Viewing 40 posts - 1,321 through 1,360 (of 1,698 total)
  • Realistically, EU holidaying by late summer?
  • Premier Icon P-Jay
    Free Member

French Holiday Co we use in France have their heads in their hands this morning, they cater mostly for the UK market and until our Gov announced Vaccine Passports they’d taken few bookings, for the few days between that and then France being given ‘special’ treatment they took a huge amount, technically they’re entitled to keep them all, but obviously people want their money back now, what a position to be in? Keep the money and let your business survive, knowing most of your customers won’t use the bookings they paid for, or refund everyone and hope for a Government bail out to survive?

They’re, rightly, pretty pissy about it, we gave the rest of the World Alpha, okay we shouldn’t blame nations for announcing they’ve found a new strain, but it seems pretty clear Boris’s little flirt with India brought Delta into Europe, and now, because France has far away over-seas territories that avoided Delta, they’re being punished for allow the last strain to be dominant.

You’ve got to wonder if Boris knows Reunion is in Indian Ocean

Premier Icon mrmo
    Free Member

anyone happen to know what the going rate is for a lateral flow test in Switzerland?

Part of me is starting to just **** Johnson and go with plan A. Do what I need to get in and out of the UK and screw the rest. Nothing he does is in the interests of the UK.

Premier Icon flatpack

You can order the LF test kits in advance and take them with you, around £30 each seems to be the going rate. Do the test before you head home, register the result online and you’re good to go.

Premier Icon mrmo
    Free Member

Thanks, excuse the ignorance, how do they know you took the test? Is it simply trust that you fill out the forms correctly?

Premier Icon flatpack

Not done it yet, but as I understand they send you a test kit, you take the test and send them a photo of the result. They then issue a certificate.

The possibility that people may not be entirely honest doesn’t seem to have crossed their minds.

Premier Icon Stainypants

I’d never head of these until now, just checked them out some companies you do the test supervised over teams, some of them you just send a photo of the result and they issue you with a certificate. Definitely open to abuse.

I think I’ll get these rather than go through the hassle 5 of us doing it in a Pharmacy in France/Spain.

Premier Icon P-Jay
    Free Member

I think I’ll get these rather than go through the hassle 5 of us doing it in a Pharmacy in France/Spain.

Getting an LFT in France is super easy, even when they were free.

From what I’ve read on other Forums is a lot of people with unvaccinated kids think it’s probably better to get their kids LFTs for them, to avoid the unpleasantness of having to stay on in France / Spain for 10 days more than they planned waiting for them to get over it.

Premier Icon DrJ
    Free Member

Just discovered another Brexit Benefit – that the NHS app and the EU app are not compatible so in places (like, soon, France) which require a COVID pass to go to a bar or a Resto, or a museum, or a cinema, etc you’re potentially stuffed unless you can convince the owner/jobsworth to go against instructions and allow you to use your NHS certificate.

Premier Icon DrJ
    Free Member

Update to my little rant from last night. The French TousAntiCovid app now accepts NHS QR codes so you can get the pass you need to eat and drink. And go to the Louvre. Depending on priorities.

Premier Icon masterdabber
    Free Member

^^^^  Useful to know.   Thanks

Premier Icon colp

Also read that France is now on the list that accepts the Indian made AZ vaccine

Premier Icon P-Jay
    Free Member

Had an e-mail from one of the provides we were planning to use for our Hols in 2 weeks, it’s a slightly odd but they’ll give us a refund, postpone another 12 months (already done that once) or we can choose to go and assume the risk of isolation etc, but they want to know within 48 hours.

Contacted them this morning to ask if we could delay until a few days before, hoping things might change and they’ve said no, I don’t blame them for anything given the circumstances, but I guess there’s a decent amount of folk who’ll risk it, and another who’ll risk the money and hope it changes, but we won’t.

Looking for somewhere to stay in Snowdonia now… I feel we’re 6 months late to that party.

