Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 379 total)
  • Private School Business Rates Relief – The Scots are getting rid…
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

virtually all private school children end up emotionally stunted as a result of their education or rather lack of it.

😀

outofbreath
    Free Member

go and do some research on your own and then we can discuss.

C’mon, he who states a fact backs it up with evidence. Or just admits they don’t have the source to hand, which saves everyone else wasting time chasing them.

Junkyard
    Free Member

THM is proof of how well balanced they can be

anagallis_arvensis

I know! Reearch/independent analysis is fun isn’t it?

Havent done any just looked at figures you supplied.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

C’mon, he who states a fact backs it up with evidence.

Have you read this thread?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Don’t rely on spoon feeding – much better to learn for yourself

Edukator
    Free Member

Class war innit. If Madame were out I’d get the valves in the amp glowing with Pistols’ riffs and sing myself hoarse.

*picks up guitar, plugs headphones into amp, starts Pretty Vacant intro*

I can feel another Youtube coming on… .

airtragic
    Free Member

virtually all private school children end up emotionally stunted as a result of their education or rather lack of it. ask any education professional.

I asked one. They said a part of the male anatomy, comes in pairs.

outofbreath
    Free Member

laffer curve and o0ther far right bollox

LOL, you accept that a 0pc tax rate generates zero tax and a 100pc tax rate generates zero tax? And you accept there are one or more points in between that are non-zero? (Whatever it is you’re taxing.)

That’s your laffer curve right there, I’ve never known anyone dispute it other than the exact shape which nobody can know.

So over to you, let’s hear your reasoning.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Have you read this thread?

Yeah, but I figured if I bollock you for it the others might take the hint. …and you don’t do ad homs so I dared to point it out. 😀

anagallis_arvensis

much better to learn for yourself

The only thing I want to learn is why you dress up your opinions as facts and the refuse to either explain in sufficient detail or provide any data to back up your view on the unintended consequences of this tax change.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Then you would miss all the other unsubstantiated nonsense that gets presented as facts. Much better to have freedom of expression – then you can see who had done their homework and who hasn’t and who wants the rely on being spoon fed

Helps to out the debate into the correct context such as the demands for “informed electorates” etc….

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

OOB what TJ conveniently forgets was that one of the last political leaders to argue for the existent of the laffer curve was Sturgeon. She even gave her reason to spoon feed those who couldn’t be bothered to do their own research

grum
    Free Member

Surely all the rabid free market capitalists here should be in favour of private schools having to survive under the same rules as any other school. If they fail they deserve to because they weren’t good enough no?

Edukator
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQFUOAXlZR0[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KykrDJYKe0A[/video]

duckman

“teamhurtmore – Member

(Not) ofd that you accuse people of lying ducks and then suggest I am a Brexshiteer! Nicely done. Shows who tells the truth and who doesn’t.”

You are lying again THM, I didn’t accuse you of being in favour of Brexit( notice use of adult language, you should try it!) I did suggest you would be one of the biggest poster boys for both Indy and a strict border, I know how you don’t like been accused of lying;feel free to report. It is strange, you have previously claimed to be a what was it; three star or triple “A” rated lecturer? Yet you struggle to understand 100 words on a cycling forum.

Back on thread,it is strange to me that the likes of Jamby and the above would defend tax breaks for private education,surely they favour the free market? If a private business has to rely on handouts then surely it is inefficient.

tjagain

Duckman – he has claimed to be quite a few things in his time on STW – I suspect not one of them true

kerley
    Free Member

Surely all the rabid free market capitalists here should be in favour of private schools having to survive under the same rules as any other school.

free market capitalism is only good when the privileged are gaining from it, otherwise you have to get your mates (from private schools) in government to help it go your way.

duckman

Ah! Thanks for clearing that up for me! 😀

epicyclo

kerley – Member
    free market capitalism is only good when the privileged are gaining from it, otherwise you have to get your mates (from private schools) in government to help it go your way.

… by making the proletariat pay for it.

Still no one has explained why the better off in society should be subsidised by the state when the less well off are being driven into their graves by an Austerity Genocide.

anagallis_arvensis

Still no one has explained why the better off in society should be subsidised by the state when the less well off are being driven into their graves by an Austerity Genocide.

Because the private schools will either; a stop all their charitable work, b put up prices which will impact kids from poor families going to private schools or c collapse into a bankrupt mess and the state school system will overrun with Tarquins and collapse too.

airtragic
    Free Member

Back on thread,it is strange to me that the likes of Jamby and the above would defend tax breaks for private education,surely they favour the free market? If a private business has to rely on handouts then surely it is inefficient.

Agree with this tbh, though I suspect most don’t turn much of a profit after investment etc and therefore the take might be less than you’d think from things like Corp tax. VAT on fees might raise a bit. I don’t think they should have to pay anything a state school doesn’t.
    Edited for inept use of the quote function, also, Michael Gove agrees with me! Spectator link

kerley
    Free Member

Michael Gove agrees with me!

