Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 149 total)
  • PSA – GX AXS Upgrade
  • appltn

Just had the first ride with AXS gearing (around Cannock @Kryton57 – watched some of the racers and they looked in pain).

Whilst the shifting is crisp and great, when under pressure and needing to grab either higher or lower gears, I always cocked it up and went the wrong way.

Not sure what is going on but, I instinctively push with my thumb to make it easier and pull with finger over the bars to drop down. The previous XTR 12 sp with X01 rear mech I had working like butter and tempted to go back.

Will have a go moving the AXS lever and look at the button settings to see if I can get it any more intuitive.

I had the same experience first ride on GX AXS and was wondering if I should sell it on and go back to cables.

I tried swapping the buttons around in the app so the top of paddle makes it easier and the bottom makes it harder and things are much better. Still a bit unintuitive but I’m getting used to it I think.

I definitely like the crisp shifts so I’m planning to give it a good 10 or so rides to get properly used to it before deciding whether to give up.

twonks

Thanks. Glad it’s just not me then!

I’ll stick with it a bit longer and see if I can come round. Had the same thing with a dropper post many years ago – sent the first one back after 1 ride as it wasn’t helping. Tried again a couple of years later and wouldn’t be without one now. Not quite the same of course but a similar experience.

On a different note, I’m also daft enough to have a power meter on the bike and saw in the axs app that I can see how much power I’m using in each gear and what the energy and time spread was.

All completely pointless as I’m only a fat arse old git. Interesting reading though.

Kuco

twonks I kept doing similar and reprogrammed the buttons to do what I wanted and it’s been no issue since.

teethgrinder

Get the other design paddle. The standard GX one is gash.

Kryton57

around Cannock @Kryton57 – watched some of the racers and they looked in pain

Yeah its a tough course, endless climbing. I DNF’d last year because I was so tired at the end of the year, it was certainly a factor at the front of my mind this weekend.

julians
    Free Member

I swapped the buttons over, so I press the upper button to make it easier and the lower button to make it harder.

unsponsored
    Free Member

I have been running mine like this

I swapped the buttons over, so I press the upper button to make it easier and the lower button to make it harder.

For the last couple of years.

Definitely the more intuitive way around. It’s a quick change via the app.

appltn

Get the other design paddle. The standard GX one is gash.

I was so sure I’d think this that I brought and fitted the newer version first but couldn’t get on with it at all.

I think my problem was that it was too similar to a regular shifter but not quite the same so I kept getting confused by it. The older style paddle seems easier to me because it’s more different so I’m not expecting it to behave a certain way and getting tripped up when it doesn’t.

twonks

I’ve got the X01 kit, which I believe is the newer shifter button – with mouldings for fingers to pull over the bars as well.

Actually have the XTR shifter here next to me and I think the problem stems from the fact that the top lever can be pulled or pushed and both move down the cassette. The AXS can’t be programmed like that as it will activate either button in doing so – hence the confusion.

Might try the old one because two positions – thumb press at the top or bottom can’t really get confusing once learnt.

(edit – which seems to be exactly what has been said above)

buenfoxa
    Free Member

Any update on the delivery for those who bought? Mine is in the UK and at the national hub at ParcelForce. The tracking shows it was initially assessed for custom charges and then re-assessed around an hour later!

teethgrinder

Well i ordered a GX eagle cassette for what ended up as £136 and no extra charges it seems. Delivered by parcel force this am.

shanner
    Free Member

I caved and ordered today.
    Would also be curious to know if anyone gets theirs delivered without any additional taxes to pay? It’s seems unlikely now, seemed folk dodged them quite often for a few months after brexit.
    I opted for ups delivery rather than dhl.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I opted for ups delivery rather than dhl.

UPS have never let a package of mine slip through uncharged.

frogstomp

Would also be curious to know if anyone gets theirs delivered without any additional taxes to pay?

DHL here, for my rear derailleur, which hands off to Parcel Force over this side.. assessed for import taxes and just awaiting the letter to pay.

shanner
    Free Member

UPS have never let a package of mine slip through uncharged.

Ha! My flawed logic was that dhl have always had charges to pay for me, sample size of 3 though.
    I dodged the charges with UPS once early last year.

Even with taxes added on, it’s still a good price.

shanner
    Free Member

Any one had the axs upgrade kit delivered yet?

