Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • Please make it Sue Perkins… (Doctor Who content)
  • TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

I think they should choose an older Dr

Ray Winstone would give them Daleks a bit of grief

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Brian Blessed?
    Don’t mind too much, as long as he has to shave.

anonymouse
    Free Member

Brian Blessed hasn’t shaved for years!

anonymouse
    Free Member

And how are they going to get round the 12 regenerations thing?

midlifecrashes

Got to be either Dizzee Rascal or Dylan Moran.

Northwind

anonymouse – Member

And how are they going to get round the 12 regenerations thing?

They’ll either ignore it, or just write around it- “Oh I’ve regenerated in a cheap special effect that gives me extra regenerations” or somesuch. Dr Who continuity/canon isn’t that coherent that they need to worry about stuff like that really- been done before.

roger_mellie

Regenerations: Dr Who is now immortal

Cougar

I have half a memory that the regeneration limit is political rather than physical; ie, the Time Lords can theoretically regenerate as often as they like, but they have a law which forbids them from doing so. With the Time Lords all but dead (this week), it wouldn’t be a great leap for him to ignore it. Assuming that’s actually true and I’ve not made it up, anyway.

TBH though, New Who is largely a different show entirely to Classic Who, so just quietly forgetting all about it wouldn’t be particularly surprising.

LMT
    Free Member

They have already skipped over this, in the sarah jane program when matt turned up, she asked him how many times he can regenerate he replied 503. Get the feeling as long as the Tardis has its time energy he can regenerate as many times as he wants. Or they want.

I do feel the current series has ran its course, and tbh could do with ethier some better writers, or just a proper break. I know its big business for the BBC but its a bit bland and like torchwood could do with a break.

colournoise

On that note, still waiting for the ‘Victorian’ spin-off series to be announced.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I’d like to see Simon Pegg do it, but it won’t happen

LMT
    Free Member

If he hadn’t of been cast for sherlock, Benedict Cumberbatch would of made a great dr, get the feeling that won’t happen as the roles are very similar minus the sci-fi stuff.

Who knows who the next dr will be, tough gig whoever gets it. Just please no more stringing little bits of each episode together trying to link them.

On the forums they are saying its:
    http://pic.twitter.com/QrQegn71JH

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

+1

Eccleston is still my fave ‘new’ doctor – right mix of alien-weird, genuinely mental and vaguely (tragically) heroic

and similar comments from Cougar.

Eccleston gave it gravitas, edge and enough seriousness to care about characters, storylines and believe there was jeopardy/peril. Got sick of Tennant’s pantomime eyebrow arch very quickly and stopped watching it, heard good things about Matt Smith but seems more in the tennant than eccleston mould from snippets I’ve caught of it.

edit – If it was stephen Mangan I’d be tempted to come back to it.

crikey
    Free Member

Ross Noble.
    Mariella Frostrup.
    Helen Mirren.
    Alexander Armstrong.
    Peter Kay.

edlong
    Free Member

If we’d heard our parents earnestly discussing who would / should replace Tom Baker et al, we’d have thought “tossers.”

Junkyard
    Free Member

Eccleston gave it gravitas, edge and enough seriousness to care about characters, storylines and believe there was jeopardy/peril. Got sick of Tennant’s pantomime eyebrow

Yes the one thing that characterised early Doctor Who was the absence of Pantomime and the gravitas of the performers

Shall I out up some pictures of them and you can explain the gravitas of say Sylvester Mc Coy? the non pantomime of Tom Baker?

Dr Who is pantomime in space – i think they have done well to modernise it and keep core elements tbh

Ecclestone was excelletn, i thought Tennant was the best and Matt was good enough

yunki
    Free Member

I haven’t watched it since Tom Baker, maybe Peter Davison a bit..

I would certainly start watching again if Sue Perkins gets the job.. Ross Noble is a good shout too

Coyote
    Free Member

For my mind Paterson Joseph is perfect for the role. His Marquis de Carabas in Neverwhere was pretty bloody excellent. I was hoping he’d get it before Matt Smith.

crikey
    Free Member

I think for pure dramatic artistry and absolute top level RADA standard acting, it’s a toss up between Roy Chubby Brown and Jim Bowen.

It does appear to be keeping the chattering classes occupied, which is a bonus.

hora
    Free Member

Dr Who? Said the Alzheimer OAP patient

crikey
    Free Member

…and hora is back from the Day Care Centre… 😆

mogrim

His Marquis de Carabas in Neverwhere was pretty bloody excellent.

Loved the book, is it worth getting hold of the show?

Harry_the_Spider

Kevevs
    Free Member

Can’t Willem Dafoe do it? He’s pretty otherworldly and he’s doing adverts for Birds Eye FFS!

