• This topic has 1,152 replies, 133 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by zokes.
Viewing 40 posts - 681 through 720 (of 1,153 total)
  • Overtaking.
  • bigyinn
    Free Member

You’ve got absolutey no idea based on this stupid thread, because you’re not really understanding what I’m saying.

Perhaps, just maybe, you’re STILL not explaining yourself very well?
    The scenario seems to vary somewhat, although you seem to have introduced a level of consistancy to it now. However the number of people disagreeing rather than agreeing with you seems to suggest you’re wrong or fail to understand how it works.

tinybits
    Free Member

Mol, you’re not understanding the difference between people not understanding you, and totally disagreeing with you. Questions are still forthcoming as people think they see a gap in your argument and hope they can insert a wedge to open it up. I know what you’re saying, I just happen to think its crap. Now I’m being pedantic about your posts as I’m a little bored… You’ve been very specific about how you drive, I think you’re slow, hesitant, unwatchful and tailgater based upon your lengthy and repeated descriptions.

glenp
    Free Member

Surely the nub of it all is: does the overtaker have a safe space to insert themselves into? If the queue is made up of gaps of 2 seconds or less, then he (for it will certainly be a boy) doesn’t.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Surely the nub of it all is: does the overtaker have a safe space to insert themselves into? If the queue is made up of gaps of 2 seconds or less, then he (for it will certainly be a boy) doesn’t. more dancing zebras!

Solo
    Free Member

Oi ! Flashy ! hands off my Banana !
    😯

zokes
    Free Member

Wow, is this still going? If molly was this assertive (albeit for a woefully lost cause in this instance) in his driving, he wouldn’t have this issue he seems at pains to describe in a way that makes him appear a very very average (in the Australian sense of the word) driver.

Solo
    Free Member

Wow, is this still going? If molly was this assertive (albeit for a woefully lost cause in this instance) in his driving, he wouldn’t have this issue he seems at pains to describe in a way that makes him appear a very very average (in the Australian sense of the word) driver. To have his keyboard moved to a distance beyond his reach. We could all move on.

tinybits
    Free Member

Yes, and I’m not helping so I’m now out. Back to checking the post for my rubber queens!

footflaps

Maybe he feels he has to take on TJ’s mantle of arguing to the death / lifetime ban (which ever comes first)?

zokes
    Free Member

Hopefully one or the other, sooner or later

Solo
    Free Member

Maybe he feels he has to take on TJ’s mantle of arguing to the death

Those of us who are about to overtake, salute you !

zokes
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fKhTk0IynHM[/video]

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Surely the nub of it all is: does the overtaker have a safe space to insert themselves into? If the queue is made up of gaps of 2 seconds or less, then he (for it will certainly be a boy) doesn’t.

Actually, at the recommended 2 seconds, he does. He moves into gap, the following car drops back to maintain 2 second gap. It’s hardly rocket science.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hopefully one or the other, sooner or later

Reported.

Mol, you’re not understanding the difference between people not understanding you, and totally disagreeing with you.

So are you.

People are assuming I’m not a decisive overtaker, and that I’m a dawdling granny. I’m neither. The reason I think I’m being misunderstood is that people are telling me their interpretation of my points and they’re not correct.

They think I am arguing against the reasonable driver who only queue jumps when it’s clear it’s going nowhere. I’m not – I’m arguing against the dicks who barge past anyway without bothering to wait to see if I’m interested in going.

We all agree there are dicks on the road, don’t we?

glenp
    Free Member

Actually, at the recommended 2 seconds, he does. He moves into gap, the following car drops back to maintain 2 second gap. It’s hardly rocket science.

OK. And the car behind that one then moves back, and the next, and so-on I assume you mean? So the overtaker relies on all of the other cars to move away from him, rather than him just keeping away from them in the first place? That is precisely how random slowing down of traffic happens, with the wave of slowing cars causing a “thickening” of the flow.

If the space is there to move in to, fine. If you are going to try and manufacture a safe space by forcing your way in and expecting the line of cars rearwards of you to oblige, then not fine.

scuzz
    Free Member

I’m arguing against the dicks who barge past anyway without bothering to wait to see if I’m interested in going.

Have you ever waited to overtake a lorry, had someone overtake you and the lorry, and followed them past the lorry? Or is that a danger explosion?

molgrips
    Free Member

I very rarely put myself on the wrong side of the road behind another car. Not enough visibility. Sometimes though if I can see very well, maybe it’s a downhill followed by an uphill, I might.

glenp
    Free Member

Have you ever waited to overtake a lorry, had someone overtake you, and followed them past the lorry? Or is that a danger explosion?

The (potential) problem there lies in getting a view of the road ahead – you don’t want to follow an overtaking car if he then has the ability to deprive you of a safe place to go.

phil.w
    Free Member

I’m arguing against the dicks who barge past anyway without bothering to wait to see if I’m interested in going.

And this is the bit people understand but completely disagree with you on.

