Home Forums Bike Forum Push-on grips

• This topic has 10 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by igm.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Push-on grips
  • Cougar

The One Where Cougar Ventures Into The Bike Forum, the second in an occasional series.

After a long abstinence, aside from a fleeting burst last summer, I’m trying to prep in anticipation of getting out riding again. It seems that in the intervening months my bar grips have developed the mange. I’ve ordered some lock-on replacements (go me being able to make a trivial purchase without requiring validation) but the other ‘grips’ thread just now prompted me to ask, how do I get the old push-ons off? Some were talking about hairspray, how am I supposed to get that betwixt bar and grip? That seems logical for getting them on, like a ghetto 3M spray mount solution, but removal not so much.

I don’t want to salvage them, can I safely just cut them off without damaging the bars?

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

Yes. Just use a sharp knife and don’t press too hard.

Or a long thin flat bladed screwdriver and a squirt of WD-40

Cougar

I have more respect for my screwdrivers than that. (-: Cheers, WD is an idea.

I have a case knife (box cutter), I was thinking of giving that a go. Cutting longitudinally into the grip rather than down towards the bar, maybe.

WCPGW.

DezB
    Free Member

I just used to lift the edge with a thin screwdriver enough to slide the GT85 straw under the grip. Quick squirt, and that’ll free the grip enough to work the straw round a bit more, using hand to stretch the grip upwards. Typing this has made me realise why I only have lock-ons now.

Cougar

Push-ons always felt like a bottom-feeder solution to me. It seems from the other thread that some folk prefer them but I don’t get it. I mean, I literally don’t understand in a n00b fashion, I might well be missing something.

igm

I use fat zip ties to slip between the bar and grip (‘cos I shouldn’t be allowed out with dangerous things like screwdrivers).

bigblackshed

Push-ons always felt like a bottom-feeder solution to me. It seems from the other thread that some folk prefer them but I don’t get it. I mean, I literally don’t understand in a n00b fashion, I might well be missing something.

Yes you are. Most lock-on grips have very little cushioning, only a thin layer of the soft rubber stuff over the hard plastic inner sleeve. Thick grips like Oury have a decent amount of rubber on them, the push on version is even better.

sharkattack

I take offence to being called a bottom feeder. You could say the same about people who can’t make a simple piece of rubber tube stick to a handlebar and need a ickle wickle bolt to help them out.

My hands are massive and BMX grips come in soft compounds and big diameters. No more crippling finger pain on long descents. Lock ons are dead to me.

Cougar

Most lock-on grips have very little cushioning, only a thin layer of the soft rubber stuff over the hard plastic inner sleeve. Thick grips like Oury have a decent amount of rubber on them, the push on version is even better.

Aha, right. Thank you.

I take offence to being called a bottom feeder.

I was referring to the technology, not its users.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Like wise you can get narrower grips that still have cushioning for smaller hands.

But yeah, you have to commit to them and glue them on. Hairspray them on and they will work loose if you ride in the wet.

Nothing worse than a loose grip to spoil a good descent.

igm

And ESI foam grips are so comfy

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Push-on grips’ is closed to new replies.