Home Forums Chat Forum Oil tank location

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by rt60.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Oil tank location
  • scrabble

We had a different person service (from normal) our oil boiler today and he has highlighted on his report that the oil tank is not in the correct position for fire safety as it is within 1.8 meters of a window. I have had a look at the regulations and it states that if it is within 1.8 meters then a fire proof 30 minute surround has to be provided that is 300mm above and around the affected part of the tank. Our tank is 280mm away from the wall.

Am I right in thinking that all I need to do is get someone to extend the base sufficiently to allow the tank to be slide a few cms away from the house and then have a fire proof surround built?

would this have to be carried out by an OFTEC registered engineer or would I have to get building control out to check it?

slightly annoyed as I have a completion certificate from 2015 (after the tank was installed) and I would thought any non compliance would have been picked up then. Also we have had the tank serviced twice since we bought the house and it was never mentioned.

trail_rat
    Free Member

slightly annoyed as I have a completion certificate from 2015 (after the tank was installed) and I would thought any non compliance would have been picked up then

It may have met regs in 2015.

Retrospective regs don’t apply unless you change the system.

There are oil tanks all round the land in places where they “shouldn’t be” according to regs but which can’t go anywhere else on the availible plot.

We used to get this with ours for being too close to a boundary. When asked where the guy would put it he pointed to an area…. I said so you’d rather it was next to the water course the other side of that boundary than my neighbours boundary ?

The matter was dropped.

Lots of factors at play here. Wouldn’t get too worried unless he’s condemned it.

rt60
    Free Member

As above the building regs are not retrospective and if you have a completion certificate the you are ahead of most people!

When the tank is replaced it needs to meet the current regs but as long as they are not highlighting any issues with the tank itself then such as uv damage, cracks or rust then it’s just for information. Probably 95% of tanks in the UK don’t meet the current standards.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Oil tank location’ is closed to new replies.