Home Forums Chat Forum Plant based rice

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Plant based rice
  • thols2

Anyone tried this? Is it as good as the regular stuff from a rice factory?

trail_rat
    Free Member

5 calories per serving.

Wtf is it. And more so what’s the point in eating it.

Houns

Erm, am I being thick here?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Erm, am I being thick here?

That was my first thought tbh. Plant based rice as oppose to my more normal horse based rice.

thepurist

Confused. Which bit of old fashioned non self proclaiming rice isn’t a plant?

aP
    Free Member

Is it cauliflower rice? Use of which from me, is a no.

malv173
    Free Member

Just whack a bit of cauliflower in a food processor for about 3 seconds. Cauliflower rice. Not as good as normal plant based rice though.

Edit:

^ beat me to it.

misteralz
    Free Member

I tried cauliflower rice once and if I could turn back time to a time when I had never eaten it, I would be happier.

paton
    Free Member

Duck shit pate?

ernielynch

Organic Riced Cauliflower Stir Fry

Found this to be better than expected.

Also available in Costco UK

maccruiskeen

Which bit of old fashioned non self proclaiming rice isn’t a plant?

Disco Rice

Harry_the_Spider

That was my first thought tbh. Plant based rice as oppose to my more normal horse based rice.

Since becoming vegetarian I’ve stopped eating cat based rice.

bigjim

every ‘vegan-lifestyle’ box ticked on the cover except for the wprd vegan

maccruiskeen

xcept for the wprd vegan

Apart from the words ‘certified vegan’ :-)

tjagain

WTF is it made from? Pure cellulose?  5 calories per serving – its not made of food is it?

drlex
    Free Member

ISTR that it’s from a root vegetable like a spud. I’ve had shiritaki noodles, which is the same base. Fine if your diet/trend requires it.

tomhoward

WTF is it made from? Pure cellulose? 5 calories per serving – its not made of food is it?

*plant based, obvs.

tjagain

If it was made from root veg it would be far more than 5 calories per serving

andrewh
    Free Member

If it was made from root veg it would be far more than 5 calories per serving

Surely that depends on portion-suze? If that 8oz box contains 100 servings then 5cal per serving could be an overestimate!

Northwind

If I’m eating rice, I want it to be proper fatted veal rice that was raised in a cage

slowol

Well googling shows its made from a root ‘like a potato’. It may be a root but unlike a potato it doesn’t contain sufficient nutrition to actually keep you alive!
    Article below suggests that brown and wild rice are it’s main form of competition which is odd as I seem to remember that those actually count as food providing nutrition for life.
    https://pogogi.com/what-exactly-shirataki-miracle-rice

trail_rat
    Free Member

Surely that depends on portion-suze? If that 8oz box contains 100 servings then 5cal per serving could be an overestimate!

This delicious cake which I have is also only 5 calories per serving…… I mean the cakes 1500 servings.. but only 5cals.

thenorthwind

By trying to show how “right” it is, this somehow demonstrates everything that’s wrong with the world.

funkmasterp

I stopped eating old style rice rice when I found out that it gets treated badly. Locked in cages with other grains and in unsanitary conditions. Thank god somebody has invented not rice rice instead.

andrewh
    Free Member

I stopped eating old style rice rice when I found out that it gets treated badly.

If the unsavoury treatment leaves you feeling bitter, try pudding rice

kelvin

We’ve tried pea rice. It was a change. And a nice colour. It’s not going to change the world.

dyna-ti

Pea rice ?

Not sure that would work as a rice pudding.

Worlds gone mental again.

slowoldman

I stopped eating old style rice rice when I found out that it gets treated badly.

It spends its life up to its neck in floodwater.

p7eaven
    Free Member

every ‘vegan-lifestyle’ box ticked on the cover except for the wprd vegan

You’d be amazed (🙄) at how many vegans aren’t into keto and paleo and gluten-free. I’ve never met one, tbh, and I know more than a few!

Pedantry aside, it seems like useful choice for omnivore/anyvoregan paleos and also those with gluten tolerance or/and low GI/diabetes/weight-loss requirements

Worlds gone mental again.

Yes, nothing worse than more choice of food. 👍🏼

tjagain

Apart from its not food!  Gawd knows what it is but root veg based but only 5 calories – I suspect its almost pure cellulose ss root veg is largely cellulose and starch / sugar

p7eaven
    Free Member

Apart from its not food!

Fair comment! Should have said more choice of diet-support/meal-replacement

This fiber helps to fills you up by making you feel sated, and also aids in digestion. The miracle rice slows down your digestion process, which in turn, slows and regulates the absorption of glucose, thus making it beneficial for diabetics. The rice can essentially aid with diabetes control. In addition, consuming glucomannan can help with constipation, but without making you feel or bloated. There are evidence to prove that soluble fiber also helps to lower cholesterol and prevent hemorrhoids and diverticulitis.

https://pogogi.com/what-exactly-shirataki-miracle-rice

#contextspoilsfun

scotroutes

Might taste ok if served with bacon.

tjagain

so as I suspected – its really not a food.  Ta for that.

J-R

I suspect if you’re hungry you could eat the packaging to double the calories. And the flavour.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Words fail me- – -a proper niche product if ever there was one.

p7eaven
    Free Member

so as I suspected – its really not a food. Ta for that.

You’re most welcome 👍🏼

I live and learn. Also since learned that it’s far from a ‘new’ food/non-food. My ignorance was almost complete!

This plant was not originally a dish of Japan. It came to Japan in the 6th century through the Chinese who introduced it as a medicinal food. Since then, it has continued to grow in popularity. This growth in popularity was evident when in the 17th century, during the time of the Edo period, the Japanese would even import konnyaku and konnyaku noodles called Shirataki from China because they loved it so much. Another momentous event that further established the konnyaku’s growing popularity was a book published in the year of 1846 that was purely about recipes to make konnyaku dishes.

– It is known to have a very good amount of a soluble fiber called ”Glucomannan” as well which helps the body process vitamins and minerals from the food eaten by an individual

– Konnyaku is also a reliable source of vitamins and minerals like potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, iron, and zinc. Aside from providing these vitamins and minerals while also giving no fat to the consumer, the glucomannan fiber in the konnyaku does more wondrous things for the body. This fiber has been tested and was proven to slow down the sugar intake of the body when being eaten with other food. This is very important because it technically makes it a food that also prevents diabetes in a sense

http://yabai.com/p/2708

All sounds really impressively boring, which is a long way around saying that it (and nothing else) has got nothing on a pot of Bombay Bad Boy.

#westisbest

thecaptain
    Free Member

You can get noodles and other food shapes made from konjac (devil tongue) in Japan which is effectively indigestible and devoid of calories. I believe it contains energy in the chemical sense that it could burn, but is not usable by human digestion.

It’s a sort of tough white/grey rubbery jelly consistency with no taste whatsoever.

No, me neither.

edit: oh, didn’t wade through enough of the thread, sorry. Anyway, it’s one of the many foodstuffs from Japan that I don’t miss – though “foodstuff” is perhaps over-generous in this case.

poah
    Free Member

Well googling shows its made from a root ‘like a potato’.

odd given a potato isn’t a root.

BillMC

‘It spends its life up to its neck in floodwater.’

and then it gets flailed, flogged and then boiled. Such cruelty.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

odd given a potato isn’t a root.

Yeah we know, it’s a tuber.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Plant based rice’ is closed to new replies.