Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 379 total)
  • Private School Business Rates Relief – The Scots are getting rid…
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes. It’s very easy AA there are officially statistics available for all. As I n sure you tell your students – go and do some research on your own and then we can discuss. Teach a man to fish…..

anagallis_arvensis

and she manages that without any other income? It must be almost half her take home spent on fees.

edlong
    Free Member

Mr sister in law earns less than £40k and sends her daughter to private school.

For context:

Mean Average UK salary: £27K
    Median: £22K

edlong
    Free Member

Mr sister in law earns less than £40k and sends her daughter to private school.

For context:

Mean Average UK salary: £27K
    Median: £22K

anagallis_arvensis

Yes. It’s very easy AA there are officially statistics available for all. As I n sure you tell your students – go and do some research on your own and then we can discuss. Teach a man to fish…..

So you made it up then?

kilo

Yes there are figures showing independent schools support pupils financially, but ultimately there’s loads of things people would like but can’t afford so why should the state subsidise a “like to have” rather than a “need to have ”

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No. Just don’t spoon feed students. Very bad way to educate as you must surely know. Much better if people do their own work first. Equips them for life. They could even read around the subject a little.

You can even compare the figures for Scotland v rUK – the former is slightly less generous but only slightly.

It’s very easy

Junkyard
    Free Member

go and do some research on your own and then we can discuss.

What I always say to anyone who asks me to prove what i just said – its the sensible and grown up approach rather than being pedagogically vapid

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

For context:

And your point is? Sorry are you suggesting that people who earn more than the National avg should pay for kids of parents on or below the national avg to go to private school ?

Or are we talking about all joining arms as Comrades where everyone gets equal pay and equal rights to everything- Utopia itself.

so why should the state subsidise a “like to have” rather than a “need to have “

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that it’s not flawed, however to change the status quo IMO would cost more, and the whole thing is just an easy vote winner.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Very bad way to educate

Have you got a source for that ?

Anyone with educational experience will know no one single approach is the best as it depends on factors ranging from the subject, the level, the person etc…dont ask me to prove it – though it will be incredibly simple to do so, just do your own research.

anagallis_arvensis

No. Just don’t spoon feed students.

Dont want to burst your bubble but I’m just a bloke on the internet not your student.

When you going to get back to me with the size of this range of incomes or the working out that shows that the policy is bad rather than just your theory designed to fit your narrow narrative?

anagallis_arvensis

Anyone with educational experience will know no one single approach is the best as it depends on factors ranging from the subject, the level, the person etc…dont ask me to prove it

Havent asked anyone to prove anything just asked them to back up their ideas with some data.

anagallis_arvensis

And your point is?

I would imagine his point is that you can earn under 40k and still be earning a good deal more than most.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

After you have bothered to do some easy research. Should take less than 15 minutes. My students do this as a matter of course.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I am well aware of that see the post above

Obvs THM is just doing what THM does which is to use any subject to pretend he is an expert whilst patronising anyone daft enough to debate with him

anagallis_arvensis

After you have bothered to do some easy research. Should take less than 15 minutes. My students do this as a matter of course.

What is it you do for a living again?

Obviously your students are benefiting from a much better education than I got as I have better things to do with my time.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Clearly – but imo few better things in life than educating yourself. A teacher once told me that. He was very good at his job.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

AA – I still don’t get where you are going with that.

Private education is based on your ability to pay if you can afford it you have the option. What is so ethically wrong with that in your mind ?

I can’t afford a luxury yacht because I don’t earn enough, I either have to be content with that or go and do something about it. Who knows one day I may earn £800k a year as a university CEO. At that point I obviously won’t be welcome here as there is a distinct bitterness to anyone who is financially successful.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Hard to say what THM does in the real world . On the EU thread he is an international recruiter, has interviewed MPs for jobs, and his business is planning for Brexits as business does [ no details given obvs], he has had to deal with immigration [ dont push him on this he will have a wobble as he did at Zokes] yet on an education one he trots out “his students” with no details ever given. It seems his internet life is very very busy indeed and somewhat diverse.
    Perhaps he is a fiction writer?

kilo

Do you expect the luxury yacht sales yard to get a swerve on their rates bill to make a yacht more affordable?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

FFS kilo did you not read what I wrote above !?

kilo

Probably not I’m fighting a pizza before going to the pub 😉

ceepers

Didn’t realise it was a function of the state to subsidise people who want to send their kids to private school

The problem @kilo with that sort of argument is that all those higher rate tax payers could use the same logic to argue that they shouldn’t be paying tax to fund a benefits system that they will never use.

anagallis_arvensis

Private education is based on your ability to pay if you can afford it you have the option. What is so ethically wrong with that in your mind ?

