Home Forums Bike Forum Raceface crank spindle spacers (Aeffect Cinch issues)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Raceface crank spindle spacers (Aeffect Cinch issues)
  • rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Aeffect Cinch setup 24mm axle. Started getting side to side play after replacing the BB. It’s another Raceface one, 73mm threaded bb so one 2.5mm spacer fitted.

Red and black washer fitted to drive side, softer non drive still in situ (stuck in from the factory IIRC)

Not sure what’s going on but the chainring clashing with the chainstay was the first clue it wasn’t right. Older non-cinch had 1mm thick axle spacers, will these work to help remove play? Seems they are £4 each on ebay!

Current fix of an additional bb spacer on the drive side is just a bit too thick- probably 1.5-2mm

They are definetly tight, the cranks bottom out on the spindle end.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Had a set of these on my Sons Norco, changed bottom bracket and within a few rides cranks came loose. No matter what I did they came loose. Followed advice off here still came loose. Got sick and changed them for some SLX cranks. Better in every way, fit and forget. To be honest I’d rather fit sq taper cranks than chew on with these. Good luck.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Disagree. Second set, they’ve been great. Much easier to get the chainring size or shape I want, lighter than SLX and never came loose.

Just an annoying problem that is fixable even if I don’t quite understand why it’s happening!

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Anyone got any 24mm axle spacers or thinner metal bb spacers available? Keen to get the play out without too much stress on the bearings..

dmorts

I’d double check you have the right number of axle spacers for the axle length. See the table on the first page:

https://www.chrissports.ch/Perfion/File.aspx?id=aeb78d8b-155b-4ef3-b36c-c737e26c869b

See Table 6

I know it may have worked ok with the old BB, but it’s worth checking. I had similar https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/race-face-aeffect-crank-help-needed/

I also doubled checked with Silverfish support on the number of spacers I should use. They used the same document that I linked to above

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Thanks. Yeah I was posting in your previous thread also. Are all the spacers (black/red/white> the same thickness?

I’ll ideally get a few spacers before I take them apart again but obviously I will then see if there is an axle code marked on.

Spacers seem pricey for what they are

oikeith

Very handy thread, I had a new BB fitted recently and have some play, checked with the LBS and they claimed axle wear! Will go check the washers shortly using that link.

dmorts

Yeah I was posting in your previous thread also

Ah, so you were!

Are all the spacers (black/red/white> the same thickness?

I believe they are all 1mm

chakaping

How much play are you guys talking about?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

At least 1mm I reckon but less than 2.5mm.

chakaping

I think I just have the drive side rubber spacer in mine.

There’s about 1mm play but I can’t feel when I’m riding so I’m not fussed.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Raceface crank spindle spacers (Aeffect Cinch issues)’ is closed to new replies.