Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 379 total)
  • Private School Business Rates Relief – The Scots are getting rid…
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

What were you expecting them to do other than serve the political agenda ?

epicyclo

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    …A bit of a debate about a tax rise for a very small sector of the Scottish economy and suddenly people are communists…grow up!

Now we know what a communist is.

A pleb who refuses to support subsidies for the rich.

No wonder the self-entitled bourgeois are so upset…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Good to hear grum! Look forward to some winter photos

Dragon the odd thing about the cherry picking here is the fact that is damages educational inequality rather than improves it. Still I bet WoS has lots of faux positives on the story.

ctk
    Free Member

So now all schools have to pay business rates? That seems fair. The other option would be to stop charging any schools business rates- makes more sense to me.

oh actually what about charging JUST private schools business rates?!

aracer
    Free Member

Sorry, can’t be bothered to check all 10 pages and not sure if it’s been done – how about looking at it from the opposite perspective. Assuming all schools already pay business rates, would any of the usual suspects like to argue for the removal of business rates from private schools? Presumably doing so would help to ease the burden on state schools as middle class parents flock to send their kids private…

anagallis_arvensis

oh actually what about charging JUST private schools business rates?!

COMMUNIST!!

damages educational inequality rather than improves it

How?

Junkyard
    Free Member

More on this, please

You dont need me for this he will keep you up-to-date on what he is doing currently though it will very much depend on the thread title/subject what he claims.

Northwind

anagallis_arvensis – Member

Because the private schools will either; a stop all their charitable work,

I explained up the page why they can’t do that. I wasn’t sure if your post was sarcastic or not but anyone who claims it’ll happen either doesn’t know what they’re talking about or does and is lying.

anagallis_arvensis

Oh I was just writing what others have said. I havent done my research so have no idea if its likely to be true or not. I reckon its bollocks though

jamj1974

We could settle the business rates issue and not end up trying to squeeze lots of ex-private and public school children into existing state schools. What if the state took those private and public schools over and then made them open to all regardless of income or who their dad/mum is. We could call this bold move ‘nationalisation’. I think it could catch on…

No sympathy for businesses pretending to be charitable to escape taxation – not one iota. Especially in this time of rationalising government spending, subsidy of education outside a funded state system is just wasted money?

epicyclo

BTW the amount of money this adjustment brings in will just about equal the cost of the Baby Box scheme, so that’s a nice balance.

poah
    Free Member

Good – why private schools can be considered a charity is beyond me.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

£49m

codybrennan
    Free Member
    Northwind

codybrennan – Member

More evidence that Scotland gets it right….

We’re not- if we were getting it right, poverty would be falling. All we’re doing, is not getting it wrong, while the rest of the UK does. It’s not that impressive

scotroutes

Yep. England deserves better. Much better.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus
    Smells of communism and jealousy in here.
    You might get equal opportunity but none of us are created equal.

We know but if we all pay enough taxes, and we all work hard, then we can educate you up to our level

I wouldn’t want to go down the ladder.

How about privatising education and put people into trade who don’t want to be in school?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Just looked at this, not bothered with 8 pages or so of probable vitriol but I will say this:

Private need not mean posh.

My old school (Matt will probably be aware enough of it) was about £250odd per term and catered to armed forces personnel. This relief cut means that either parents or the MOD (as they are the ones who fund it) now need to find £342 a year extra per pupil, assuming 270 pupils split amongst the £92,496 increase in rates.

You may scoff but that’s a ranking serviceman having to find money on top of that used to get them there and back in the first place from wherever in the world they may be posted. Or the MOD spending more money.

Special needs schools and such will probably be hit by this as well.

Good going. Who’d have thunk a blunt approach would have its own pitfalls?

I wonder how many years of business rates the numerous road extensions and such would have paid for? As usual the SG is all show and no go, look at the shitehole they built in Glasgow and called a hospital, brand new and falling to bits. M74 on time and under budget, subsiding a week later.

Anything to look good and win a vote.

scotroutes

Or probably not as there’s to be an exemption for them.

For a more balanced outlook, here’s something for your other shoulder.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    codybrennan – Member
    More evidence that Scotland gets it right….

We’re not- if we were getting it right, poverty would be falling. All we’re doing, is not getting it wrong, while the rest of the UK does. It’s not that impressive

Hmm- actually, NW, you’re right about this. Nicely put.

scotroutes – Member
    Yep. England deserves better. Much better.

