Home Forums Chat Forum Pull up bar at home?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Pull up bar at home?
  • winston_dog
    Free Member

Looking at putting a pull up bar somewhere at home.

Anyone got one and where did you put it?

There are some cheap ones on ebay that go above your door frame. Will it damage the door frame or will I just severely injure myself when it fails?

Ebay death trap?

wwaswas

always good for a you’ve been framed £250 those things.

Keva
    Free Member

I used to have one but mine was different to that. Mine screwed into the door frame with inch and half long screws whereas that looks like it hooks on to the edge… I wouldn’t risk that and I don’t weigh very much. Nowadays I do my chin ups by hanging from the landing which I can reach from the stairs. The only thing I can’t do is overgrip but it’s no great loss.

Kev

joao3v16
    Free Member

If you fix a pull-up bar in a doorway you’ll just end up banging your feet/knees on the floor all the time because of the low height it needs to be fixed at so that you don’t bash your brains out on the top of the door frame :D

I live in a terrace in which the bottom 2/3rd’s of the stairs are between two walls, so I’ve fixed my pull-up bar above the bottom of the staircase.

This way, it’s at a good height so that I’m not catching my feet/legs on anything, and there’s nothing above to worry about banging my head on.

Can’t remember where I got my pull-up bar from though. Might have been Argos. It fixes to the wall using screws, and has coped with my 13-14 stone weight for several years without failing … :? (there, that’s cursed it now)

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

go for one of these:

http://www.v-tapershaper.com/barsaccessories.html

I have one and it is very solid – the design puts the bar higher than some of the others as well.

Unless you are already ripped get the pull-up/assist strap thing:

http://www.v-tapershaper.com/vtschinpullupassist.html

which allows you to offset your weight so you can do the desired 10 reps or so under control rather than straining, plus your knees are folded so your feet don’t hit the floor.

I also have some of these straps:

http://www.v-tapershaper.com/flexstraps/powerflexbodyweightgym.html

which allow you to do various types of press-up and pull-ups

Unrelated I also got some of these push-up devices which are very good – make the pushup very smooth and with less strain:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Perfect-Fitness-V2-Push-Up/dp/B003YLRT0G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333117456&sr=8-1

Cougar

I’ve got one that’s simply a bar. It unscrews telescopically to fit any door, and uses long screws in the ends. Nothing fancy. It’s been there for donkey’s years and still going.

donks
    Free Member

same as above and it has never been a problem…it also doubles up as a shirt hanger/dryer.

sobriety
    Free Member

I use the same type of one that tunerguy uses, works well, but puts dents in my door frame.

antigee
    Free Member

If you fix a pull-up bar in a doorway you’ll just end up banging your feet/knees on the floor all the time

or you can do as front levers?

got a couple of the argos telescopic screw into cups screwed in door frame – daughter does her gym bar up down stuff between them
    also a finger board with big holds mounted on plywood in cellar – big steel angles from screwfix roofing section – couple of bungees and planks with that

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

puts dents in my door frame.

put metal strips on the frame to spread the pressure point out

andyl
    Free Member

used one of the telescopic things in my student house without using the screw in cups – bad idea! You have wind it out so tight to grip it pushes the door frame apart and then one day it slipped while I was hanging pretty much upside down which ended up with fortunately just a mild concussion after landing on the back of my head!

cynic-al
    Free Member

What is the point of pull ups?

schrickvr6
    Free Member

They are one of the best strength exercises you can do, along with I’d say – dips, deadlifts, squats, Turkish get-ups and bodyweight rows, then there’s more advanced stuff using TRX/gym rings and handstand pressups, muscle ups etc…

shogger
    Free Member

Pull ups – check out these guys at Barstarzz – awesome!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Pull up bar at home?’ is closed to new replies.