Home Forums Bike Forum Rear wheel axle stuck

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Rear wheel axle stuck
  • gooner666

Just tried to remove my rear wheel so I could make sure that there is some grease on the axle but it won’t budge.

i removed it at the weekend to give the drive train a good clean

Pretty sure I didn’t over tighten it although I didn’t use a torque wrench (note to self to get one – recommendations please) – any suggestions

Thanks

cyclistm
    Free Member

Well, if you removed it at the weekend it’s not seized in the usual way.

Is it spinning at all? Was it hard to tighten? perhaps it’s cross threaded, although in my experience this would result in not being able to tighten it.

Are you definitely turning it the right way??

timba
    Free Member

What sort of axle is it?

bikerevivesheffield

Pics and a better explanation please

gooner666

It’s a 2022 Stumpjumper which I bought new in July.

Roval DT Swiss 370, Ratchet LN, SRAM XD driver body, 12mm thru-axle, 148mm spacing, 28h

timba
    Free Member

Has it got the RWS lever-thingy?

Those can be a problem at the lever end

The other possibility is a stripped thread caused by over-tightening (10-15Nm max). Push the axle out while loosening it

gooner666

Not sure what the RWS thingy is but using a long handled hex key and some brute force I have undone it.

No grease but lots of water in there so I have cleaned, dried, greased and replaced.

I have ordered a torque wrench so will check it when that arrives tomorrow.

Interestingly the front axle is noted as being 9Nm while the rear says 25Nm. I fully expected the rear to be more but 25Nm? I will check again with my glasses on before I tighten using the torque wrench

If I have stripped the thread would it be the axle thread or the frame?

gooner666

Timba, just checked on “Google” and no it doesn’t have an RWS lever

gooner666

Looks like it is 25Nm

Tracey

If its the same as all the Specialized rear axles we have its an allen key to unbolt it. Is the head not turning. If you had it out at the weekend I cant see how it can have seized on the hub bearings.

Tracey

Looking at that picture ours all come out from the otherside. The non drive side. Post a picture of the other side

Kahurangi

I might be wrong but I think 25 Nm is the tightening torque for the UDH. The axle is fitted from the other side with a much lower torque.

gooner666

Kahurangi,

Thanks, you are absolutely correct 25Nm is for the UDH so the rear axle should only be 12 – 15Nm

bens
    Free Member

The axle on my HT used to be a nightmare to remove. I ran a tap through the dropout to clear the paint/ anodising a bit and it’s been perfect ever since.

timba
    Free Member

Sorry, misread two posts. I thought it was spinning

Sorted, so well done. Anti sieze and don’t overtighten; short Allen key with hand pressure not body weight

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.