Home Forums Chat Forum OSX Sequoia : Hide Distracting Items

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • OSX Sequoia : Hide Distracting Items
  • maccruiskeen

(having installed this morning) Following a link to the Manchester Evening News from a thread I thought I’d have a go at OSX / Safari’s new ‘hide distracting items’ feature for web pages. Annoying pops up and floating ads on the page become a fun game of whack-a-mole and they pop into a little shower of stars and disappear when you click on them.

Would I be right to assume, unlike an adblocker, from the site’s point of view the ads are still being served?

Anyway something to amuse the free members for a while I guess :-)

Perhaps in 15.0.2 that can add a totaliser and forumites can post their high scores.

zilog6128

had heard about it but not used it yet. Just tried it on that **** saracen ad on the front page which apparently is not an ad. kaboooooom!! awesome :)

it’s kind of like a 90s techno-thriller film where a computer gets a virus and stuff just starts vaporising off the screen :):):)

phil5556

I was going to say that I can do it on my phone too, but it seems to have disappeared with the 18.0.1 update?
    There’s now just an option to turn off content blockers.

phil5556

Oh, it’s still there on other sites but not on here?

zilog6128

Oh, it’s still there on other sites but not on here?

works for me on here but I’m running 18.1b6 at the moment!

maccruiskeen

I was going to say that I can do it on my phone too

Ah – im still on 17 something-or-other

blokeuptheroad

Would I be right to assume, unlike an adblocker, from the site’s point of view the ads are still being served?

Is it a built in feature of the Safari browser, not an extension or third party app?  If so, I can’t see the issue.  Especially as a feature to hide “distracting items” isn’t necessarily focused solely on adverts, It sounds great if it works, can I run Safari on a Chromebook and Android phone?

blokeuptheroad

I’d really like to zap these half rendered psychedelic side banners!  The very definition of “distracting items”!

Screenshot 2024-10-18 16.24.01

Cougar2
    Free Member

There’s a plugin for Chrome called consent-o-matic which does something similar.  You tell it what you do and don’t agree to, then it does all the cookie consent clicking for you.  I’ve been using it for a couple of months and it’s showing nearly 3,000 clicks saved.  It’s my new favourite thing.

mattyfez

can I run Safari on a Chromebook and Android phone?

You can but Opera is a better mobile browser as it has proper text reflow, and it comes with a built in ad-blocker which is mostly quite effective.

blokeuptheroad

Thanks both.  Cougar, that sounds like a great option.  I’ll take a look.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.