Being behind you means the overtaking opportunity comes to you first, them later. If you haven’t taken it at the earliest opportunity, why is it reasonable to expect them to wait?

Solo
    Free Member

People are assuming I’m not a decisive overtaker, and that I’m a dawdling granny. I’m neither.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmu0Fv1gI5c[/video]

phil.w
    Free Member

you don’t want to follow an overtaking car if he then has the ability to deprive you of a safe place to go.

The correct thing to do here is overtake them as well as soon as they pull back in. 😉

glenp
    Free Member

Planning an overtake will usually take a good few seconds whilst you weigh up the hazards – a frustrated driver clearly stuck behind a slow moving vehicle is definitely a danger sign because they are likely to be looking to move out and overtake. A line of frustrated drivers even more so.

You need to be certain that the reason you are overtaking is not just that you are prepared to risk it when others aren’t. No matter in what you high regard you hold your road warrior skills and how superior you feel to these other poor sheep on the road it is almost certainly the case that they have made a balanced decision which you should think about. Just assuming they are all muppets and bowling past is very dangerous.

glenp
    Free Member

The correct thing to do here is overtake them as well as soon as they pull back in.

Well yea – except for that time when the guy ahead just about manages to get back in and you’re high and dry because the first decent look at the road you got was when he pulled into safety!

molgrips
    Free Member

Being behind you means the overtaking opportunity comes to you first, them later. If you haven’t taken it at the earliest opportunity, why is it reasonable to expect them to wait?

Well if you read back, the problem with queue jumping involves more than just me, the speedy man and the lorry.

zokes
    Free Member

Well if you read back, the problem with queue jumping involves more than just me, the speedy man and the lorry.

Actually, reading back, it appears the problem is mostly you….

freddyg
    Free Member

Now, now Zokes. Play nicely. 🙂

wwaswas

I’ve not read any of this bar seeing a nicely animated banana a page or two back when I popped in but I’m well impressed that this thread is pushing Thatchers death on the number of pages count.

STW has excelled itself by making as much noise about overtaking as it does about the death of the most divisive prime minister we had in the 20th century.

Err, that’s it.

zokes
    Free Member

Come on, I suspect more that 75% of the >700 posts involve some variation on IT’S NOT FAIR!!!!!!!!

😆

camo16
    Free Member

a nicely animated banana

I too enjoyed this banana.

And the monkey.

glenp
    Free Member

Having a low opinion of other drivers is also a big danger – again; make assumptions at your (and everyone else’s) peril. Half way down that line of cars you might suddenly realise why they aren’t overtaking…

Solo
    Free Member

Actually, reading back, it appears the problem is mostly you….

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWeMQevIEto[/video]

phil.w
    Free Member

Well yea – except for that time when the guy ahead just about manages to get back in and you’re high and dry because the first decent look at the road you got was when he pulled into safety!

You seem to forget, I’m driving a van. Can see over the top of cars. 8)

(oh, plus I wasn’t being entirely serious)

Solo
    Free Member

I too enjoyed this banana.

And the monkey.

But don’t get the two of them in the same room together.

richmtb

it is almost certainly the case that they have made a balanced decision which you should think about.

😀 😆 😀

Ay! Its nice here init will we stop at the next village for a nice cup of tea

We’d better Mavis I’m bursting

wwaswas

75% of the >700 posts involve some variation on IT’S NOT FAIR!!!!!!!!

This *is* the Thatcher thread 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

Having a low opinion of other drivers is also a big danger

Au contraire. Having a low opinion to me suggests you expect them to do the wrong thing, which is the right way to do it. Assume people are stupid and then you’re pleasantly surprised when they dont.
    Plus make assumptions that they will do the correct thing and you’ll likely find yourself in a pile up at some point soon.

glenp
    Free Member

Well that’s just semantics, or maybe just me not explaining myself properly – I meant that it is dangerous to assume that the drivers failing to overtake are beneath you/in slower cars/asleep. It may well be the case that there is a really good reason for the line of cars holding station, and it’s just that you as the rear-most vehicle can’t see what the reason is yet.

I agree by the way that if you are going to overtake you need to be decisive – I strongly disagree however with anyone that bases that decision on the belief that they are a better driver than anyone else.

tinybits
    Free Member

Or it could be the you can see clearly and are in a line of non overtaking dithers and accelerate past the lot if them, at which point an overly aggressive, Prius driver who has clearly been asleep wakes up and tries to take you out because it’s not fair he was too busy reading current mpg and not the road ahead.

glenp
    Free Member

Yep, tinybits, that might happen. One of the many reasons that skipping a line of cars ought to be an exception, not a rule. Too many variables.

molgrips
    Free Member

It may well be the case that there is a really good reason for the line of cars holding station, and it’s just that you as the rear-most vehicle can’t see what the reason is yet.

Yeah, often there’s five or six lorries or caravans ahead and the rest of us have realised that it’s not worth bothering as the motorway’s coming up soon anyway.

Viewing 40 posts - 681 through 720 (of 1,153 total)

The topic ‘Overtaking.’ is closed to new replies.