Home Forums Chat Forum Putting a shed in a wood burner.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Putting a shed in a wood burner.
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

How concerned are people about burning treated wood? For themselves, the environment and the wood burner itself.

We’re very careful with that we burn but I see some people who use it like some sort of refuse incinerator.

footflaps

I burn treated wood in ours…

nickjb
    Free Member

I separate out the treated and untreated scraps. Untreated gets burnt, treated goes to the wood section at the dump (where I suspect it gets burnt but hopefully with better filtration). That said most wood scraps end up in the ‘might be useful on day’ pile and stay in the shed.

timber

Shed that came with the house has been our kindling for the last couple of years, just one side left now.
    Was a pretty rubbish shed, minimal amount of preservative anyway.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’m burning the contents of my house at the mo, solid wood only and I’m stopping at 25 layers of gloss painted skirting boards, but everything else that is varnished, waxed etc is fair game

mattsccm
    Free Member

Burn the bloody lot. Any fancy, poncy, new age fads about burning treated wood at this level is at best Ballcocks and at worst no where near as bad as firing up the T5 /Audi for a trip to the tip even if you water that down with a 3 hour drive to your nearest trail park.

bearnecessities

Sorry, but it’s not a new age fad (something I also share a dislike of) to think about what you’re burning in a wood burner. More importantly, what you’re scooping back out.

I’m a newcomer, but there’s pretty strong evidence that tanalised timber is a very unwise move for starters.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Never thought about it before, as I have masses of the stuff, but……

clicky

chip
    Free Member

My next door neighbour had a BBQ last week. It was an old gas BBQ they were using without gas but old fence panels for fuel, the smoke and the smell was ridicules.

There English is very poor so when I objected and suggested smokelesscharcoal was what they should be using if not gas, it fell on deaf ears.

I really don’t want to call the council as I have to live with them,

Rockape63
    Free Member

It was an old gas BBQ they were using without gas but old fence panels for fuel, the smoke and the smell was ridicules.

I’m sure it gave the road kill they were cooking a more interesting flavour!

neilnevill
    Free Member

Virtually almost nothing treated burnt here. A very small amount of tanalised, as in about 3′ of 2*4 out of 6.5m³ of wood burnt. I don’t need to burn it and I know that painted or creosoted wood will creosote the flue heavily, so it’s not being done. Not that worried about health risks/pollution but I can and do feel smug knowing I don’t contribute by bad practices.

Trimix
    Free Member

If it burns, I will burn it.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Treated wood makes kindling.

But don’t burn it regularly, the stove is our house heater not a refuse incinerator. I would like less maintenance and acidic gunk on the flue liner rather than more, and prefer to dump less toxic crud on the land nearby rather than more. Save the planet, etc.

footflaps

I use old pallets for kindling.

Any offcuts from DIY / carpentry get burnt. My brother had a whole load of decking off cuts which we’ve been burning along with ‘proper’ wood for the last month or so. We have to burn it sparingly as it goes like the clappers being so dry….

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Depends on age. Freshly treated i tend to avoid (and goes in my offcuts stash). Old treated where the treatment is pretty much shagged goes in, but i like a nice hot stove on clean stuff first.

painted stuff no.

my MiL puts formica covered chipboard in hers (despite my protestations).

footflaps

my MiL puts formica covered chipboard in hers (despite my protestations).

Everyone should know that you never put formica in a wood burner, you save it for Nov 5th and stuck it in the bonfire….

I have to confess to burning all the kitchen units when I ripped out the old one about 20 years ago. Possibly a few mattresses as well…

SiB
    Free Member

Disappointed not to see a 8 x 6 log burning stove capable of fitting a shed in.

I tend to throw old sheds, treated timber on the firepit and invite friends round to breathe in the fumes, they have never complained.

SiB
    Free Member

Disappointed not to see a 8 x 6 log burning stove capable of fitting a shed in.

I tend to throw old sheds, treated timber on the firepit and invite friends round to breathe in the fumes, they have never complained.

teasel
    Free Member

No treated stuff goes on my fire anymore. Maybe about 2 years ago but now I’ll use a pallet for kindling if I can’t get my hands on some pine trees to process. Has to be MB free, obviously, so have to check some foreign pallet stamps to be certain.

It’s not so much the smoke as the ash.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Putting a shed in a wood burner.’ is closed to new replies.