Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 288 total)
  • Petty annoyances
  • jon1973
    Free Member

Battery operated devices that take an odd number of batteries.

👿

scotroutes

Just get two…

jon1973
    Free Member

I’m not playing ball with their cynical marketing tactics.

The other thing is, they’re rechargeable batteries, and you can only charge them in twos.

jonjones262
    Free Member

The train announcements for East Midlands trains.

She says “The next East Midlands Trains Service is…”

but she doesn’t combine the SS noise from the end of Trains and start of Service into one mouth shape, so it sounds like she pauses in between.

It’s possibly the worst thing in the world!!

Cougar

The other thing is, they’re rechargeable batteries, and you can only charge them in twos.

That’s not a device issue, it’s a crap charger issue.

jon1973
    Free Member

It’s still a petty annoyance. Taking 3 batteries is a device issue when batteries are always sold in even amounts.

Cougar

Petty annoyances,

The BBC’s insistence (and others) on suffixing dots in domain names rather than prefixing them. Eg, “for more information see our website at doubleyou-doubleyou-doubleyou-dot, bbc-dot, co-dot, uk.” HULK SMASH!

Cougar

It’s still a petty annoyance.

Sure. I’m just being petty about it. (-:

jon1973
    Free Member

This sums it up nicely.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrUq-KR241k[/video]

bearnecessities

The blatantly fraudulent tactics employed by Mcvities to ensure when opening a packet of biscuits, you are forced to to expose (and naturally consume) around 4 to 5 biscuits when using their ‘helpful’ hobnob release mechanism.

tinribz
    Free Member

lucien

Pedantry on STW

winston_dog
    Free Member

Pedantry on STW

The BBC’s insistence (and others) on suffixing dots in domain names rather than prefixing them. Eg, “for more information see our website at doubleyou-doubleyou-doubleyou-dot, bbc-dot, co-dot, uk.”

If you are serious then you need help.

Why would you prefix the dots? Is this some nerd IT problem?

What is annoying is calling them “dots”, they are not just “dots”.

bikebouy
    Free Member

“Other” people using “my” steam room 🙄

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Councils who, while claiming to be environmentally aware, refuse entry to those who choose to walk/cycle to the tip with a small bag of rubbish but will let you in once you drive the 2 miles there and back.

badllama
    Free Member

The BBC self promoting programs on the bloody news

E.G run a story on x (x being an issue no one else as reported on that day as it’s not bloody news) and they say something like “You can see more on this issue on program y tonight at 10 pm”

**** off no bloody commercials!

ghastlyrabbitfat
    Free Member

People… Not having the common courtesy to return a nod or “hello” when sharing common ground like out on the hill or the bike.

badllama
    Free Member

People… Not having the common courtesy to return a nod or “hello” when sharing common ground like out on the hill or the bike.

LOL roadies and MTBer’s on morning commute, I always let on and they look at me as thought I’ve just told them they smell of shit 🙄

rp16v
    Free Member

Parking on the road when u have a driveway.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

l let you in once you drive the 2 miles there and back.

You need to drive there and back before they let you in? Why not just drive there then hide round the corner for 10 minutes and tell them you’ve gone home and come back?

jon1973
    Free Member

The BBC’s insistence (and others) on suffixing dots in domain names rather than prefixing them. Eg, “for more information see our website at doubleyou-doubleyou-doubleyou-dot, bbc-dot, co-dot, uk.”

Why even bother with the “doubleyou-doubleyou-doubleyou-dot” bit?

1.Everyone knows about it
    2.Most browsers stick it in there for you any way if you miss it off
    3.For something that’s only 3 letter long, it takes far too long to say.

Pook

There are some www2. and www3. addresses out there

jon1973
    Free Member

so you could have a www, www2 and www3 version of the same domain name?

gordimhor

Wonders how Cougar coped with Graham Dott’s old website doubleyoudoubleyoudoubleyoudotdottdotcom 😀
    Ps the domain is now for sale

tinribz
    Free Member

It’s not done for .coms is it.

“monkeybusiness dot, com” sounds so wrong so why would they think
    “monkeybusiness dot, co dot, uk” is OK.

jon1973
    Free Member

Annoyingly, http://www.dotdot.com is not available.

PiknMix
    Free Member

This, this, and thrice this.

MrOvershoot

rp16v – Member

Pik n Mix – Member

This, this, and thrice this.

x1000
    and even worse parking smack opposite my driveway blocking me in as your too much a shit driver to park on your drive 10 meters away!!

rp16v
    Free Member

Thank god I’m not alone on this one lol
    Overshoot I get that as well in fact I can see it while sat here now grrrr mupppets

eddiebaby
    Free Member

jon1973 – Member
    It’s still a petty annoyance. Taking 3 batteries is a device issue when batteries are always sold in even amounts.

Buy them in 12 packs

tomd
    Free Member

Whistling at work. Just stf up and get on with your work. Even if you must whistle, don’t just whistle a few bars then fade off before coming back into a different tune.

kennyp
    Free Member

The reluctance to type y and o, yet being happy to type w, a and y when not really necessary. 🙂

jon1973
    Free Member

Buy them in 12 packs

I think you’re missing the point. I wasn’t after a solution. Having to buy batteries in packs of 12 when you only need 3, for a device where the batteries last about a year, is still annoying.

Jamie
    Free Member

…pictures also available on request

…never fails to annoy me.

binners

Everything

bearnecessities

Discuss.

No, chuff off you argumentative twonk.

bigblackshed

Jamie – Member
    …pictures also available on request
    …never fails to annoy me.

Also, see “www.pinkbike.com/bbcgnhjjgtgvbhujgfd”

Grrrrrrrrrr…….

Cougar

If you are serious then you need help.

I do, I suffer from CDO.

Why would you prefix the dots? Is this some nerd IT problem?

Yes.

What is annoying is calling them “dots”, they are not just “dots”.

What are they then? RFC1034 (and many others) would disagree with you.

so you could have a www, www2 and www3 version of the same domain name?

Yep. You can have (almost) anything you like. There’s no technical reason for “www” other than most people did it and it caught on. “Web” used to be popular in the early days too. Historically, it was the machine name of the web server. There’s nothing to stop you from calling your web servers Dave and Brian, and having websites of dave.domain.com and brian.domain.com, other than people aren’t used to it.

The BBC do this with some of their websites. If you go to news.bbc.co.uk for instance, it redirects to http://www.bbc.co.uk/news.

(edit – amusingly, not only do most people expect websites to start with www, so does the parser on this website…)

Nipper99
    Free Member

Joanna Lumley. 😡

MrOvershoot

rp16v – Member

Thank god I’m not alone on this one lol
    Overshoot I get that as well in fact I can see it while sat here now grrrr mupppets

I often wonder if there is a set of magnets across the road that causes people to stop in just that point, 10 minutes after I posted the original comment a car parks there and goes into a house that has a space in front of their drive!!

Think about it your visiting someone why not park across their drive?? Your visiting them so if they are out you won’t block them in & if they are in you are visiting them so they are not going to be blocked in are they!!

Sorry but it really winds me up (can you tell)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 288 total)

The topic ‘Petty annoyances’ is closed to new replies.