Home Forums Bike Forum Pointless Ranting into the Void

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Pointless Ranting into the Void
    soobalias
    Free Member

Bike Theives. ****s.

my step son just called to say that his bike has been nicked from where it was locked at the station – they have cctv but obviously he needs to be ignored by the police for quite some time before they do a minute fraction of **** all.

he doesnt have money, its his only mode of transport and due to the nature of where he is having to live and the limitations of public transport, he’s now likely to lose any work in the short term.  I bought the bike, a Schwinn Breaker 29 as a birthday present to him (£220) – you get what you pay for, the box may have been run over by a fork truck after being half assembled by a blind chimp, literally everything that could be loose, bent, wrong, was.  it probably took 8hrs to assemble, its made of the cheapest of cheap cheese parts, but i managed to assemble a bike that a) worked and b) he was actually proud of (first time he has ever had a Brand New bike – I even avoided any test ride so that when i delivered it to him it was spotlessly clean)

just checked where i bought it from, in the last 7mths, the price has now risen to £500 – which i can neither afford, nor bring myself to pay.

so if you see a scrote, riding a dark green schwinn breaker 29…… dont even bother.  i will be in the corner, crying.

ajantom

That’s shite ☹️

Look at local bike charities – they will refurb and then sell on at low cost bikes to help out people in his situation.

fossy

Bike charity re-furb is a good idea, and better locks.

The scum will even try and assault you for one these days (I was attacked last week).

bikesandboots

My sympathies.

And a reminder that for some bikes aren’t just toys or a preferred choice of transport.

jkomo

Where are you, what size bike?

jeffl

Second bike charities.

I have an old Voodoo Bokor XL frame that is sitting gathering dust. Think I have a spare set of forks for it as well as seat post, handlebars, stem and saddle. MY have some brakes and maybe a slightly worn drivetrain.

Think it’s just missing a crank set, and wheels (boost 29). If you can cobble together the other parts you’re more than welcome to it.

I’m Chesterfield based, not sure where you’re based.

soobalias
    Free Member

thanks for listening – its ticked off one of the anger management techniques, but i am still soo angry

S. Bucks.

Stepson is 6’3″ so large/xl.  i might have a lead on a like for like via ebay, but if that falls through it’ll be back to the drawing board at the weekend, i know a friend has a reasonable/nice HT doing nothing, but experience tells me that the £500 ball park is probably the minimum i can get away with – which is why the schwinn was such a winner

I will see whats on locally regarding charity/refurb options

molgrips
    Free Member

FB marketplace is full of bikes of varying levels. You should be able to tell if they’re nicked or not when you get there or even from the photos. If you have basic bike skills you can get most bikes working well enough to get to work on.

jkomo

All my Spare bikes are small sorry.

jkomo

Evans have some good discounts- 20% off this makes it £240
    https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/gt/transeo-sport-hybrid-bike-932266#colcode=93226618

soobalias
    Free Member

thanks Molgrips, i will be trawling fb market place, enough distinguishing features …
    cheers for that link jkomo, thankfully its payday next week.

sounds like his boss has given him till monday to sort transport or he lets him go

soobalias
    Free Member

police uninterested, not surprised, but a warning for anyone else who thinks that parking in view of CCTV is an added layer of protection.

crossed

Where are you based?

matt_outandabout

Stepson is 6’3″ so large/xl.

Dammit, I’ve a Vitus single speed he could have for free but it’s only medium.

neilforrow

I’ve got an old town bike – steel frame, pannier rack etc. It’s yours if you can get it from Devon or we can work out a way to get it to you. It’s old but doesn’t need anything swapping out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.