Home Forums Bike Forum Removing BB30a bearings

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Removing BB30a bearings
  • martinm116
    Free Member

I need to replace the bearings in the bb on my road bike. From looking at the BB though it looks like they are sitting in cups inside the frame, there is a lip on inside that looks it will be very hard to tap out the bearing without the cups coming out as well as very little of the bearing is on exposed on the inside of the frame.
    Is it bad if the cups come out as well or is this just normal? And if they do come up out do you just push them back into the frame?

Blazin-saddles

BB30a shouldn’t have any cups. It is 2 bearings pushed straight into the bottom bracket shell seated against circlips in a groove. What you’re seeing might be the circlips. You can get proper removal tools but if the bearings are scrap then just drift them out but try not to hit the circlips and bend them.

joebristol

As said above – bb30a is a Cannondale fitment – I’ve got it on my caad12 disc. I bought some tools for removing the bearings and pressing new ones in. Might have been from Burton tools – I forget now.

The removal tool essential is a drift that has 2 wings that sit against the bearing and you just bash it and the bearing flies across the garage. New bearings went in with the press tool like a dream.

I was dreading the job but it was really easy.

joebristol

This is the site I got my tools from:

https://www.burtonbikes.com/store/BB30-c60503189

At the time it was just the ‘classic’ removal tool I bought. For a couple of quid more I’d now buy the ‘pro’ removal tool as it’s a more gentle way of removing the bearing.

I’ve got the classic bearing press tool they sell for putting them back in. Given how rarely I change a bb bearing I didn’t think it was worth the extra to have fancy handles.

cp

As above, plain BB30A has the bearings pressed directly into the frame. There’s usually a circlip just inside each bearing to locate them/set them in the correct location in the shell.

I just use a screwdriver and hammer to hit them out – be careful to hit the bearing and not the circlip. I use a press at work to put the new bearings in, but you can use a vice if you have one which opens up big enough.

If it really does look like it’s got an adaptor/cups in the frame it’s possible you have an aftermarket adaptor to allow other (e.g Shimano) cranks to be used. e.g. this one

Wheels Manufacturing BB30A to Outboard Btm. Bracket for 24mm (Shimano) Cranks – Black

What sort of cranks are on? Are you able to share any pics?

Alternatively, it might also be PF30A (Don’t you love Cannondale and their standards), which does have cups in the frame.

More info here:-

https://wheelsmfg.com/bb30a-tech-info

footflaps

Good reminder, I need to buy some BB tools for my new bike…..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got the Burton tools as well, they really do make it a 5 minute job with zero stress. Although mine are the older versions without the handles so it comes out with socket on the nut.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Removing BB30a bearings’ is closed to new replies.