Home Forums Bike Forum Optimisting eMTB power mode settings

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Optimisting eMTB power mode settings
  • bikesandboots

What should I be doing? It’s my first one and it feels fine on defaults, but I can’t be having settings and not optimising them! Only a few rides in and this is the last thing I left to experiment with.

I know what they all do. But unlike with suspension I don’t really know what better/worse or too much/little feels like. Or good trail scenarios to try different settings on while paying attention to the effect of each setting.

The bike is a lightweight with TQ motor, but this question probably isn’t specific to that although some things might be different for light vs. full power bikes.

Max power is 30-300W, defaults are eco 99W, mid 180W, high 300W. I’ve been mostly been using the lowest mode I can while maintaining a good cadence, unless I’m squeezing in a short ride of an hour or two.

Assist is 25-200%, defaults are eco 86%, mid 112%, high 156%. The feeling is fine throughout the input power range. I did notice in high when feeling lazy it was this that was limiting the power to lower than 300W because I was putting in a bit less than the requisite 192W.

Pedal response is from slow to fast, default is just under halfway on all modes. I was thinking bumping it up at least in high for more power setting off from stationery on chunky climbs.

Cutoff speed is 5-25km/h, default is max in all modes. I was thinking of lowering in eco as on long flat-ish bits I’d rather save battery for the climbs than go faster, which I currently do by turning assist off manually by long pressing the bar remote.

julians
    Free Member

Just experiment and set to whatever give you your preferred balance of speed versus range.

For what it’s worth (I have the same motor) I have the following

Eco :max power 150w, assist 60%

Mid: max power 225w, assist 110%

Max :max power 300w,assist 165%

oceanskipper

I have a different motor and have tweaked the settings but always end up back with the defaults. What I did notice though is that cycling along a flat route  at 13- 15mph with the motor on felt no different to with the motor off  –  it just used a load of battery unnecessarily so now I switch the assist off completely on the flat. Mines a light (for an e-bike) gravel bike though.

scaled
    Free Member

+1 for have a tinker and end up back at defaults.  I’m on an EP8RS in a rise and figured i’d give myself a bit more power. It wasn’t really useful power compared to what i’d got used to, the default settings had 3 useful modes that just felt right

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.