Viewing 40 posts - 1,361 through 1,400 (of 1,715 total)
  • Realistically, EU holidaying by late summer?
  • Sui
    Free Member

If there’s a slim hope for no quarantine i’m off. Kids can go to a sandy sunny beach on the french coast and i can whizz over to the alps with the bike for a couple of nights.

DrJ

News this morning shows that the Amber+ for France may be dropped, so no quarantine from next week…

I hope you’re right, and someone looked at a map and realised you can’t get the Eurostar to La Reunion

DrJ

I cannot comprehend why anyone would even think holidaying outside the UK is a good idea right now. to say nothing of the risks of infection on planes and so on the risk of the rules changing is too much.

All the usual reasons, plus greater attention to public health eg mask wearing is about 99% on Paris Metro compared with 50% on the Tube. Eurostar is half full and the passengers are mostly double vaxed and tested negative.

Ewan
    Free Member

I cannot comprehend why anyone would even think holidaying outside the UK is a good idea right now. to say nothing of the risks of infection on planes and so on the risk of the rules changing is too much.

We’re about to go to france via eurotunnel. As far as I can make out we’ll be considerably safer over there than here…. The risk of catching it on the tunnel itself seems minimal as everyone stays in their cars.

ayjaydoubleyou

The risk of catching it on the tunnel itself seems minimal as everyone stays in their cars.

and long may that rule continue.

went last summer, it was blissful to just sit in the car in peace. All previous years you have a constant stream of people exercising their excitable small children by taking them for a group walk down the train to the toilets.

tjagain

What about the risk of you taking it there?

mrmo
    Free Member

The opportunity to walk in to a shop and buy fresh food…

As for the risk of taking it, the virus isn’t going away, and as the UK has a worse vaccination record than many European countries now, and steadily getting worse. When is the right time?

Ewan
    Free Member

What about the risk of you taking it there?

Both double jabbed so fulfil the french entry requirement. Both working from home and don’t go to pubs etc, so I think the risk is minimal. In any event, it’s not like in future it’s going to be any different (We can’t be triple jabbed), and the french are evidentially are happy to have us given they’ve set out their criteria…

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Regarding your vaccination status, wouldn’t it be simpler to encode it into the biometric data, already held on your passport?

Apologies if this has been raised previously.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Hello All, im hoping that some of you can help me make sense of what we will have to do test wise in August traveling to Majorca.

it seems that just me and the Mrs will require a test in the resort and when were home. But our 6 year old will only need one on her arrival back in the uk . Is this right?

That’s correct as I understand it as your child is 6yrs.

Adults require a negative test 3 days before return to UK and then PCR on day 2.

Children only require the day 2 PCR.

Different rules if child is 12 and over.

weeksy

All previous years you have a constant stream of people exercising their excitable small children by taking them for a group walk down the train to the toilets

Lol is that really an issue? 45 mins of maybe a dozen people walking past you and kids who are excited about a holiday?

MoreCashThanDash

The opportunity to walk in to a shop and buy fresh food…

As for the risk of taking it, the virus isn’t going away, and as the UK has a worse vaccination record than many European countries now, and steadily getting worse. When is the right time?

I can buy fresh (even artisan!) bread in at least 2 shops in our village. And I wasn’t aware any European country had a better vaccination record than the UK, the only thing we have got right.

The only reason not to travel abroad right now is that something “might” happen while you are away making it harder or more expensive to get home, and I’m not sure if travel insurance would cover you if you developed a bad case of it while out there.

So, glamping in the Cotswolds it us for us this weekend….

ayjaydoubleyou

Lol is that really an issue? 45 mins of maybe a dozen people walking past you and kids who are excited about a holiday?

It’s more than a dozen. It is pretty much constant. Plus you are sat down with the window cracked, putting you pretty much at hyper kid head level. Not ideal when trying to grab a quick nap ahead of the 10 hour drive.
    Maybe we have been unlucky in where we have been located in the train, or our time of day (6-7am).

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

We just landed in Kefalonia 3 hours ago.

Smooth through Manchester airport, flight arrived 20 mins ahead of schedule, organised and quick test by Greeks on arrival in addition to those at home.

If anyone tested at the airport is positive it’s a government funded isolation hotel.

grum
    Free Member

And I wasn’t aware any European country had a better vaccination record than the UK, the only thing we have got right.

We concentrated on getting first doses done I think but have been slower than some getting people fully vaccinated.

ayjaydoubleyou

We concentrated on getting first doses done I think but have been slower than some getting people fully vaccinated.