Premier Icon leonthepro
    Free Member

Any recommendations companies to use for LFTs? Eurotunnel are only showing the PCRs available at discount via them.
    Thanks

Premier Icon Ewan
    Free Member

From what I’ve read on other Forums is a lot of people with unvaccinated kids think it’s probably better to get their kids LFTs for them, to avoid the unpleasantness of having to stay on in France / Spain for 10 days more than they planned waiting for them to get over it.

Am I missing something here, but the kids don’t have to be tested in either direction do they? So no risk of not being allowed back in?

Premier Icon P-Jay
    Free Member

Am I missing something here, but the kids don’t have to be tested in either direction do they? So no risk of not being allowed back in?

The cut off is 10, and there’s been some reports to say that secondary school kids are one of the big groups for transmission at the moment.

I certainly don’t agree with it, and it’s not something we’d do, but some of my eldest’s friend’s not only missed a few days of school, but their parent’s plan to use that ‘trick’ to avoid the risk of being stuck abroad.

Premier Icon Ewan
    Free Member

Ah right, yes secondary kids are full of it.

How would an LFT avoid being stuck tho? If they get tested and they’ve got it, they’re stuck aren’t they?

Unless they’re taking one in advance and pretending they took it at the time or soemthing?

Premier Icon mrmo
    Free Member

Unless they’re taking one in advance and pretending they took it at the time or soemthing?

Basically,

Premier Icon mattyfez
    Free Member

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/20/border-officials-told-not-to-make-covid-checks-on-green-and-amber-list-arrivals

hmmm.

OMG

It’s Teresa Mays (as home sec) policy all over again, open the borders and then blame the immigrants to stoke nationalism and general racism. JFC

Premier Icon mrmo
    Free Member

Just noticed I don’t need to do any test to get out of the UK and into France. It is only on the way back that they are needed.

Does anyone know which media is the best place to get a feel for where the French government is likely to go, when they will reassess access? As for the UK anyone know if any cabinet ministers have booked a holiday and will amend the rules for a week or two?

Premier Icon cchris2lou

To enter France from thé uk you need a sub 24h négative test.

Premier Icon mrmo
    Free Member

To enter France from thé uk you need a sub 24h négative test.

not according to this if you are vaccinated.

https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/coronavirus-advice-for-foreign-nationals-in-france/#sommaire_1

or this

https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/travelling-with-us/latest/covid-19/#foca

hence my query,  I hear and see different things.???

Premier Icon mtbbeds

You do not need a negative test to enter France if you are fully vaccinated with an EMA approved vaccine + 7 days.

You do need a negative test to return, available in pharmacies, though the are now charged for tourists and you should book in advance (in person on arrival seems fine currently).

However things are changing literally on the fly and this text maybe out of date by the time it has been written.

The go is, if you want to travel to France the French are ready and willing to accept you, only if you are fully vaccinated, and the Government seem very keen on making this the goal post. Entry to bars, restaurants and hotels is restricted unless you have a health pass showing a negative test within 24 hours or are fully vaccinated, this is for everyone, including staff (who can have 1 jab done, and must have the second done by the end of August). These measures are in place to avoid another lockdown and give the tourist season a chance.

Extremely harsh penalties apply if you do not follow the rues as a business, €45k fine and up to 1 year in jail dependent on the severity of the infraction.

So in answer to your question, I think France will be open until at least the end of August, they are trying everything to make this happen. Will they red list Brits? Complete guess but the quarantine on return will restrict movement anyway, so as long as this is in place on the UK end, the French policy should remain in place. If it is lifted it may shift.

Premier Icon mrmo
    Free Member

Thanks mtbbeds, i am going through to Switzerland but at least i have an idea of the french part of the trip.

Premier Icon nealc
    Free Member

@mrmo my understanding is that you will have to quarantine when heading back to the uk? Transiting by car doesn’t give you any dispensation?

Premier Icon mrmo
    Free Member

@nealc, i know….. As the rules will almost certainly change again it is a risk I am contemplating taking.

Premier Icon DrJ
    Free Member

You do need a negative test to return, available in pharmacies, though the are now charged for tourists and you should book in advance (in person on arrival seems fine currently).

