• This topic has 1,152 replies, 133 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by zokes.
Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 1,153 total)
  • Overtaking.
  • anagallis_arvensis

Just been out on the motorbike and I can confirm that the vast majority of BMW drivers dont like being overtaken. One decided to try and close the nice sized gap between him and the car in front that I had planned to land in (doesnt this take us nicely back to page 1 so you can all start again?). Its also clear that the vast majority of drivers dont think I should be allowed to ride on chevrons.

freddyg
    Free Member

Its also clear that the vast majority of drivers don’t think I should be allowed to ride on chevrons.

There is nothing wrong with this move if the chevrons are bounded by a broken line. 8)

There needs to be better driver education in how to drive a car, not just how to pass the test, maybe even another driving test after 10 years or so.

molgrips
    Free Member

There is nothing wrong with this move if the chevrons are bounded by a broken line

AFAIK without checking you SHOULD not enter the chevrons even if the line is unbroken.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

There is nothing wrong with this move if the chevrons are bounded by a broken line
    AFAIK without checking you SHOULD not enter the chevrons even if the line is unbroken.

I’ve been into this very question in quite some detail some years ago, and unless its changed (which it might well have done) the wording was something along the lines of “don’t enter a chevron area with broken white lines unless necessary*” and the general train of thought was that it was necessary to enter them to overtake so that’s a good enough reason.

FWIW I spend quite a lot of my new commute along the A30 overtaking lines of cars in a chevron area. It’s fine, if a bit bouncy in places.

*Whereas with solid white lines its “except in emergencies”

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yep. I’m correct. Fill yer boots!

Areas of white diagonal stripes or chevrons painted on the road. These are to separate traffic lanes or to protect traffic turning right.

If the area is bordered by a broken white line, you should not enter the area unless it is necessary and you can see that it is safe to do so.
    If the area is marked with chevrons and bordered by solid white lines you MUST NOT enter it except in an emergency.
    Laws MT(E&W)R regs 5, 9, 10 & 16, MT(S)R regs 4, 8, 9 & 14, RTA sect 36 & TSRGD 10(1)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Woody
    Free Member

Planning an overtake will usually take a good few seconds whilst you weigh up the hazards……… AND ……..I strongly disagree however with anyone that bases that decision on the belief that they are a better driver than anyone else

That might explain why molgrips gets overtaken by those dastardly queue jumpers. A good few seconds!? You have to be kidding me? Also, where has anyone even hinted that they base an overtaking decision on a belief that they are a better driver ?

if it takes you that long to weigh up hazards that should have been registered in an instant in conjunction with your ongoing awareness of road and traffic, then you probably should just continue to queue politely!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Planning an overtake will usually take a good few seconds whilst you weigh up the hazards

Not a problem if you do it right, as most of that planning will be done before the overtaking opportunity arrives. (See my previous posts earlier in this thread). It quite easy when you know how and get some practice, but, I admit, a shed load simpler when you’ve got some proper power under your right foot hand. 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

It’s a shame, no.. a problem, that so much sexual insecurity has to be dealt with behind the steering wheel..

It’s the main reason that I won’t ride a bike on the road

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s the main reason that I won’r ride a bike on the road

Todger keeps banging on the top tube?

yunki
    Free Member

you know it!

it’s almost a physical handicap

anagallis_arvensis

According to the police high speed pursuit rider who did my advanced test you can enter chevrons when necessary and its necessary whenever you want. I tend to not use them for higher speed overtakes just for filtering slower stuff.

sbob
    Free Member

IanW – Member

Does anyone have an official reference to this “making good progress” requirement to drive at the speed limit.

New to me and would be dangerous on many NSL roads.

Is it actually just a bad interpretation of the driving test tick box for hesitancy and progress?

Make safe progress is probably a better phrase, nobody is suggesting to drive at a speed that is unsafe, but on test if it is safe to drive at the speed limit, you drive at the speed limit.

The DSA’s national standard for driving cars, which sets out what is needed to be a safe and responsible driver, states that you must be able to make progress in the traffic stream and overtake with consideration for other road users.

It’s certainly how I was taught and how I was expected to drive on test.
    Driving below the speed limit unnecessarily is also cited by many driving tuition websites as being a top ten reason for failing.

If that’s new to you then maybe it’s time for a refresher; have a look and see if there is an IAM group near you. Initial consultations are normally free, and overall costs are very low. 🙂

sbob
    Free Member

freddyg – Member

There is nothing wrong with this move if the chevrons are bounded by a broken line.

Except that chevroned areas of road are often full of debris. 💡

I always think of this video of a policeman suffering a high speed blowout after driving over chevrons, and wonder if there is a connection.

anagallis_arvensis

Those where solid boardered ones though to be fair. Although I did clock a sand bag in a chevroned part of the A4 near Thatcham today, wouldnt want to hit that!

aracer
    Free Member

I think I’ve worked it out folks. Apologies for taking this from several pages back molgrips, but I think it’s one of your clearest explanations:

Let’s say I’m 2nd in the queue. 1st place is looking to overtake but can’t yet, because he’s driving a normal car and the straights are too small.