You need to retreat from society for a few years and take a long hard look at yourself before returning.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

tjagain – Member
    I suspect not one of them true

That would be far too great a coincidence

More untruths about the lecturing ducks. Well done

Good to see that the real reason for this silly stunt was exposed by Ruth Davidson with precision in FM’s question. Nicola Sturgeon became Nicola Flounder all of a sudden. Good job that education is not one of her top priorities as defending that record would take some spin or diversions – oh wait a minute…,.SDBMB

grum
    Free Member

In your role as super-teacher (or whatever is was) is communicating what you’re trying to say effectively not important? I feel you still have a lot to learn.

Why not just directly say what you mean rather than smugly and cryptically alluding to some superior insight all the time? Is it because then you’d have to actually provide some substance/evidence for what you’re saying?

anagallis_arvensis

Is it because then you’d have to actually provide some substance/evidence for what you’re saying?

Its our job to find his evidence, come on keep up Grum. Thats why he is such an inspirational teacher/lecturer/economist/business leader/international man of mystery whilst us mere mortals just look on with wonder and awe.

airtragic
    Free Member

I’m sure we wouldn’t agree on everything. I’m a bit Aberdonian too, mind!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Alternatively AA you could bother to do some primary research. Isn’t that what you tell YOUR students. Much better then spoon feeding – bit like reading around the syllabus

Grum – said at the start. This is nothing more than a stunt that will not deliver on Swinneys promise, makes no sense economically and will harm those it is “pretending”to help.

But that’s all a bit flattering as it was clearly just a diversionary stunt

For those who want to do the research the answers are all there. Others can keep saying things that are untrue in order to profess their undying allegiance to their political masters. Who needs “independent” thought?!?

anagallis_arvensis

Alternatively AA you could bother to do some primary research

I’m not the one trying to convince others I’m right.

This proposal is likely to cost more than it saves and hurt less well off folks who want to send their kids to a private school. The well off will be much less affected.

Can you flesh this out with some detail or will you just keep wriggling?

grum
    Free Member

Sorry a_a yes, how silly of me.

Meanwhile in the normal world of reason it’s up to the person making a claim to provide some kind evidence to support that claim.

And we’re not your **** students (thank god).

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No indeed. They are capable of doing some work and don’t need spoon feeding

The onus is on Swinney to prove how this silly stunt will achieve what he claimed and for Flounder to respond to Davidson’s questions. They failed on both counts which is all that’s important – at least if you really have Scotland’s interests at heart.

(BTW hope you are feeling better and merry Christmas. Up near you in a few days and would suggest a pint in the Rule or nearby. But doubt it would be welcomed !! But glad that you are back – need more photos)

anagallis_arvensis

The onus is on Swinney to prove how this silly stunt will achieve what he claimed

Is he or she on stw?

kilo

But the proposed changes to business rates were devised by Ken Barclay, former head of Scottish operations for RBS. Are you saying a banker and possibly, maybe an economist is talking cobblers. More economist’s thoughts; The Chartered Institute of Taxation (CIOT) in Scotland’s Moira Kelly said: “Ken Barclay and his team have today fired the starting gun on the process of reforming Scotland’s business rates system and presented the Scottish Government with an opportunity to lead from the front in enacting lasting, meaningful reform.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Smells of communism and jealousy in here.

You might get equal opportunity but none of us are created equal.

Liberal capitalist

anagallis_arvensis

Smells of communism

😆
    😆

A bit of a debate about a tax rise for a very small sector of the Scottish economy and suddenly people are communists…grow up!

grum
    Free Member

Ha, cheers THM. Much better than I was thanks. I’d have a pint with you, it would be much easier to shut down your waffle in person.

anagallis_arvensis

Ha, cheers THM. Much better than I was thanks. I’d have a pint with you, it would be much easier to shut down your waffle in person.

Could you imagine…what do you want to drink thm?
    A pint
    a pint of what
    you mean you dont know had you done your research you would know I shouldnt have to answer your questions
    bitter, larger cider?
    I know the answer dont you?
    Heres a lemonade.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Smells of communism and jealousy in here.

You might get equal opportunity but none of us are created equal.We know but if we all pay enough taxes, and we all work hard, then we can educate you up to our level 😉

dragon
    Free Member

But the proposed changes to business rates were devised by Ken Barclay, former head of Scottish operations for RBS.

His review and conclusions were much wider ranging than just private schools. For instance he also wanted to include arms-length council bodies (ALEOs) to have their business rate relief removed which would raise a potential £45m. At present, the Scottish Government picks up the relief bill for ALEOs, which run many leisure trusts and sports centres.

So the SNP have cherry picked from the report, to suit their political agenda.

dannyh
    Free Member

Hard to say what THM does in the real world . On the EU thread he is an international recruiter, has interviewed MPs for jobs, and his business is planning for Brexits as business does [ no details given obvs], he has had to deal with immigration [ dont push him on this he will have a wobble as he did at Zokes] yet on an education one he trots out “his students” with no details ever given. It seems his internet life is very very busy indeed and somewhat diverse.
    Perhaps he is a fiction writer?

Ooooh yes.

More on this, please.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 379 total)

The topic ‘Private School Business Rates Relief – The Scots are getting rid…’ is closed to new replies.