Home Forums Chat Forum On the subject of soundbars

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • On the subject of soundbars
  • dyna-ti

Ordering a tv on Monday, and the bloke in the shop recommends a soundbar. TV is a samsung and part of the deal on it you get a soundbar 1/2 price.

I didnt pay a great deal of attention to which is was exactly, but from the price its either this one..

https://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-hw-q600c-bluetooth-cinematic-soundbar-with-dolby-atmos-dts-x-wireless-subwoofer-black/p110271033

Or this one..

https://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-hw-s801b-bluetooth-wi-fi-ultra-slim-soundbar-with-dolby-atmos-dts-x-wireless-subwoofer-white/p6241639

Actually thinking on it now, its possibly the one above

It didnt appear to have a sub woofer when he showed it, but it was very good

Anyone got either can tell me how they got on.

As the deal is 1/2 price, and they havent specified one or other, I suppose I have my pick, so I dont mind going a bit higher price wise if thats going to given me the best sound(Music/Movies/Gaming)

Any recommendations ?

cinnamon_girl

I have a Samsung soundbar with sub that was paired with a Samsung telly until it broke. In fact I started a thread a few years ago about how the soundbar was failing regularly to communicate with the remote control only 20 months after purchase.

The upshot was that I repeatedly e-mailed Samsung about the issue (couldn’t face dealing with Currys who I bought it from) and wouldn’t give up despite them saying I should simply get it repaired. What the heck. Eventually they agreed to repair it without charge, it was OK for a while and now it isn’t.

Would never buy anything from Samsung again, their customer service is sh*t and based I think in the Far East.

beanieripper
    Free Member

I’m always amazed by the mainstream reviews of Samsung. It’s all absolutely shite middle ground overpriced crap.

cinnamon_girl

It used to have a reasonable reputation. What brands are worth considering for audio visual purposes, who’s decent these days without paying a hefty premium?

cogglepin

My mate who repairs TVs etc swears by LG and he reckons the new Phillips are good as well. 

cinnamon_girl

Thank you, that’s useful info.

sadexpunk

not what you asked, but any chance of playing your tv through your speakers if you have a decent set?

Marko

A sound bar with no subwoofer = waste of time.

As for a TV, then Panasonic every time. This is based on the fact that our old CRT Panasonic was made in Wales and despite the fact that the factory shut years ago I’m still a loyal customer. How sad am I 🙄

prettygreenparrot

I used to buy Sony TVs. Now I buy LG TVs.
    Would be very unlikely to buy a Samsung TV as they just don’t seem as good value as LG. and no OLED as far as I know.

Bad thing about LG – the ‘magic’ remotes. One rumble from our subwoofer and if the remote is anywhere but a very solid place the TV menu pops up expectantly.

Only Panasonic TV I have had I won! And it lasted for only a few years whereas the Sony bought some years before is still going well.

And, yeah, a TV without extra speakers and subwoofer is a comparative disappointment.

andy5390

I got a Polk Signa 2 with a sub, three years ago for £207 with a 6 year warranty, from Richer sounds. TV speakers sound like empty biscuit tins in comparison.

I ordered online to pick up, and when I got there, the manager had set up the listening room with additional 2 soundbars for me to compare (for a £200 sound bar), before I took it away.

I’ve always had great CS from them, so they could be worth a look if you have a nearby branch

Alex

We have an 10+ year old Samsung relegated to Switch/PS4 duties when offspring are home. It came with a BT soundbar and a wired Sub Woofer. We still use it to play music in that room and it’s good enough that my better half refuses to let me replace it with another SONOS device 😉

The TV is hilarious tho. All the ‘apps’ died off years ago, the wifi doesn’t work and neither of the two remote controls make any sense at all, mainly due to the comedic lag of operation.

Refuses to die tho. We bought Sony this time around. Was a close call with LG, I think the Sony had more money off from memory. Been really happy with that.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Have a look at the Denon sound bars. We recently bought a new tv and decided to add a sound bar, but only wanted to spend c £200. Listened to a few and the Denon was easily the best in term of sound quality (to my ears) at that price point. Guess it makes sense given their hifi heritage. Doesn’t come with all the toys, bug the money seems to be spent on the most important part, the sound. They’ve got a full range so you can spend as much as you want, but the entry level 217 is enough for us in a smallish living room

timmys

Would be very unlikely to buy a Samsung TV as they just don’t seem as good value as LG. and no OLED as far as I know.

Hilariously, after years of Samsung trying to pedal QLED as being a competitor to OLED, they admitted defeat a couple of years ago and now sell OLEDs.

In any circumstance for any electronic device, there’s never a situation that Samsung is the answer.

dyna-ti

Hilariously, after years of Samsung trying to pedal QLED as being a competitor to OLED, they admitted defeat a couple of years ago and now sell OLEDs.

Really ? In my research I’ve found the opposite. Besides the tv is also going to be used as a monitor a lot of the time, which rules out Oled screens.

TV in question is Samsung ‘the frame’ 65″

I did originally decided upon a QN90B, but that fluctuated in price so much and last time went up 300, and after that is was discontinued and replaced with the QN90C, which is more than I want to spend.

The frame is quite similar to the 90b, tech spec wise , but im not paying the extra they’ve plonked on top for the 90c

Pauly

Very happy with my Samsung QLED after a year. Good menu system with zero lag, picture is great, gaming is too.

Didn’t like the LG interface when I tried them back to back in store. I think that once you are spending £1k+ then there’s probably not a huge difference in the picture quality.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.