Viewing 40 posts - 9,961 through 10,000 (of 12,715 total)
  • Osbourne says no to currency union.
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

duckman – Member
    Nope TMA,peas in a pod. Still,14 days to save your retirement/holiday plans! Still as confident as you were a couple of weeks

I can see why you like the DO – your ability to misrepresent is legendary. No wonder “peas in a pod” slips so easily off the tongue!!! It’s an amazing ability for a ref to have.

But since you asked

teamhurtmore – Member
    At the end of the day, this is going to be a very, very close vote.
    POSTED 1 DAY AGO #

Said the same thing in the early pages too. Pays to be consistent.

If yS creates chaos, property prices will respond accordingly and I will be very happy in one respect. It’s those who will lose out from the BS that I feel sorry for.

gordimhor

Interesting article old bloke. Whimbrel I think the key phrase you quote is

received more in benefits and public services

That is factoring in things like NHS treatment and education.
    I have no doubt that Farage being a first class sphincter meant to give the impression that scots are lazy and content to collect their bru money.

bigjim

What have we done to deserve Salmond and Farrage at the same time? The next thing we know there will be Galloway involved, oh wait a minute…..

A Farrage Salmond BS bingo fest next? Would either of them be able to last an hour without saying something true?

😆

I like Galloway though, largely for his attack on the US senate.

konabunny
    Free Member

cancelled out by his being a creep to the Saddam regime and other scumbag enterprises.

bencooper – Member
    The institutions set limits on the discourse – in the case of Westminster, it means that only a narrow set of right-wing views are heard.
    POSTED 7 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

I respectfully disagree with you. Westminster operates in the context of global capitalism, and I tend to think that is more important than constitutional…constitution in setting the parameters and substance of political discourse. that’s also why I think iScotland won’t be much fairer or equitable than the UK is – it will still have the same fundamental relationship with global capitalism. like you said above, same crab, smaller bucket.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

like you said above, same crab, smaller bucket.

Even to the extent of privatising the nhs encouraging and outsourcing the provision of health services to the private sector.

piemonster

Depends what you do,there is a blanket ban on anybody in education,certainly in my authority,displaying anything. I just park outside the gates…

Thought it was across the board tbh. Several boards at that.

Anyway I’m seeing a lot less. And the cars parked up on my road that had them no longer do. I can’t believe they’ve all changed their minds so assumed they where public sector.

Kind of makes me curious as to the breakdown of voting intentions and employment in my local area.

bencooper
    Free Member

that’s also why I think iScotland won’t be much fairer or equitable than the UK is – it will still have the same fundamental relationship with global capitalism

Possibly. But the UK (including Scotland) is one of the most unequal of the developed countries, so I don’t think that’s an inevitable result of global capitalism. There’s lots we could do but haven’t because of entrenched interests at Westminster – just look at who owns the big Highland estates for a start.

So you’re right that global capitalism is a power we’ll have to deal with, but I think an independent Scotland could do that better than the broken Westminster parliament ever will.

bencooper
    Free Member

Even to the extent of privatising the nhs encouraging and outsourcing the provision of health services to the private sector.

Oh, good grief. Evidence please.

bencooper
    Free Member

Anyway I’m seeing a lot less. And the cars parked up on my road that had them no longer do.

I’ve not noticed a difference, but I wonder if the increasing bile from union supporters is the reason. What I’m worried about is what the knuckle-dragging, Rangers-supporting, Orange Order bigots will do if there is a Yes vote.

piemonster

just look at who owns the big Highland estates for a start.

There’s an estate near Crieff owned by a Scandinavian (Norsk iirc) who is a total, selfish, get off my land, ****
    Edit, nope not sure, might be a Swede.

Nob head anyway.

piemonster

I’m worried about is what the knuckle-dragging, Rangers-supporting, Orange Order bigots will do if there is a Yes vote.

Yeh, well you will live in the rough end of Scotland. Much more civilised over here on the Tayside Riviera.

epicyclo

bencooper – Member
    …What I’m worried about is what the knuckle-dragging, Rangers-supporting, Orange Order bigots will do if there is a Yes vote.

They’ll all head down to England waving their Union flags. There they will be stopped at the new border and get locked up in concentration camps for illegal immigrants. 😆

bencooper
    Free Member

Aye, though actually around here it seems very solid Yes – loads of signs in windows, the Yes Maryhill shop always looks busy.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

What have we done to deserve Salmond and Farrage at the same time?

You did’t get Salmond, we did because we voted for him. We got Farage because you voted for him. And Cameron. Not sure what we did to deserve those two

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Evidence Ben? Look in the gov stats, it’s all there although some of the key data is hidden near the back. Under nice mr salmond Scottish NHS spends more money on private sector healthcare that Wales and England on a per capita basis.

So if this is the indicator of privatisation (it isn’t, but the DO likes to deceive folk into believing that it is) then you are further down the privatisation road than the rest of us. Funny old world.

piemonster

Aye, though actually around here it seems very solid Yes – loads of signs in windows, the Yes Maryhill shop always looks busy.

I thought we’d banned ‘ayes’

To be honest. I’m just referring to car stickers. And there aren’t enough ‘no’ stickers on cars for me to notice any significant drop. Although the one car on the street still has it, but I only notice that because the driver is both very friendly and err… attractive. Not as attractive as the girlfriend, obviously….

bencooper
    Free Member

I have looked at various stats, do you have a link?

