Home Forums Bike Forum OS Maps vs GPS?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • OS Maps vs GPS?
  • Butterfly2346
    Free Member

Me and the BF were recently biking around the lake district, and although we had both OS maps and his pocket PC, we ended up using the OS maps as the pocket PC failed in showing any maps (despite him sorting it all out before going away). Though a proper map is more reliable as it doesn’t run out of battery it’s pain to keep stopping and checking a map! Have other people had better time with GPS’s, and what are the pro’s and con’s of GPS’s? I hope to do lots more exploring and need good navigating tools for a numpty like me can use 😆

neninja
    Free Member

I use a Satmap gps with OS maps on it. Take a paper map as back up but never needed so far.

Works for me – can’t think of any major cons apart from the fact we have far fewer breaks during rides now as we rarely have to stop and check a map.

nickjb
    Free Member

I like using a GPS, well actually a GPS enabled smart(ish) phone. I use it a couple of different ways depending on the ride. Just go with the flow, see a nice track and take it then whip the GPS out to see where to go next or plan a route and use the GPS to keep on track. I’ve got all my local area maps already loaded and I can download other maps at home on WiFi or out on the trail over the phone network. It works well, even used in the Alps and in Australia.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

GPS can be really useful for allowing map-checking on the move rather than constant paper map faff. Did 3 days of riding in the Brecon Beacons recently and didn’t look at the paper maps once. But they were there in the backpack in case of GPS failure.

Get something that has the maps stored in memory before you start. Smartphones that download the maps as you move around are fine, until you lose phone reception, and then you’ve got no more maps.

I use a Satmap with 1:25000 and 1:50000 OS mapping, but there are plenty of other good units out there from the likes of Garmin, MemoryMap etc.

nickjb
    Free Member

Smartphones that download the maps as you move around are fine, until you lose phone reception, and then you’ve got no more maps

Depends on the app and how you use it. I use Viewranger which downloads free maps into cache then keeps them their even after signal is lost. If you know where you are going you can just scroll around the area at home on WiFi and the maps will be there without needing any data. Paid for maps are stored permanently and need no data either.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Nickjb – yes, that’s the point I was trying to make. Get the maps in before you start, don’t rely on picking them up on the move.

nickjb
    Free Member

Get the maps in before you start, don’t rely on picking them up on the move.

Good point, totally agree. One of the big plusses for a GPS smartphome is that you usually can grab an extra map out on the trail if you change your plan, though.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘OS Maps vs GPS?’ is closed to new replies.