Theres also the issue of takeup. eg France claims by the end of July every adult who wanted it will have had their second dose. We are looking at end of august for the same.

Speed of getting through the population helped by a number of people refusing to have it. Sweeping generalisation, but I would guess that many of the romance/gallic countries are similar in their attitutes?

binners

My sister and family are just off to Ibiza today. Adults are double-vaxed and the kids tested negative this morning. She said that they breezed through Heathrow security as, in here words ‘the place is like a ghost town’. As its presently on the Amber List I suppose that means they’ll have to isolate on their return

I’ve absolutely no desire whatsoever to get on a plane any time soon, but our kid normally does a lot of travelling with work, hasn’t been anywhere for 18 months and she says she’s just sick of being in this country.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Well thankfully BA cancelled my flights for next month so full hassle free refund and deferment for me.

Can’t say I was looking forward to it given the seemingly random changes in UK policy and thy comparative difficulty I was having figuring out what happened at the other end, especially if you tested positive pre return flight.

In honesty though I’m just very very happy not to be going to the airport. Turns out I’ve developed a phobia of “crowds” and the idea of the security etc queues was making me feel rather sick.

Watty

and she says she’s just sick of being in this country.

Darlings, we’ve been flying to and from the Cote D’Azur all pandemic. Private jet from a small airport in Hampshire (you know the one 😉). Even when travel was banned we never had a problem either end, never been tested, that’s only for the plebs, it’s all been tickety-boo.
    It’s fun to be rich.

kelvin

France claims by the end of July every adult who wanted it will have had their second dose. We are looking at end of august for the same.

They are currently vaccinating far more people daily than us… approx twice as many. Don’t read too much into that “who wanted it” disclaimer… that isn’t that different across European countries, despite last year’s expectations that France would be far more reluctant than, say, us.

but I would guess that many of the romance/gallic countries are similar in their attitutes?

Well, they’re all at about 50% double jabbed… just behind us (apart from Spain which is ahead). It’ll be interesting to see where this ends up… I strongly suspect all the (rich) European countries will end up in much the same place.. with us having a head start that eventually disappears as supplies are flowing well in other countries and we “choose” not to vaccinate teens here.

ayjaydoubleyou

seems I’m wrong then.

looks like a bit of a scheduling error from ukgov then, as I get daily updates from our local vax centre, walk ins for all 3 vaccines, no queues… but it has to be 8 weeks plus. so many people having to wait (9th august for me)

Ewan
    Free Member

The only reason not to travel abroad right now is that something “might” happen while you are away making it harder or more expensive to get home, and I’m not sure if travel insurance would cover you if you developed a bad case of it while out there.

I checked this, at least on nationwide flex plus (the one you get free with the travel insurance), they cover the additional accommodation + medical expenses if you catch it over there.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

they cover the additional accommodation + medical expenses if you catch it over there.

The two or three I looked at when I read the wording were “hospital accommodation” so if you’re needing to be admitted great, if you’re stuck finding a hotel that’ll take plague ridden you, you’re on your own.

Of course my experience is a small sample size and anecdotal at best.

(and there’s also incidentals in terms of a further two weeks off work etc)

binners

latest update from our kid is that the plane from Heathrow to Ibiza at peak season in the summer holidays is about 15% full.

Obviously she’s in a minority in being daft enough to want to get on a plane and jet off for 2 weeks by the pool

The airlines must be losing an absolute fortune with that level of seat occupancy

kelvin

seems I’m wrong then

I thought exactly the same as you… it’s only when I looked at the data the other day (when hearing the news that Spain had overtaken us on double jab rates) that I realised that the French were also turning it around, fast. That Germany were doing the same was less of a surprise.

mrmo
    Free Member

I thought exactly the same as you

And this is why I have so little faith in the UK media now. No longer is informing the point, it is about maintaining the party line.

mtbbeds

The French Health Pass covers;

– Bars
    – Restaurants
    – Cafés
    – All the above including exterior seating
    – Some shopping centres and malls of more than 20,000sqm (each district has it’s own say over which will need them)
    – Hospitals, medical centres
    – Long-distance travel within France – domestic flights etc
    – Meeting or conference rooms with more than 50 people
    – ConcertS, theatre venues, Cinemas, Festivals
    – Indoor sports venues including gyms and swimming pools
    – Outdoor sports venues including stadiums and open-air pools
    – Amusement parks and zoos
    – Nightclubs, discotheques and dance venues

It is not currently planned to be used on the chairlifts. From a tourist perspective it’s irrelevant if it is or not as you’ll need the pass to do pretty much everything else anyway.