I have a tracking event saying it’s cleared customs. Still no request for any additional payment yet.

Tracey

I was just about to hit the button on a 170mm Reverb AXS yesterday after doing some calculations and dropping a Brand X in for clearance in the Turbo Levo when one came up on Pinkbike so I bought that instead.

Once it fits and I’m happy will sell the 125mm on to try and recoup the cost.

There were quite a few new and used GX AXS on there at what seemed to be reasonable prices

shanner
    Free Member

Ha, I got an email literally minutes after my last post asking me to pay the taxes. I ordered a couple other things with the axs kit.
    Order total was 379 euros including shipping.
    Just been asked to pay £78 to ups, so probably about £65 gets added on the to axs kit alone.

cokie

Question I can’t seem to find anyone else asking.. can you ‘hack’ or set the system to run 10spd or 11spd instead of 12spd?

I’ve got some nice wheels that I can’t get XD or Microspline freehub body for and I have lots of new 11spd cassettes. I’m happy with the gear range they offer anyway.

frogstomp

Ha, I got an email literally minutes after my last post asking me to pay the taxes.

That’s a bit high-tech… still waiting for the letter from Parcel Force to tell me what I owe.

crossed

@tracey
    How much are you looking for for the Reverb?

DrP

ha….
    I managed to pick up a practically brand new 170mm Reverb AXS off FB marketplace for £400!

Fitted and rode it yesterday…ooh it’s cool!
    31.6mm so shimmed into the (large) stumpjumper frame..

Works really well..simple button press…
    Haven’t linked it inot my AXS gears get,but my bike is proper pimp now!!! Only the brake cables to cut off and i’ll have a cable free bike….

DrP

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

so whats the final outcome on this R2 bike upgrade kit? total price inc all fees? somebody surely must have had it delivered and paid for by now?

doomanic

If anyone wants the upgraded paddle shifter I have that I’d like to swap for a standard paddle.

Tracey

@crossed

The reverb is a 125mm x 30.9. The Levo is shimmed to 30.9. Its had 3 rides since new.

I should have the new one delivered to work tomorrow. Once I’m sure it fits then then the other will be up for sale. Not decided on price yet but it will be a big saving on a new one

Mackem

If I’m on holiday in France can I get this delivered to my hotel and avoid fees/taxes? Or is there some cunning check dependant on billing address?

appltn

If anyone wants the upgraded paddle shifter I have that I’d like to swap for a standard paddle.

I can’t help but I also have an upgrade paddle not being used if anyone wants it in exchange for a small charity donation.

DrP

If I’m on holiday in France can I get this delivered to my hotel and avoid fees/taxes? Or is there some cunning check dependant on billing address?

I’d just do that TBH!

I’ve friends in Guernsey that I often consider getting a shipment to, and picking up with a nice weekend away to visit them…
    20% off a high value item isn’t to be sniffed at!

DrP

teethgrinder

I have a standard paddle doing nothing. Happy to swap

crossed

@tracey
    I’d be very interested in the post, could you give me a shout when it’s available?
    Thanks.

Tracey

Will do

cleetonator

@appltn I’m interested in trying an updated paddle, I’ll pm you now.

oikeith

I also have a standard paddle not being used which I’m happy to swap

doomanic

I expect you will have to pay French VAT. Put your holiday address in at checkout and see what happens.

shanner
    Free Member

so whats the final outcome on this R2 bike upgrade kit? total price inc all fees? somebody surely must have had it delivered and paid for by now?

See my post above. If you buy just the axs kit then about £65 in taxes is added. Total price in pounds is about £330.

I ordered another axs battery and couple other bits so my totals are slightly different but it’s basically £330 in total. That’s way less then anything uk based right now.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

@shanner – sorry i missed this! great jeez that is pretty cheap! did you use dhl or ups? i assume you just get a email or call to say to pay it? how exactly does that side of it work?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ive just gone so far on paypal and its coming out at £320 before any import fees are taken in to account so its likely to be around £380 in total not £330

Tracey

That’s about the same % that I worked out for the Reverb AXS

shanner
    Free Member

That’s not what I’ve paid.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hmmm not sure @shanner – did you use paypal? unless the price has gone up of course its 357 euro plus postage?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 149 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.