Speedy man comes from behind in his fast car, passes me in a small space and waits behind 1st. The next gap comes, there’s space for only two cars, they both go. I’m left behind, when I should have been through. That’s the last overtaking spot for 5 miles.

Can you spot where your fallacy is? I’ve tried to help…

I suspect I also need to provide you with some alternative scenarios – apologies this is going to get a bit long, but a fair amount of detail is needed for each one:

1) You’re 2nd in a “queue”. You get to a straight where there’s space for 2 cars to go, but there’s something coming the other way. You’re stuck behind the slow vehicle when you should have been past. Is it fair that the vehicle coming the other way has forced you to wait behind?

2) You’re immediately behind a slow car. There is a short straight on which you won’t overtake as your car is too slow. Somebody behind in a faster car and with good anticipation manages to get past both of you and drives into the distance. The slow car you’re behind turns off at the next turning. You catch up with the faster car who’s just overtaken you who is now 2nd in a “queue” behind another slow vehicle. The next gap comes, there’s space for only two cars, they both go. You’re left behind, when you should have been through. Is it fair that the faster car has forced you to wait behind?

3) You’re 2nd in a “queue”. You get to a straight where there’s space for 2 cars to go, but there’s something coming the other way. The car coming the other way has just used the previous two short straights to overtake a “queue” using two separate passes – if it hadn’t it would have been several hundred metres back and wouldn’t have got in your way. You’re stuck behind the slow vehicle when you should have been past. Is it fair that the vehicle coming the other way has forced you to wait behind?

Just to save you the trouble, here’s your answer sheet, just copy and paste and delete as appropriate

Is it fair that the other vehicle has forced you to wait behind?
    1) yes no
    2) yes no
    3) yes no

anagallis_arvensis

1. No
    2. No
    3. No

ITS NOT FAIR

fourbanger
    Free Member

Molgrips, what do you think you’re doing wrong in your driving that leads people to not spot that you want to overtake? This is the crux of it. If you’ve got an issue with other people on the road, what can you do to resolve it. There will be something you can do. Have a think.

clanton
    Free Member

What a bizarre thread! Petrolheads on a bike forum?
    Chill people. Live and let live. Share the trails, the roads etc. Take some time to smell the daisies and you’ll be the happier for it.

molgrips
    Free Member

1) No because the other car has no choice but to come the other way. Speedy man DOES have a choice.

2) No issues, because the upcoming scenario was not forseen.

3) No, again it’s unforseen.

The issue I have is that speedy man comes up to a queue, and thinks ‘I MUST PASS EVERYONE ASAP’ and floors it. In doing so, he causes me more delay than otherwise. He ought to realise that a bit of courtesy helps everyone feel better.

If speedyman acted like that outside of his car, it’d be universally condemned. I can run pretty quickly, I could easily sprint past most people approaching (but not yet in) a supermarket queue. But I don’t, cos it’s damn rude. I was taught that as a kid.

Molgrips, what do you think you’re doing wrong in your driving that leads people to not spot that you want to overtake?

What makes you think that I’m doing something wrong? Why can speedyman not just be an arsehole? Are there no arseholes on the road?

thered

Wow, this is 22 pages long, why do people care this much?

molgrips
    Free Member

I care when people get the wrong idea about what I’m trying to say. I dunno why I care, it’s a character flaw.

crikey
    Free Member

Please could the forum have a ‘shaking my head at the lengths folk go to argue about the most inane subjects’ emoticon?

740 posts about overtaking? So you can be quicker to the next obstacle? So you get to your destination oooooh, at least a minute or so quicker?

The only positive thing to come out of this whole sorry display of Sad Dadness is the ability to do this; é.

Please give it a rest now.

fourbanger
    Free Member

What makes you think that I’m doing something wrong? Why can speedyman not just be an arsehole? Are there no arseholes on the road?

Of course there are aresholes, but they can be dealt with safely and legally. And by dealt with I mean defused. And by defused I mean manipulated through your actions so as to be no threat to your safety and have no impact on your progress.
    Learn to take responsibility. Learn to take control.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Clanton, we had dancing zebras too. It hasn’t been all bad.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Anything positive to add Crikey?

crikey
    Free Member

Anything positive to add Crikey?

I love and respect you, but don’t always agree with you. 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

And by defused I mean manipulated through your actions so as to be no threat to your safety and have no impact on your progress.

Now this is interesting. I would not and do not manipulate other drivers. I do not do anything about mr speedyman arsehole, even though he pisses me off. It needs to be risen above not dealt with imo.

What are you talking about exactly?

fourbanger
    Free Member

I love and respect you, but don’t always agree with you.

Good enough for me.

aracer
    Free Member

1) No because the other car has no choice but to come the other way. Speedy man DOES have a choice.

2) No issues, because the upcoming scenario was not forseen.

3) No, again it’s unforseen.