Coyote
    Free Member

The bits with Hunter and the Beast are not particularly well done and the actress portraying her was not very good but the rest, yes deffo worth a watch. Very good casting, apart from Hunter.

#edit – Ooh! Eddie Izzard. There’s an intriguing possibility.

CountZero

His Marquis de Carabas in Neverwhere was pretty bloody excellent.

Hmmmmm, very typically cheap SFX and wobbly sets, which the Beeb did so well back then, but overall, it’s worth watching. I rather liked Door, but it’s one programme that I’d really love to see redone with a good cast and a proper budget for the SFX. Stardust shows how Neil’s books can be brought to life. I’ll ask him about Neverwhere being redone when I meet him a week Friday. 😉
    As far as gravitas and the Doctor is concerned, that went out the door after William Hartnell; now he was a scary, cantankerous old bugger, and is my favourite Doctor, but after him, Troughton was a bit of a clown, Baker was mad as a bag of owls, and Pertwee was as camp as a Boy Scout Jamboree! Davidson was pretty much where I lost touch with Doctor Who, as I worked Saturday afternoons and got home too late to watch it.
    Of the new Doctors, Matt is my favourite, and is going to be difficult to replace, but I wouldn’t mind a female Doctor, there are female Time Lords, and we’ve never seen his granddaughter since Hartnell left the rôle.
    Cumberbatch would be brilliant, but it ain’t going to happen, sadly. After seeing him in Star Trek, his Doctor would be incredible, truly mesmerising.
    Eddie Izzard, now there’s an idea, I reckon he’d be pretty good.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Izzard would be good but he’s running for Mayor of London, here’s a thought – loser of the Mayoral election get the Doctor, Boris would be brilliant and a lot less dangerous as a Time Lord than a Mayor. 😀

anonymouse
    Free Member

There’s been a good radio adaptation of Neverwhere earlier this year. Should still be available online somewhere.

jamj1974

or a working class portrayal of the Doctor could be great!
    Hahahahaha. Oh, wait: You’re serious? What the hell does class have to do with it?

The last two and most of the rest have been just a little bit ‘toff’ in presentation. That’s what class has to do with it Mikey74.

project
    Free Member

Boris Johnson, for the Doctor.

Stephen Fry, thinking mans DR,

One of the moderators, those powerful faceless people,who seek anonymity,live in a space time continumn, and weild huge power over the universe that is Singletrack World,but could they be trusted with a sonic screwdriver. 🙂

I may be gone for a light year………

scotroutes

It’s weird hearing David Tennant speak in his normal voice – the one he wasn’t allowed to use in Dr Who.

Cougar

One of the moderators, those powerful faceless people,who seek anonymity,live in a space time continumn, and weild huge power over the universe that is Singletrack World,but could they be trusted with a sonic screwdriver

Sonic Banhammer.

It’s weird hearing David Tennant speak in his normal voice – the one he wasn’t allowed to use in Dr Who.

I may be misremembering now, but I’m fairly sure that was his choice rather than outside pressure.

scotroutes

Wiki says…

The Tenth Doctor speaks with an Estuary English accent, rather than the Greater Manchester accent (Christopher Eccleston’s own accent) that the Ninth Doctor used, the Received Pronunciation of most earlier Doctors, or Tennant’s natural Scottish English. David Tennant told SFX magazine in 2006 that Russell T Davies had asked him to drop his natural Scottish accent, because he felt “we’d like to not go for another obvious regional accent, because I suppose they’d done that”

Isn’t Estuary English a regional accent then? 🙄

kimbers

Chiwetel Ejiofor is the bookies fave hed be good but maybe a bit serious? still i suppose kinky boots …

izzard would be great

scotroutes

Oooh – remember him in Serenity? Too scary by far.

colournoise

Rory Kinnear and David Harewood up there with the bookies too.

drlex
    Free Member

kimbers  » Chiwetel Ejiofor is the bookies fave hed be good but maybe a bit serious?
    Oooh – remember him in Serenity? Too scary by far.

And coincidentally in “kinky boots” too…
    Some great suggestions knocking around, but suspect it’ll go to some young theatrical Turk with RADA/RSC chops.

Northwind

I really didn’t like Eccleston… He was great at the serious but tried too hard for the wacky, felt like 2 different characters. To be fair I guess the scripting/characterisation hadn’t really hit its stride either.

Russell96

With Sue Perkins how would they approach snog with River Song?

midlifecrashes

Presumably face to face with a slight twist to avoid the nose bump, or have I missed something?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Please make it Sue Perkins… (Doctor Who content)’ is closed to new replies.