They do. The disappointing thing in all of this for me is how we’ve collectively given up on making sure all kids get a decent education. I would venture to suggest that the situation in Scotland is better than it is UK wide.

airtragic
    Free Member

I would venture to suggest that the situation in Scotland is better than it is UK wide.

You might be disappointed.
    Economist

Chokkablog

anagallis_arvensis

This relief cut means that either parents or the MOD (as they are the ones who fund it) now need to find £342 a year extra per pupil, assuming 270 pupils split amongst the £92,496 increase in rates.

Wow big bucks!
    This does rather assume that all the extra tax is paid for by taking from from the bursary budget.

epicyclo

squirrelking – Member
    Just looked at this, not bothered with 8 pages or so of probable vitriol but I will say thi….

Good points.

If only Scotland had full control of its economy and taxes, we might be able to do something about that, eg pay the lads more to compensate, not have to do funny budgetting exercises to get round the roadblocks deliberately placed in the way, etc.

Roll on independence.

airtragic
    Free Member

Of course, you’d have rather less to go round

squirrelking
    Free Member

Scotroutes, do you have an actual point you would like to rebutt or did you just feel a funny picture would do? How exactly do I have a chip on my shoulder unless that extends to having a personal interest in something that is at odds with your own opinion?

Epicyclo, it would certanly make them more accountable when there isnt a bogeyman to blame for everything. If they dont have the funds to do things properly perhaps we should be asking why bother in the first place, especially where the likes of hospitals are concerned!

Dont get me wrong, I have no problem with businesses paying their way but using such a scattergun approach just screams of something drawn on the back of a fag packet at a policy meeting which is designed to sound good but not do much else.

Anagallis – yeah I suppose that does sound like pocket change from the comfort of stw middle class smugness. Depends on how much it eats into their budget though doesnt it? All things being relative.

Northwind

squirrelking – Member

Scotroutes, do you have an actual point you would like to rebutt

He did, and funnily enough he did.

anagallis_arvensis

Anagallis – yeah I suppose that does sound like pocket change from the comfort of stw middle class smugness. Depends on how much it eats into their budget though doesnt it? All things being relative.

I reckon my school has had to make more savings than that in the last two years.

anagallis_arvensis

Home

My school is 320k down by 2020

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I’m disgusted by these cuts.

I know one school where the parents demanded an explanation why their kids had a P.E. teacher instead of a science teacher.

anagallis_arvensis

I know one school where the parents demanded an explanation why their kids had a P.E. teacher instead of a science teacher.

Standard

squirrelking
    Free Member

My point was only that outliers exist and this policy punishes them. God forbid you disagree with the stw hive mind lest you have a chip on your shoulder. Try thinking for yourselves for a change.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thinking for yourself. – you have to be bothered for that!!

As for independent research… 😉

2.4%

aracer
    Free Member

I thought for myself, and my currently unaddressed point is just above yours. If these “outliers” you’re referring to already paid business rates like state schools, along with all other private schools, what would you suggest the correct course of action to be?

I’m assuming it’s a rather awkward point for those in favour of private schools retaining their special rates status, given it doesn’t seem to have been addressed.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Simple, state schools shouldn’t pay. Just seems like pointless bureaucracy and a massive waste of money to budget for money that you then pay back to yourself.

Pretty sure it’s easy enough to define not for profit and set rates accordingly. Regardless of the institution I don’t believe primary or secondary education should be taxed as a business.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’m more 420 myself but whatever floats your boat.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

https://www.onthisday.com/date/714

Dec 16 Pepin/Pippin II, of Herstal/Héristal, Mayor of the Palace of Austrasia and Duke and Prince of the Franks, dies

It’s like a cryptic crossword in here some days, has THM had a firmware update? maybe power off power on needed

anagallis_arvensis

Can anyone explain what the point is of Private Schools if they are not businesses. All they would seem to do is promote equality.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Can anyone explain what the point is of Private Schools if they are not businesses.

It’s a tax dodge to avoid the hefty tax on soap that would cripple most posh folks who would need to wash their hands if they met the great unwashed on a regular basis.

As said way up there those who would cut any subsidy going insist this needs one….

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Just giving AA a few clues for his homework.

Think of it like a Xmas quiz.

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 379 total)

The topic ‘Private School Business Rates Relief – The Scots are getting rid…’ is closed to new replies.