Because the stuff I’ve seen says Scotland spends about 1% of the NHS budget with private companies, whereas it’s around 6% south of the border – and the figure for Scotland includes paying locums and the like.

In addition, in Scotland the private companies are not bidding for NHS contracts as they are south of the border – they’re only being hired by the NHS for specific services.

scotroutes

Not until TTIP kicks in

bencooper
    Free Member

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a No car sticker…

piemonster

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a No car sticker…

Sure you have, he was driving like a twunt remember?

Iirc a white bmw

bencooper
    Free Member

On yes! Good memory, that was ages ago. Another I feel sorry for is the one No person in the big block of flats at Finnieston, surrounded by a dozen Yes flats. That must make for some uncomfortable silences in the lifts 😉

zippykona

Ben, you make Scotland sound like one big happy family.

Northwind

teamhurtmore – Member

Evidence Ben? Look in the gov stats, it’s all there although some of the key data is hidden near the back. Under nice mr salmond Scottish NHS spends more money on private sector healthcare that Wales and England on a per capita basis.

Care to actually show them? The ones quoted most recently were for “subcontractors”, which was represented in the press and by the No campaign as meaning private contractors but in fact 7/10ths of these “subcontractors” were councils and charities.

bencooper
    Free Member

Ben, you make Scotland sound like one big happy family.

It is!

Okay, it isn’t. But I think there is a shared sense of something – community, a certain sense of humour, a “f*** you then” attitude to people telling us we can’t do something.

scotroutes

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0flxQCmb5oY[/video]

imnotverygood

Okay, it isn’t. But I think there is a shared sense of something – community, a certain sense of humour, a “f*** you then” attitude to people telling us we can’t do something.

I’m sorry, but the last bit really does make Scotland sound like a stroppy teenager and is one on the reasons I will vote no. More to the point: would you suggest that England leaves the EU on the basis that we have a Stiff upper lip and a sense of fair play not shared by Johnny Foreigner? This is just a national myth making. A bit like when Scotland boasted of how anti-racist and welcoming to other people it was…. right up until asylum seekers were house in Glasgow and lo and behold it transpired that Scotland had just as many racist bigots as anywhere else. Don’t believe the self-serving stories that Nationalists (in general not just Scottish) tell about themselves.

bencooper
    Free Member

I’m sorry, but the last bit really does make Scotland sound like a stroppy teenager and is one on the reasons I will vote no

Well I’m making my voting decisions on a bit more than a random comment on the internet by someone who’s had quite a lot of home-made cider – but if that’s why you’re voting no then that’s your choice 😉

imnotverygood

You under-estimate what an influential opinion former you are.

bencooper
    Free Member

I really hope that’s not true!

aracer
    Free Member

Well I’m making my voting decisions on a bit more than a random comment on the internet by someone who’s had quite a lot of home-made cider

Oh, I assumed you were quoting Alex. Or is it him who’s been drinking home-made cider – it would explain a lot.

bencooper
    Free Member

It is very good cider, even if I do say so myself – light, not too sweet, a very pleasant aftertaste.

aracer
    Free Member

a very pleasant aftertaste.

So quite unlike Scottish Independence

bencooper
    Free Member

😀

wanmankylung
    Free Member

[/quote]Okay, it isn’t. But I think there is a shared sense of something – community, a certain sense of humour, a “f*** you then” attitude to people telling us we can’t do something.

I’m not so sure that it’s “**** you then” more “watch me”. We’re told we can’t do things because we’re not allowed to not because we’re incapable of doing them. Eventually that will end in rebellion…

molgrips
    Free Member

just look at who owns the big Highland estates for a start

This is an interesting point. If the land is privately owned, will it be confiscated? What would be done with it if it weren’t shooting estates?

Genuine questions not rhetoric (GQNR)

Anyway I think Ben is seriously damaging the Scottish economy by posting on here and not being busy pimping out bikes for rich City bankers

bencooper
    Free Member

This is an interesting point. If the land is privately owned, will it be confiscated? What would be done with it if it weren’t shooting estates?

Lesley Riddoch’s Blossom has lots of good stuff on this. Ending primogeniture would be a very good start, that would naturally lead to the breakup of the big estates. Making community buyouts easier would help. Relaxing planning laws would make a big difference. Forests could be community owned instead of the FC, meaning locals get a lot more say in things. We could have a much more outdoorsy culture – Scotland has around 300 forest huts (mostly at Carbeth), Norway has 300,000.

It’s not about massive development, it’s about meaning locals can build houses for themselves, it’s about small communities being able to build a football pitch without having to negotiate for years with the local laird. It’s about people actually having a connection to the land instead of it being an investment vehicle for offshore owners. In Scandinavia, fishing, hunting and sailing are things that most people do, here they’re things really only for the wealthiest. That doesn’t have to be the case, but the reason for it is that so much land is locked up away from ordinary people.

gordimhor

Land ownership is a major issue all over Scotland. Google Andy Wightman to find out more.

epicyclo

molgrips – Member
    “just look at who owns the big Highland estates for a start”

The land was stolen originally, so confiscation seems appropriate.

It could be used for hunting toffs. 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

A combination of the Hunger Games, and Upperclass Twit of the Year?

I’d watch that 😉

duckman

aracer – Member

a very pleasant aftertaste.

So quite unlike Scottish Independence

Posted 8 hours ago #Report-Post

An increasing number of us disagree.

Viewing 40 posts - 9,961 through 10,000 (of 12,715 total)

The topic ‘Osbourne says no to currency union.’ is closed to new replies.