Home Forums Bike Forum Recommended liner/undershorts please

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Recommended liner/undershorts please
  • filks

Can anyone recommend as above? I have used endura for a while now but have had some issues recently so would like to try something else.

What would you recommend?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Bibs, much nicer, lots of people suggesting the upper ranges from decathalon, I got 3 sets from Louis Garneau when they were on offer (think there is a near permanent Evans offer on them)

jamj1974

The new Endura Singletrack seem pretty good.  Work best with Endura shorts that use the popper attachment.  Much more comfortable than the originals – although my few pairs had seen a lot of miles.

mikeys

CRC have Morvelo undershorts on offer at £20 this week. Can’t recommend them or not as mine haven’t arrived yet.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Cheers for the heads up Mikeys…😁

Have ordered a pair ..having previously read good things about them ..

You mention it in your post but worth re-emphasising that this offer is for one week only..

Bib shorts while more effective at staying in place are a nightmare if you need a mid ride pee…

rocketman
    Free Member

The Morvelos are great

daern
    Free Member

Bib shorts while more effective at staying in place are a nightmare if you need a mid ride pee…

If you’re a girl, yes unquestionably. If you’re a bloke, not even in the slightest!

Worn nowt but bibs for years now and wouldn’t really consider anything else as they stay put when riding!

shifter
    Free Member

Thanks for the Morvelo psa, non-bibs ordered.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Daern ..worn underneath a top & a jacket with baggies ..you don’t have a problem ?

I ain’t no girl but neither am I hung like Errol Flynn ..you must be a roadie then and wear them with the straps on the outside of your top ..?😁

mikewsmith
    Free Member

was the thing about the offer replying to me? It seems to be on whenever I go there in some form. as for taking a piss with low fronted bibs (not the hideous winter creations) the lycra stretched just fine to get it out even on very cold days

you just need to pull them down a bit

daern
    Free Member

Daern ..worn underneath a top & a jacket with baggies ..you don’t have a problem ?

I ain’t no girl but neither am I hung like Errol Flynn ..you must be a roadie then and wear them with the straps on the outside of your top ..?

Typical riding (not at the moment, it must be said!) would have a thermal top with bib straps layered on top, then a normal zip up jersey over the top. Optional baggies if MTB rather than road. At the moment, it would just be bibs and jersey + optional baggies.

Just hoik up the jersey, stretch down the front of the bibs, have a bit of a rummage around inside, extract the contents (a two handed job, it goes without saying ;-) ) and let rip. No need to strip off. I’d expect to be back riding in < 30s.

shifter
    Free Member

OP didn’t ask for a bibs recommendation, or a restart of the which is best debate, he asked about liner/undershorts.

daern
    Free Member

OP didn’t ask for a bibs recommendation, or a restart of the which is best debate, he asked about liner/undershorts.

Sure, and recommendations were made and acted on – I didn’t contribute as I only wear bibs these days. There was a side-question about bibs being less convenient than non-bibs when going for a pee, which was discussed. We’re a forum, we discuss things.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

@daren best leave those who can’t work out the penis/lycra manoeuvre alone ;) don’t want to upset them any more

hodgynd
    Free Member

Daern …😁

I do get that ..but where it falls down ( at least for me ) is that I have a fairly long body and have only ever tried the longer fronted version the end result being that there isn’t the option of a shake at the end ..with a warm feeling down the inside of my leg after the wedding tackle has been retrieved ..☺

Perhaps I will give the low slung version a try one day as described by Mike …

Edit ..why would you think I was upset..MWS ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

it was after shifters warnings there, just checking we were not going too far there…

As for the high fronted bibs, sure fire way to cook this time of year, whereas undershorts leads to the inevitable day when you get a strip of sunburn just above the waist belt

DezB
    Free Member

I don’t like bibs either. I’ve got a big arse and the straps always feel too tight, like they’re pulling down. And they’re hotter in summer as more of your body is covered. Can’t stand them .

Scott RC Pro shorts from Smartcycles were very good, in answer to the op – very lightweight and cool and the pad isn’t too thick, but a good shape. Smart seem to have run out, but worth a google to find bargains.

