Home Forums Chat Forum Port forwarding/mapping on a Sky Q hub

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Port forwarding/mapping on a Sky Q hub
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’m trying to set up a device for external access.

I need to map external port 8090 to internal port 80.  I can’t work out how to do this with the Sky hub – it *looks* like it doesn’t support ‘port mapping’ which seems somewhat broken.

Are there any workarounds or do i need a new modem/router?

FuzzyWuzzy

One post I just read suggests it doesn’t support port mapping (just forwarding), do you really need to change the port? Do you have something else listening externally on port 80? If not can’t you just forward port 80 external-internal? If you do can you just change internal service listening on 80 to listen on 8090 and forward that through?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Looks like I need a new router –

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>The external port can be anything greater than 7000, but smaller than 65534.</span>

• Internal port is locked to 80 so your rule must accommodate for that”

Cougar

I don’t know if it’s the same with Sky Q, but on the regular Sky service you’re not allowed to replace the router.  They don’t release the DSL credentials, the username and password is hard-coded into the router.

There’s ways around this, or at least used to be.  There used to be a website where you could enter the serial number of the router and it’ll spit out the credentials, but whether that still exists / works with modern kit I don’t know.  I could Google but, well, so can you. (-:

If you can get the username and password, there’s nothing to physically stop you from replacing it.  Just keep the old one to hand in case you ever have to call Support.  If you can’t get the creds, you’re humped I’m afraid.

Cougar

Oh –

I suppose you could do it with two routers.  Set up the Sky one to do 8090 > 8090 pointing at a cheap second router, then set up that router to do the PAT.

Defender
    Free Member

I’m no IT or networking guru, but we had a problem a few years ago, when trying to set up a CCTV network, turned out it was due to shared IP address from BT.

As soon as that was changed to permanent everything worked!

J273
    Free Member

The sky Q hubs are terrible. I’ve replaced mine with a tp link archer VR900, they are pretty much plug and play you don’t even need to extract your username and password from your hub like before.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Any idea how I can tell which TP link models will work with Sky? What do they call the feature I need?

I’ve got separate WiFi points so don’t need that funcationality (though it doesn’t seem possible to buy non wifi routers any longer)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Port forwarding/mapping on a Sky Q hub’ is closed to new replies.