Not much at all tbh. I would like to see all have access to a great education but hey ho most dont agree with me.

I am just curious as to why people seem so certain that taxing private schools a little will see the state education system crumble under the burden of all these new pupils and the poor will suffer more as they will be the ones having to leave when fees rise.
    I’m not really sure how poor these “poor” are or how much impact the tax would have. Lots of people have firm opinions on these outcomes but dont seem to have much to back it up with so I conclude they are just saying whatever they like to fit their narrative and views.

edlong
    Free Member

For context:

And your point is? Sorry are you suggesting that people who earn more than the National avg should pay for kids of parents on or below the national avg to go to private school ?

Or are we talking about all joining arms as Comrades where everyone gets equal pay and equal rights to everything- Utopia itself.[/quote]

Err, no. Not sure how you managed to read all (or, indeed, any) of that into what I wrote – you ascribe deeper meaning and subtlety to my posting than is warranted by a laaaaaaaaarge margin.

If you’d quoted the whole post it would be blindingly obvious what my point was, since I quoted within it the comment to which it was posted in response. The “for context” bit was intended to explain concisely how the succeeding information related to the anteceding. By the latter being context for the former.

Happy to clear that one up.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

…alternatively they do some basic research.

The educational report card hasn’t been published recently has it? That would be too much of a coincidence

anagallis_arvensis

The problem @kilo with that sort of argument is that all those higher rate tax payers could use the same logic to argue that they shouldn’t be paying tax to fund a benefits system that they will never use.

Isnt that why they try to reduce the welfare state?
    It does kind of miss the point of the welfare state and gives more fuel to the view that banning private education would be a positive. Then the rich will suddenly want to pay!

Junkyard
    Free Member

alternatively they do some basic research.

or just claim they have and not present it

Ok done it it says you are wrong

No need to ask me to prove it

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Is it Sunday?

kilo

ceepers – Member

True but the argument would be that society has, at present, undertaken to provide a series of services, education, Nhs, policing out of general taxation if you want a different provider be that BUPA, Eton or group 4 patrols pay for it yourself with no state subsidies. Off to pub now, enjoy.

anagallis_arvensis

alternatively they do some basic research

Like I said, cant be bothered. Post a link and I’ll have a quick look.

This 30% who get help with fees, what proportion of the total fees paid is it?

anagallis_arvensis

Is it Sunday?

**** hope not, havent bought a Turkey yet!!

julianwilson
    Free Member

“This is crazy. Some bad things will happen from this poor decision.”

“I don’t agree. Provide evidence for the bad things.”

“No. You find my evidence for the bad things and then tell me if/why you think I am wrong.”

“It’s your assertion -if you believe it then show me why”

“No, if you were as serious about this as me you would work it out and tell me why I am wrong.”

Higher education lecturers would generously call this a ‘FO-FO’. I think the level of debate is taking another beating on here if the last statement is how we can choose to maintain our position.

Btw if poster B bites, then the next move is that whatever he posts, poster A graciously thanks poster B for proving him right.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Like I said, cant be bothered

Odd given your “interest” in the topic

Some clues to inspire some desire for research

@18k students in private Scottish secondary education
    @£50m in financial assistance offerred to @30% of students
    So a few steps/assumptions required to fill in….

anagallis_arvensis

50million between 30% 18k pupils. Thats what around 10k each?
    How much are most fees a year?

Starting to get somewhere.

anagallis_arvensis

And whats this tax projected to cost the schools?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I know! Reearch/independent analysis is fun isn’t it?

Try.a sample of 10-15 schools. Not all Fettes

tjagain

Well, I can guess how this one has gone 🙂 THM sneering at those uppity scots again. Spurious mentions of the laffer curve and o0ther far right bollox etc. Probably some “politics of envy” as well

One thing for sure – private schools do NOT give you a better education except perhaps in a very limited academic way. Education is far more than exam results and virtually all private school children end up emotionally stunted as a result of their education or rather lack of it. ask any education professional. What you are buying is not having to mix with the riff raff and contacts for furthering your career.

Finally – love ’em or loathe them – the SNP are the only party in the UK with high levels of approval and big and rising membership. they get a share of the vote other parties can only dream of. Must be doing something right.

tjagain

Oh – and we can see the privately edu7cated folk on here by their lack of emotional intelligence and empathy

anagallis_arvensis

Try.a sample of 10-15 schools. Not all Fettes

Does this document in your sweaty palms not give us a total would seem odd to give the 50million without saying what the total is.
    Whats a Fette?

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 379 total)

The topic ‘Private School Business Rates Relief – The Scots are getting rid…’ is closed to new replies.