Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Padded saddle for two day epic?
  • GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I’ll be riding the West Highland Way soon over two days and I’m looking for a saddle with a bit of padding. My Fizik Gobi is ok for shorter rides so I’m looking for a similar design with some extra padding so I can still sit down after the first day. Thanks.

woody2000

Better shorts, treat yourself to some nice new ones and keep the fizik. And bum cream 🙂

scotroutes

I’ve just done 100 miles in two days using a Charge Spoon and some padded shorts. If it’s comfy, it’s comfy.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

OK thanks. What shorts can you recommend? I don’t really have a problem with chaffing it’s more just having to sit on a hard saddle for hours.

matt_outandabout

It is not just about padding – saddle shape is important. And your bum is a different shape from mine. You need to try a few – borrow some mates saddles?
    Good shorts definitely – I use Endura and Nike ones, they are great.

woody2000

I like dhb shorts, but I suspect shorts are like saddles in that what’s good for one feels like a razor blade to someone else!

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Maybe I just haven’t found the right saddle yet. Are the Endura and Nike shorts quite a close fit? I hate baggy ones that catch on the back of the saddle.

scotroutes

I’m pretty much happy with any padded shorts. Endura & Gore are my regular buys but I have some Fox and Specialized baggies with padded liners that are great too. If you are worried about snagging your saddle just wear padded lycra.

On the bright side, much of day 1 will be taking up with walking so your bum will get a rest 🙂

mrmo
    Free Member

assos, castelli,etc look for decent lycra shorts with a good chamois.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member

Haha yea that track up out of Kinlochleven is a killer I don’t think I’ll be cycling that on my single speed!

scaredypants

you’re riding without any padded shorts currently but your saddle seems OK ?

buy a decent pair of bibshorts and a tub of knacker-lacquer® and you’ll be fine

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I’m using a padded under short but I don’t think they’re amazing quality. I tried a mates saddle the other day and I’ve just been informed that it was a wtb sst so I’ll give that another go it felt dead comfy. I’ll look in to getting one of the ointments too, thanks.

GaryLake
    Free Member

SDG Bel Air has always been a go to for Endurance stuff. Spoon seems good too.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I do believe that as you get fitter and more skilled, you take more of your weight on hands and feet without thinking about it. And decent padded shorts/whatever, like everyone says.

bearnecessities

I’ve recently treated myself (I don’t buy much bike-specific clobber) some Endura MT500 and use some old fox inners. Bloody fantastic, after every ride & wash they look like new and if wet, they dry out so fast I think there’s some witchcraft involved.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Had a Bell Air before and didn’t like it. I’m not a bad rider really but I’m going to be riding 95 miles of technical terrain on a hardtail and much of this time I will be seated. I’ve done multiple days before and been quite uncomfortable.

spooky_b329

I find the padded undershorts/liners that come with baggies uncomfortable and they move about too much.

I now just buy proper Lycra roadie style padded shorts (Pearl Izumi are top of my list) and wear them under baggies. Much more comfortable and stay in place.

Strong believer in saddle shape over padding as well, I used to have WTB saddles but since getting getting a Charge Spoon I’ve not looked back 🙂

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

OK I’ll certainly look at getting some good quality under shorts as I think the cheapo ones I have are ‘pants’. The Charge Spoon gets mentioned a lot too, I’ll have to try that out.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nice shorts the right saddle and butt cream. It’s amazing how quick the chaffing can sneak up on you

scotroutes

I really like Specialized saddles but the Spoon gets close and is a lot cheaper. I find the padding “packs down” relatively quickly though whereas the Spesh stuff stays comfy for years.

zangolin
    Free Member

What Scaredypants says – bib shorts are the answer. Bibs under your baggies FTW – they stay put. You will probably find that your current saddle may not need changing. As others have said it’s the shape of the saddle that makes if comfortable rather than lots of padding and it’s a personal thing as to what fits your shape.

bighendo
    Free Member

Keep your backpack as light as possible!!

Bez

I’m going to be riding 95 miles of technical terrain on a hardtail and much of this time I will be seated

Really? IME, techical-plus-hardtail means not being seated much. YMMV, natch.

Still, saddles are all about the shape of your back end, not about the distance you’re riding. If it works well then it’ll work over any distance – your bum doesn’t change shape on longer rides.

Why not throw caution to the wind and ditch the baggies? Lycra shorts do work a lot better in the saddle area – there’s less fabric getting in the way of the moving bits for no purpose other than to make you look less gimpy in the pub. Personally I don’t find bibs help in any way, but again we’re all different shapes so YMMV.

wallop

If you didn’t get on with the SDG Bel Air saddle, you might not like the Charge Spoon. Lots of people I know – myself included – have both, so they must be fairly similar.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sounds like your saddle is not great for you. Padded shorts will not sort that.

It’s utterly pointless to listen to or post “I use a xxxx saddle and it’s great, whereas my yyyy was rubbish” – it’s completely personal.

Specialized and Bontrager (and others?) offer a fitting system and different width saddles, Brooks are also meant to be very comfortable once broken in (mine is great from the get-go).

Oh and lots of the WHW is not technical.

globalti
    Free Member

Wiggle’s higher budget dhb bib shorts are very good indeed; snug fitting with a great pad, not too thick and squishy, just stiff enough not to get creased or crinkled.

corroded
    Free Member

The combo that works for me is Assos bibshorts (any, they’re all great) + Selle Italia Max Flite Gel Flow, which is a bit heavier than my Spesh Toupe but worth the trade-off. While it’s true that saddles are very personal preferences, I took a punt on the Selle just before a marathon so was relieved it worked out.

dannybgoode

Get a Brooks broke it – you’ll never need a padded saddle again…

Cheers

Danny B

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Decent pair of lycra cycling shorts – endura MT500 shorts work well for me
    Decent saddle which you can sit on without any pain, and you are good to go.

Saddles are a real personal thing, i’ve used loads and not had any pain or discomfort. I prefer skinny, hard saddles, but you need to try a few. Your gobi might be ok, if you get some decent lycra shorts.

dantsw13

For £20, get a Charge spoon and try it out. If you don’t like it, you can sell it for nearly the same.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

It’s also down to conditioning, your bum gets used to longer periods in the saddle the more you do it.

Good fitting saddle + Good padded shorts + lots of practice time in the saddle = epic ride comfort.

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Suitable saddle width, shape, and flex rather than much padding for me, plus lose the baggies, at least while you’re riding.

Selle Italia Flites are another common favourite, and I’m just about to try a SLR XC to test the theory to the nth degree.

A Gobi XM I think it is came on my new bike and while fine during the ride, I’m rather sore afterwards, plus it seems a bit short.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Padded saddle for two day epic?’ is closed to new replies.