Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 300 total)
  • Obese? "Exercise or We'll Cut Your Benefits" – Tory Council Plan.
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

he is living proof of that
    FACT

he is being sarcastic [ as am I] for in reality he is fat and rich

glupton1976
    Free Member

Am I getting a synopsis or not?

yunki
    Free Member

I’m relatively poor (by STW standards) and incredibly lazy and I’ve just eaten my own bodyweight in Chinese takeaway..

are they going to stop our working family tax credits..?

Junkyard
    Free Member

tories are not nice
    will pickles go on a diet?

if your fat its your fault [society has not helped by the removal of access to sporting facilities and the free availability of fast foods- some more tory bashing – lets tackle that to]
    to do sports costs money
    No it does not my bike is free
    no you had to buy it

yes but its fats people own fault

order may not be correct jist is

glupton1976
    Free Member

Thanks Junkyard.

I would’ve read it all but i’m too busy lying on the couch stuffing my face with ice cream.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

You saved yourself a headache then! Not a bad summary from JY, but he missed two cracking early jokes (from different perspectives) about leisure wear. They made the thread, especially the very witty retort about rugger shirts and cricket jumpers. Very drole!

Jamie
    Free Member

Mmmmm….pickles!

joeegg
    Free Member

In my area the facilities are there to help people lose weight.

My wife went on a weight loss scheme,free pedometer and a weekly check provided by the local health authority.
    She was given a minimum amount to walk per day,which she easily exceeded.Her diet was also looked at every week.There was nothing complicated.
    She lost about a stone,felt fitter and permanently changed her eating habits.
    The thing is the advisor said that my wife was exceptional amongst the people she saw.Some handed back the pedometers as they never walk anywhere and others didn’t change one thing in their diet.
    She can go to the local council gym and swimming pool for just £17 a month,and no we’re not on benefits.
    Maybe these opportunities are not available in other areas but here its brought to you on a plate (so to speak ).

irc

I’d just point out that its likely that we haven’t evolved much, which is to say that there is no significant genetic difference between you and your ancestor of 60,000 yrs ago.

Surely a major change in diet would be likely to accelerate evolution? After all almost every human race has evolved in the last 50’000 years. If evolution can produce such visible changes then there is likely to be other changes for example the way tolerance to alcohol has evolved in some populations but not others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_tolerance

I’d think it likely humans have evolved in response to a grain diet over 10’000 or more years.

jamj1974

We should do this with MP and minister salaries… How much could we take away from Ken Clarke?

andyrm
    Free Member

I remember as a teenager my 2 years younger sister put on a bit of weight – we are from a very sporty and active family and I remember my mum sending her to extra athletics and dance sessions, plus cutting pocket money so she couldn’t buy sweets etc at school.

IMO that’s responsible parenting. Sadly we now have a victim culture where it’s always someone else’s fault rather than a lack of personal responsibility.

Replace payments with direct rent payments and food vouchers that can’t be used for fags, booze or ready meals/junk food and you’d sort this. Harsh, but if they won’t take responsibility for themselves, someone else should.

Junkyard
    Free Member

adults are allowed to make bad choices whether you [or their parents]like it.

Why are only those on benefits getting your tough love?

deviant
    Free Member

Why are only those on benefits getting your tough love?

….because they’re using tax payers money to get fat?

IanW
    Free Member

…and others are using it to get high, drive cars, read books, buy flowers or paint their halls. Do you have a complete list of do’s and dont’s?

tazzymtb

to be fair, fatties should be treated with same disdain and horror as 4×4 drivers by the greens. Stuff the health or benefits argument. They are grossly over consuming resources that have a massive carbon footprint. Sorry, but a large scale macerator and direct injection into a EFW plant like we do with cow carcass is the only way they can pay back some of the energy debt.

or stick fins on them and sell them to the Japanese as new type of landwhale for hunting.

molgrips
    Free Member

I remember my mum sending her to extra athletics and dance sessions

Hmm.. that kind of parenting could work, but it could cause a hell of a lot of problems.

glupton1976
    Free Member

I remember my mum sending her to extra athletics and dance sessions

Ever heard of “Ugly Parent Syndrome”?

