Home Forums Chat Forum Recommendations for a pocket whittling knife?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Recommendations for a pocket whittling knife?
  • edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Hi,

As title.

Looking for a pocket sized knife I can use to whittle bits of wood.

Prefer a straight blade because I’ve learnt to sharpen my knives – but only straight ones :D

Also, will be doing this with my 6 year old daughter e.g. supervising her with the knife, so can that be taken into account.

Cheers for any help..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Should probably be an Opinel. Cheap, functional things.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Cheers Captain…ordered a no.8.

Stoner
    Free Member

good choice. I have a few Opinels. perfect for it. Even better as a cheese attacker.

ontor
    Free Member

svord peasant

CountZero

For a really compact little knife that’s UK legal, in fact Danish legal, their knife laws are stricter than ours, the Spiderco Pingo, which has no locking function, but the blade has a very positive detent, so isn’t easy to close up on fingers.
    It’s a modified sheepfoot profile, and a very handy pocket knife.

I’ve got a limited edition version with a K390 tool steel blade, keeps a great edge, but is a bit of a challenge to sharpen, and will rust at the merest hint of water.

km79
    Free Member

Victorinox Farmer Alox is a good little knife. The saw works well for small sticks and branches and the awl is the best I have used on a knife for putting holes into things.

I have on occassion used this knife to knock up a plug style fishing lure to pass the time bankside.

CountZero

I’ve got a SAK in a drawer upstairs, I still use it occasionally, but having had the blades close up on my fingers in use, it’s not used as a knife any more.
    While I prefer a locking blade, there are obviously legal issues, even with an Opinel, and I’ve got two of those, but for general carry I prefer a Spyderco, either a Squeak or the Pingo, both are slipjoint knives, and both are designed to make it difficult to shut the blade up on your fingers in use.
    I think the Pingo is probably my favourite EDC knife, although it does lack a really fine tip like the Opinel, handy for digging out splinters and the like, and the blunt tip is also difficult to get under zipties if one needs removing as well, plus the Opinel has a nice old-fashioned charm to it, and the carbon steel blade does take a bloody good edge!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Recommendations for a pocket whittling knife?’ is closed to new replies.