FOG

Got to agree with the non bibs contingent. I too have a long torso and bibs make me feel like a sumo wrestler massaging my grollocks back where the sun don’t shine. This feeling is even worse with baggies on top! I have tried a couple of brands but it must be down to my body shape

filks

Thanks all – I’ve gone for some of those Morvelo ones – can’t go wrong for £20. Am thinking about getting some bibs too now to see how they differ……😜

daern
    Free Member

Am thinking about getting some bibs too now to see how they differ

Don’t worry – you won’t be alone!

I wouldn’t wear them for years for all of the reasons listed above – they’re harder to get on and off and you look like a roadie tosser when you wear them. And then I bought a pair just to see what the fuss was about and I don’t think I’ve worn my non-bib shorts since. The big benefit for me is that they just stay put – they never change position, or slip down and, because they don’t have a waistline, I find that I get less discomfort from chafing around the waist than I did with the old shorts. (Disclaimer – I could do with losing a few – ahem – ounces from round the middle)

And now…well, I have become a bit of a roadie tosser and even wear them without baggies…in public…with pride!

*hangs head in shame*

GolfChick
    Free Member

I love my Madison liner shorts and even though I’m female my best mate recommended them in the first place and he’s a bloke so I’m pretty sure they’re fab irrespective of equipment!

jimmy

Was going to ask this very question, Morvelo’s ordered thanks.

Bibs are just odd btw.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Oooh ..just heard my morvelo’s are arriving today !

Excitement 😁

Pics later ..without me in them of course ..I wouldn’t put you through that !

hodgynd
    Free Member

£20.00..well spent ..great quality ..comfy pad and the elasticated waist keeps them nicely in place ( not that I have ridden in them yet ..

Very pleased

20180711_105748[/url] by Neil Hodgson[/url] – Flickr2BBcode LITE

SimonR

I like the Madison Flux ones – good pad and the mesh material on the legs make them really comfy and breathable.

However, the mesh bits does mean these are definitely under-shorts :-)

DezB
    Free Member

Any who got the Morvelos ridden in them yet? mine have just arrived and the (yeah right) flat lock stitching feels very rough to my hands. I don’t dare let it near my current tender regions without knowing it is ok…

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve got a couple of pairs of the Morvelo liners and they’re okay for me. For perspective, on the road or cross bike I tend to wear good quality bibs – Rapha or similar – and the Morvelo liners aren’t anywhere near as good. Then again, on the mountain bike you move around on the saddle a lot more and change position generally, so my take is that they don’t have to be as good.

Also… in hot weather, a lot of bibs use a lot of non-mesh, high-elastane fabrics above the waist – the bib bit in other words – which in turn reduces breathability / wicking on the torso.

I’d say the Morvelo ones are pretty decent for the price. I find the leg grippers stay in place. The chamois is okay in a value sort of way. They’re maybe a little long in the leg. And while the fabric’s less sweaty than full-bore Lycra stuff, I reckon they’ve missed a trick by not sticking some mesh panels in the outer leg to improve airiness when worn under baggies in hot conditions. I’ve never noticed the flatlock stitching to be honest, I’ll got and have a look at them in a minute.

Anther option I use are DHB Aeron Shorts, the waist ones, which are fine under baggies and have a better chamois than most liner shorts including the Morvelo ones, and still leave the torso with maximum breathability. But then they cost about twice as much.

Have also used Mavic liners in the past with lots of mesh, but the chamois was a bit useless ime. Just too thin and poor fit. I think the Morvelo ones are okay and great value if you can get them for £20 still. HTH…

DezB
    Free Member

Cheers BWD. They were bought for commuting, so I think they’ll go back. I don’t mind a thin chamois as long as it’s the right shape and the stitching isn’t rough (eg. Scott shorts). My £20 better spent elsewhere methinks.

BadlyWiredDog

No worries. Like I said, I find them fine on the mountain bike, but they’re not what reach for when I’m doing longer rides.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Recommended liner/undershorts please’ is closed to new replies.