Everyone over the age of 12 will need to have one. However ages 12-17 will not need to show one until August 30th.

leonidbrezhnev
    Free Member

…and for anyone from Wales

As usual most of the media and gov.uk advice only applies to England.
    In Wales, you’ll need to log-in to the NHS COVID Pass website (not the NHS app) where you can scan the vaccination barcodes into the French Government TousAntiCovid app on your phone.
    You can then use this to enter France and for the list of venues as above.
    All seems to work pretty seamlessly.

hooli

seems I’m wrong then

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

According to this, Uk and Spain both have 55% of population fully jabbed, UK have 14% partial and Spain 10%. Italy, Germany and France and a little behind.

The scary statistic is when you look at some of the developing nations with remote populations and less than 2% even partially vaccinated.

crewlie

What are folk from Scotland going to do with regards to the French Health Pass. There’s no QR code available yet only printed documentation.

oldtennisshoes

What are folk from Scotland going to do with regards to the French Health Pass. There’s no QR code available yet only printed documentation.

Stay in Scotland

crewlie

Thanks for that, unfortunately it’s a little more of a complex situation than than that.

soobalias
    Free Member

having just flown to/from Spain as a UK resident, double NHS jabbed:

outbound – the airline did actually check that i had the NHS App/QR Codes to demonstrate my vacc status.
    arrival – Spain checked passport, SpTH (spainish version of passenger location form) and temperature

pre-return – video consultation LFD test and emailed a “-ve” certificate (£40 each)

return – spain airport was pretty thorough, triple checking (enter the building, security & departure gate): pre-departure test certificate (LFD), UK Passenger Locator Form and NHS Vacc status
    arrival at UK – i confidently predicted and bet £5 there would be no checks…. actually I didnt get through the e-gates and had to have my passport manually checked, as did a surprisingly high number of passengers on my flight. Border Control asked, but didnt check, where i came from, if i was vaccinated and then were happy to tell me that i didnt need to quarantine/isolate.

I either assume that the UK is getting all the appropriate checks done before anyone boards the plane… or they are simply hoping that everyone plays by the rules.

needed to book the Day2 PCR Test (£40 each) and the booking reference for that was entered into the passenger locator form – ive no idea how that test will be monitored, either actually doing it, or the result and any action.

Both airports were quiet, flight was less than 20% capacity

Ewan
    Free Member

As far as I can tell, I don’t need much to enter france now…. no locator form, or statement of honour (this is as two double jabbed people + baby). All I need is:

– Proof of vaccination status (NHS App + letter as backup)
    – Before return book a 2+8 day test and have the booking reference (holding off on this until after the announcement on the 5th August)
    – Have a Antigen test before leaving france
    – Complete the UK form for getting back into the UK

Anything i’ve missed?

5lab

ive no idea how that test will be monitored, either actually doing it, or the result and any action.

it isn’t. the company we used only sent us one test (not 2), so my wife took an NHS test (as it was available same-day, unlike any private providers) to ensure she was conforming and could go into work. Zero follow up

soobalias
    Free Member

^ so relying on honesty and common sense.

im sure that’ll be fine – but i might save myself £80 next time….

mtbbeds

Ewan you are correct as it stands today.

But get your certificates loaded onto the France Tous Anti Covid app, as this is what you will use when in France, until everyone starts accepting the NHS app.

https://www.gouvernement.fr/info-coronavirus/tousanticovid

binners

I either assume that the UK is getting all the appropriate checks done before anyone boards the plane… or they are simply hoping that everyone plays by the rules.

Given the governments track record, shall we go out on a limb and take a wild guess which?

Ewan
    Free Member

Ewan you are correct as it stands today.

But get your certificates loaded onto the France Tous Anti Covid app, as this is what you will use when in France, until everyone starts accepting the NHS app.

Great thanks – already done the tous app.

Ewan
    Free Member

Hmmm just seen the latest announcement. EU + US citizens who are double jabbed no longer need to isolate, that appears to include those travelling from France.

So, if you’re french and double jabbed you don’t need to isolate, but if you’re english and double jabbed you do? (assuming both are coming back from france)

Viewing 40 posts - 1,361 through 1,400 (of 1,715 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.