Solo
    Free Member

Surely a major change in diet would be likely to accelerate evolution? After all almost every human race has evolved in the last 50’000 years. If evolution can produce such visible changes then there is likely to be other changes for example the way tolerance to alcohol has evolved in some populations but not others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_tolerance

I’d think it likely humans have evolved in response to a grain diet over 10’000 or more years.

Professor Cordain seems to think grains aren’t much of a good thing.
    I don’t want to argue about it. Each to their own.
    🙂

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52A3ayfxfTs[/video]

Solo
    Free Member

adults are allowed to make bad choices

I’d say yes to that, upto the point that someone else’s lifestyle choice, effects me. A type of honouring your responsibility to your community sort of thing.

Spongebob
    Free Member

People have been getting obese for a long time now. You can’t blame any one political party!

Mass production of processed foods and the bare fact that food is relatively cheap now means that most people have become accustomed to eating far too much, especially convenience food.

Unfortunately it’s the least well educated people who don’t know when to put the brakes on. Have they not got a mirror? Do they not feel how bad it is to be obese? I can understand being overweight, but just don’t get how people get to 20-30-40 stones. Some top out at 70 stones. Who is feeding them? It isn’t them because that can’t even get out of their houses.

Something has to be done about it. My view is that we should educate people and encourage consumption of more homemade fayre. The outlawing of certain types of food would help.

Penalising people who have got to this sorry state is harsh, but if claimants are able to get this big whilst being supported by the state, the benefits they are getting are probably too great! So I believe it’s a fair policy, but as ever, pounced upon the loony left, who’ll have anyone who is perceived to be in a disadvantaged situation, who is not taking any personal responsibility for themselves, feeling like they are victims.

Remember the saying “there is nowt for nowt”

GrahamS

I’d say yes to that, upto the point that someone else’s lifestyle choice, effects me.

Like those silly mountain bikers whose lifestyle choice costs you valuable NHS money…?

MrsToast
    Free Member

She can go to the local council gym and swimming pool for just £17 a month,and no we’re not on benefits.

Blimey, wish our council leisure centre was that cheap – its £35 per month if you do a 6 month contract, and £50 per month with no contract. It’s around the same price as the private gyms – the swimming pool is a lot bigger, but it’s also freezing, crowded, and full of manky plasters. 🙁

Solo
    Free Member

Unfortunately it’s the least well educated people who don’t know when to put the brakes on. Have they not got a mirror? Do they not feel how bad it is to be obese? I can understand being overweight, but just don’t get how people get to 20-30-40 stones. Some top out at 70 stones. Who is feeding them? It isn’t them because that can’t even get out of their houses.

Quite a loaded paragraph there. It just isn’t as easy as telling someone to eat less. The body has a will of its own and if its signals become compromised, then excessive weight gain does occur.
    As for the higher weights you mention, at this stage people are usually suffering Metabolic syndrome in which case, your body definately isn’t functioning correctly and body fat regulation and storage are not working correctly.

Like those silly mountain bikers whose lifestyle choice costs you valuable NHS money…?
    A crude and clummsy attempt at Trolling which requires no more response than this.

Jamie
    Free Member

Blimey, wish our council leisure centre was that cheap – its £35 per month if you do a 6 month contract, and £50 per month with no contract. It’s around the same price as the private gyms – the swimming pool is a lot bigger, but it’s also freezing, crowded, and full of manky plasters.

£30 here, with £20 sign up. No contract.

I want £17.50 access 🙁

D0NK

Who is feeding them? It isn’t them because that can’t even get out of their houses.

I blame ocado

Graham your bmi mortality graph, was just wondering are anorexic/bulemic and other people who are skinny/malnourished through a medical condition included in the skinnies? and are these statistically relevant and should they be included? I can see how obesity on it’s own could be classed as a medical condition, dunno tho. is it fair to compare them?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

How will your local council know that your doctor had perscribed excercise? And how could they know that once you’d clocked in at the gym you’d actually used the facilities?

