-het-zelf-accessoires/dp/B0BHWVQFXN

paddy0091
    Free Member

Ask a haberdashery – bloke in our club gets his sleeves extended (or something) through using the grippers from older bit of kit. The ladies in there replace, sow, etc, it all up for him for barely any £££

lovewookie

doubt it would work as hit glue usually feels smooth

do you mean smooth as in smooth, or just not ‘sticky’? I suspect the latter.

I’ve a glue gun so may try it out on a small area and see if it holds and works, otherwise I’ll try the new elastic approach.

cheers

kayak23

Could you use self adhesive velcro patches glued or stapled around your leg, and the opposite inside the shorts?

Otherwise, this.

Screenshot_20241003-135553

lovewookie

Could you use self adhesive velcro patches glued or stapled around your leg, and the opposite inside the shorts?

considering it’s the upper gripper of the knee warmer, which sits quite high on my thigh, I’d be concerned that I’d just end up velcroing my balls to my thighs.

kayak23

Keeps them out of trouble.

oldnick

Smear silicone sealant on as a grippy surface? Seems to work well judging by my work trousers!

lovewookie

Update.

Thought the above maybe worth a go. Out came the bathroom silicone sealant. Stretch the top of the warmers over a plant pot, smear sealant where the grippers were, leave overnight to go off.

Used them today on a 2.5 hour wiggle through the woods and they didn’t budge. Works a treat.

Not sure how they’ll handle a wash, but at least they’re still alive!

chaos

Think that could work to stop a jersey / jacket riding up?  got a couple that I feel I have to tug down at the back a lot so I was thinking a bit of silicone along the inner hem at the back and perhaps even some on the back of the bib shorts / baggies where they overlap.

oldnick

It isn’t pretty but adds life to gloves too when the grippy graphics peel off.

lovewookie

Definitely not pretty.

Works for me for silicone on skin, not sure about clothes on clothes, but don’t see why it shouldn’t work for jersey hems.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.