Do you know if the pharmacy tests provide a standardised certificate that fulfils the requirements for return to UK, or do we need to check the details of what different pharmacies provide?

Premier Icon mtbbeds

Hi, Yes they do. See examples for how to get one and the costs for Morzine (as an example for the rest of France) HERE

Premier Icon mrmo
    Free Member

I think it is worth linking this here

https://twitter.com/jonworth/status/1417458728979341323

The EU covid apps will accept NHS codes, but the infrastructure behind the app when you try and use the code might not.

Premier Icon Ewan
    Free Member

Yeah – I’ve installed the french app, which accepts the NHS barcode now, but when you try and verify it with the french verification app it says invalid. I guess take paper versions, and prepare for some gallic shrugs!

Premier Icon DrJ
    Free Member

Yeah – I’ve installed the french app, which accepts the NHS barcode now, but when you try and verify it with the french verification app it says invalid. I guess take paper versions, and prepare for some gallic shrugs!

I did this too. Only tried it out once so far at Maison Euro de Photo in Paris, and the guy at the door was very nice and checked the doses and dates on my NHS certificate. I’m not sure how widespread that approach will be!

Premier Icon mrmo
    Free Member

I am hoping to go through France in a month, assuming France and Switzerland don’t close the borders. Is the app needed for hotels or just venues? I’ll have the paper copy anyway.

Premier Icon DrJ
    Free Member

I think for now its venues but from August 1 it will include bars, restos, shopping centers, etc. Not sure about hotels – I did ask DisneylandParis if they accept NHS certificate and they said yes. Probably it depends on the proprietor. The law doesn’t say they have to require the app, just a certificate of vaccination with certain vaccines and certain dates; the rest is interpretation.

Premier Icon mtbbeds

At the moment it is as you say restaurants, bars and shopping centres.

The full decree is being published today or tomorrow, that details what happens with the above and hotels (for example a fuss is being made over hotels that have bars open to the public).

I’ll put the announcement on here if it is helpful, the Hospitality Association we work with will let us know as soon as it is available.

Premier Icon eskay

@mtbbeds – Massively off topic…..do you live between Bristol and Bath? I am sure I cycle past a house with a van with MTB Beds on the side on my ride to work each morning!

Premier Icon andybrad

Hello All, im hoping that some of you can help me make sense of what we will have to do test wise in August traveling to Majorca.

it seems that just me and the Mrs will require a test in the resort and when were home. But our 6 year old will only need one on her arrival back in the uk . Is this right?

Premier Icon Sui
    Free Member

News this morning shows that the Amber+ for France may be dropped, so no quarantine from next week…

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/quarantine-from-france-could-end-as-covid-beta-strain-fades-after-one-week-9zm2kxv6v

what do we think? I know stuff changes all the time, but with infections dropping over here (i know the results are 2 weeks old) and the delta varient being the dominant strain throughout Europe, surely we are going to apply the same rules as the rest of Europe?

Premier Icon tjagain

Surely we are going to apply the same rules as the rest of Europe?

NOpe – we have to have different rules just ‘cos suvrinty innit

I fully expect the UK to be banned from going anywhere soon because of the lack of restrictions and the exploding cases. A few countries have th eUK on their red lists – essential travel only.

I cannot comprehend why anyone would even think holidaying outside the UK is a good idea right now. to say nothing of the risks of infection on planes and so on the risk of the rules changing is too much.

Premier Icon andybrad

cannot comprehend why anyone would even think holidaying outside the UK is a good idea right now. to say nothing of the risks of infection on planes and so on the risk of the rules changing is too much.

Because were being held to ransom for many thousands of pounds for a pre booked holiday is our one and only reason.

Premier Icon Dickyboy

I cannot comprehend why anyone would even think holidaying outside the UK is a good idea right now

I’m sort of with you on that TJ but given the exorbitant prices or jam packed nature of holidaying in the UK right now it’s bloody tempting.

We’d delayed our France visit from beginning of TdeF to Sept & now looking unlikely due to return quarantine requirements 😕

Viewing 40 posts - 1,321 through 1,360 (of 1,698 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.