Of course it’s easy to kick the poor but harder to solve the difficult problems of society, so kick the poor again…

glupton1976
    Free Member

A crude and clummsy attempt at Trolling which requires no more response than this.

Interesting. I wonder what the cost of cycling related injury is compared to that of obesity. I’d hazard a guess that it’s a lot closer than you might imagine.

I saw one stat for the US which claimed a cost of $4bn/yr for cycling related injury.

MSP

Graham your bmi mortality grah, was just wondering are anorexic/bulemic and other people who are skinny/malnourished through some medical condition included in the skinnies? and are these statistically relevant and should they be included? I can see how obesity on it’s own could be classed as a medical condition, dunno tho. is it fair to compare the two?

In many cases I expect obesity to be as linked to mental problems as being skinny, I think it shows your own preconceptions and conditioning to think that one side of the graph should be treated differently from the other.

Solo
    Free Member

I can see how obesity on it’s own could be classed as a medical condition, dunno tho

Only after lobbying by Big pharma gets Govs to class obesity as a disease, for obvious reasons.

D0NK

I saw one stat for the US which claimed a cost of $4bn/yr for cycling related injury.

now is that 4bn just idiots throwing themselves against mountains/rocks or does that include otherwise healthy adults keeping fit until some moron drives over them?

Solo
    Free Member

I saw one stat for the US which claimed a cost of $4bn/yr for cycling related injury

Whats that ?, high costs in the land of litigation. Oh, go on with you 😉

D0NK

In many cases I expect obesity to be as linked to mental problems as being skinny,

that was part of my question, I can see how they could be comparable, wasn’t sure. but also there are other more physical medical conditions that can cause you to be malnourished.

Jamie
    Free Member

Only after lobbying by Big pharma gets Govs to class obesity as a disease, for obvious reasons.

It kills people?

Solo
    Free Member

It kills people?

I think you know what I was getting at, Jamie.
    Big pharma lobby Gov to class something as disease so that then GSK or whomever can make money selling drugs to combat said disease. Providing a solution to a problem that shouldn’t exist in the first place. imo.

irc

Interesting. I wonder what the cost of cycling related injury is compared to that of obesity. I’d hazard a guess that it’s a lot closer than you might imagine.

I saw one stat which claimed 190bn a year obesity costs for the USA.

I’d guess the mountain bikers on this forum have a higher than average injury rate. Utility cycling or touring is not much riskier than walking though. Nobody says there is a problem with walking related health costs. I’ve managed to cycle for decades without any injuries needing medical attention – a mix of commuting, touring, mountain biking, and everyday journeys.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh yeah – forgot to query this one:

Does that graph include people who are underweight because they have some other terrible disease which kills them?

zilog6128

I’ve managed to cycle for decades without any injuries needing medical attention – a mix of commuting, touring, mountain biking, and everyday journeys

Me too – as have most of the MTBers/cyclists I know. So in my limited sample it would be the exception rather than the norm.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Haven’t read the other pages but humans getting ‘bigger’ isn’t going to end well and is going to cost loads. Unfortunately those on benefits get tough love because they don’t earn the money to make the choice to eat more etc so ‘we’ can have a say in what they do because ‘we’ pay for it but the message of eat healthily and exercise needs to be given to all and encouraged. I like the idea of higher taxes on sweets/fast food/processed foods and the planners could start by allowing less of the Maccy D’s of this world to populate our high streets in place of ‘real’ shops or food outlets serving ‘home cooked’ produce.

Fwiw I’d back needing insurance for high risk sports injuries like mtbing, rugby etc but that’s a whole other can of low fat worms.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I wonder how you would feel about people on benefit being given a say in how you lived your life?

Solo
    Free Member

JY.

Are you alright ?, I think you need to calm down mate.
    Perhaps you’ve had too much forum time ?.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 300 total)

The topic ‘Obese? "Exercise or We'll Cut Your Benefits" – Tory Council Plan.’ is closed to new replies.