Ah – OK. But in your scenario the fast driver who overtook you didn’t foresee that it would result in you not getting past, neither was it possible to foresee that you actually were likely to make an attempt, hence according to your criteria that’s OK.

The question is, what is the moral difference between the driver in scenario 3 and the driver in your scenario? They’ve both done exactly the same thing.

The other question is what the moral difference is between the driver in scenario 2 and in your scenario, when the initial situation and the outcome is exactly the same?

fourbanger
    Free Member

Now this is interesting. I would not and do not manipulate other drivers. I do not do anything about mr speedyman arsehole, even though he pisses me off. It needs to be risen above not dealt with imo.
    What are you talking about exactly?

You manipulate and are manipulated by other drivers every time you get in a car. Other drivers actions cause you to react. Your actions cause other drivers to react. I can’t figure out where you’re going wrong if you’re allowing other drivers to manipulate your thoughts and actions in a negative way.
    In other words, take responsibility for every situation you encounter in the car.

richmtb

Thing is Mr Speedy Man is actually performing a public service. By driving fast he is spending less tim occupying road space. Thereby freeing up space for everyone else.

He deserves a Car Tax rebate

molgrips
    Free Member

But in your scenario the fast driver who overtook you didn’t foresee that it would result in you not getting past

He should assume that I am interested in passing until he sees evidence to the contrary.

Before you do something that might disadvantage someone else, you should take time to determine if it will or not. As we do in real life: “Are you in the queue? Do you mind if I go here?” etc etc.

It’s about the intention of the driver and his attitude towards me. This is again the same as in real life. If someone accidentally bumps into me, that’s ok – you didn’t mean it. If someone is running through the supermarket, and bumps me out of the way, then that’s NOT ok, despite the outcome being the same.

aracer
    Free Member

He should assume that I am interested in passing until he sees evidence to the contrary.

It appears he did – you didn’t attempt to overtake in a gap which was an overtaking spot as far as he was concerned. We’ve also discussed ad nauseum at length drivers who look like they’re interested in overtaking, but won’t ever actually attempt a pass. Maybe you should get yourself one of those digital displays to put in your rear window with “intending to overtake” programmed in to make it more obvious.

It’s about the intention of the driver and his attitude towards me. This is again the same as in real life. If someone accidentally bumps into me, that’s ok – you didn’t mean it.

I’m sure the driver in your scenario wasn’t intentionally stopping you from overtaking.

You also don’t appear to have addressed the difference between your scenario and my scenario 3, in which the driver stopping you from overtaking has done exactly the same thing.

fourbanger
    Free Member

You’ve got to take responsibility. Reading some of your other threads, you’d do well to apply it to all aspects of your life. You’re kind of late in the game not to realise, but some people never do. Pay it forward when it hits you.

Cougar

I’ve just caught up with this thread. TBH, it should have closed at PeterPoddy’s post on page 17, which is the correct answer. But anyway.

This has nothing to do with my overtaking ability,

I respectfully disagree, I believe that that’s exactly what this is to do with.

Not true at all, at least not where I drive. Maybe 80% of people in my experience will be wanting to pass a 40mph car or lorry.

The problem there is, they’ll sit there, “wanting” to overtake, until the heat death of the universe.

I very rarely put myself on the wrong side of the road behind another car. Not enough visibility.

Try dropping back a bit more from the vehicle in front. This will stop being an issue.

Yeah, often there’s five or six lorries or caravans ahead and the rest of us have realised that it’s not worth bothering as the motorway’s coming up soon anyway.

So… you’ve admitted you don’t want to overtake, and yet you’re perturbed when other people pass you? How’s that work? Moreover, if I’m behind you, how do I tell the difference?

Cougar

But anyway. 22 pages in, and no-one’s addressed the real issue on this thread, which is:

A “queue” is a line of people waiting their turn for something.

A “que” is a confused waiter from Barcelona.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No, is a hamster.

footflaps

I care when people get the wrong idea about what I’m trying to say. I dunno why I care, it’s a character flaw.

Well the first step is to admit you have a problem.

At this point you can either admit you’re TJ and get banned again, or just carry on and get banned anyway.

molgrips
    Free Member

It appears he did – you didn’t attempt to overtake in a gap which was an overtaking spot as far as he was concerned.

I’m sure he knows he has a fast car, he should be aware that other people don’t.

Your scenario 3 is just stupid. He’s got no idea what’s coming the other way and when. Pointless. My speedyman is right there behind me, he can choose to overtake or not.

You’re really trying to make up justification for this guy. If he was really considerate to other motorists, he wouldn’t be queue jumping. Fact is, he’s impatient, and he thinks normal polite rules don’t apply. Just like many of you apparently. In my scenario, he should know that there’s a pretty good chance he’s inconveniencing me. And yet, he still does it, cos he doesn’t give a shit.

You’ve got to take responsibility. Reading some of your other threads, you’d do well to apply it to all aspects of your life.

You have absolutely no idea.

Pay it forward when it hits you.

Is this a roundabout way of telling me not to be a nice guy?

Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 1,153 total)

The topic ‘Overtaking.’ is closed to new replies.