Home Forums Chat Forum Putting garage side door in

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Putting garage side door in
  • moff

Putting a side door in our garage. It’s got vertical concrete panel, so removing 3 panels and replacing stud wall and door.

Not sure how to deal with the door threshold and bottom of the stud wall, they’ll be sat on the concrete floor pad.

Should I put some sort of DPC down?

Screw through into the slab?

Gripfil/No Nails it all down?

Greybeard
    Free Member

I’d put 2 courses of brick at the bottom of the stud wall. Not sure how necessary it is but I’d put DPC under the threshold and between the brickes and the stud wall, screw through it with sealant in the holes.

What are you cladding the outside of the stud wall with, and are you putting insulation in it?

nickjb
    Free Member

Depends if the concrete pad is above, below or level with the ground. If above then some dpc and screw the timber down with concrete screws. You should be able to fold the dpc so it drains outwardly should any moisture end up on it. If the concrete level or below ground then it’s a bit more complicated to avoid damp.

Sandwich

I wouldn’t bother. It was how my two burglaries accessed the bikes and tools undisturbed. Unless your side door is in full view of the street or covered by cameras it’s a weak point.

The second break in was through a home-made door that was well beefed up too.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Putting garage side door in’ is closed to new replies.