Home Forums Bike Forum PSA- cheap SKF bearings at Superstar

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • PSA- cheap SKF bearings at Superstar
    rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Pall pointed this out, seems worth a share.

Code SKFCLEARANCE gives 75% off when you spend £100+

https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/bike-specific-bearings-by-skf.htm

Duane…
    Free Member

Thanks, would these be suitable for frame bearings, or just for hub/fast spinning items?

mert
    Free Member

From the specs it sounds like they are just high fill and close tolerance (C2 maybe? “Standard” is C3.), so good for low speed applications (wheels, bottom brackets, free hubs etc). They’ll be *ok* for suspension, but full complement and high fill would be better.

FWIW, nothing on a bike would be classed as high speed (or even medium speed!) in bearing terms. Except (possibly) jockey wheels.
    Even at 100kph wheels are doing a lot less than 1000 rpm.

frogstomp

Ta – stocked up.

Big discounts on Sapim spokes too.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I usually buy Enduro Max compliment but I know SKF is decent quality so I will experiment with these as frame bearings. Neither of my frames are flexy or have yoked shocks so I suspect decent quality regular bearings will work as intended.

Duane…
    Free Member

Thanks, are these likely to be better or worse than something like these for frame bearings?
    https://www.kineticbikebearings.com/frame-pivot-bearing-kit-vitus-sommet-escarpe-2021-onwards-1.html

hooli

I didn’t realise SKF bearings were so expensive? For 6902 2rs I normally buy Enduro for £5.50, SKF are £16,50 at superstar (before the discount).

For those who use them, will SKF’s last 3 times longer than Enduro’s to justify the cost?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

That’s not really relevant when the SKF are ~£4.50 though is it?

Enduro bearings aren’t that good they have just marketed well for bike customers.

teethgrinder

4x 30mm BB bearings for £29? Bargain

nedrapier

all 2RS rather than LLB.

I’m after some for a BB and some frame bearings, but not so sure: 2RS SKF with 75% discount is buttons difference than Enduro LLB.

Better bearings aren’t much use if they get contaminated quicker, are they?

mert
    Free Member

TBH, if you want to try some really durable SKF bearings, there’s a few of us round and about on the west coast of Sweden who’ve been trying the SKF MTRX bearings for a while.

I’ve got a pair of do anything wheels that the original rear bearings failed after a year, the enduros that went in afterwards (local shop had them on the shelf) lasted a year, and failed at the same time as the original fronts. The MTRX have now been going 3 winters and are still spinning smoothly at both ends. Any others bearings go bad, and i’ll be doing the same, swapping to MTRX.

One of the other guys using them has both wheels, freehub, bottom bracket and some of his suspension. Only had to replace a couple of the smaller ones on his suspension, the rest are good after 3 years of doing XC and Marathons.

stevie750

as a bearing noob what does this mean

all 2RS rather than LLB.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

The SKF MTRX offerings (solid polymer oil filled?) do sound good,, might try them next time round depending on how there’s last.

Sealing wise, I guess you might find that a good quality 2rs construction is better than a poorly executed LLB or LLU setup.

Happy enough to test these on my frames and I also ordered some front hub bearings where they should be perfect.

2rs means a rubber seal either side of the bearing.

LLU and LLB are slightly fancier sealing setups with additional ridges and grooves to improve sealing without adding too much drag.

mert
    Free Member

LLB is a non-contact seal, will keep grease in and (most) crap out.

2RS is a double contact seal, will keep grease in and (more) crap out.

nedrapier

I got my LLU and LLB mixed up, but I thought 2RS was the least good of the 3 – assuming the same quality of manufacture – flat contact seal rather than labyrinth seal.

2RS: Literally means the bearing has Two Rubber Seals. There are many types of seals. On most other bearings 2RS means that the seal is made from rubber and has one sealing lip rubbing on any flat part of the inner race. Enduro’s seals are usually either LLU (usually the MAX type bearings) or LLB (better for hubs).

LLU Seals: Two NBR 70 rubber seals with medium/high contact seal, which rides in a matching groove machined into the bearing to make a labyrinth type seal. The outer sealing lip repels dirt and water while the inner sealing lip retains the grease.

LLB Seals: Two NBR 70 rubber seals with low contact seal, which rides in a matching groove machined into the bearing for low drag or friction.

oceanskipper

2RS and LLU are the same – contacting seals that will have better resistance to dirt but arguably create some rolling resistance.

LLB is a non contacting seal that has less rolling resistance but will allow some dirt in thereby potentially negating the advantage of the non-contact for bike use

Code SKFCLEARANCE gives 75% off when you spend £100+

Seems to work on less than £100 also. Bought 4 x 6802 and the code worked.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.