Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 300 total)
  • Obese? "Exercise or We'll Cut Your Benefits" – Tory Council Plan.
  • binners

Sorry mate. I don’t usually resort to meaningless stats, and selective charts either. After all…. we have the usual suspects for that type of thing 😉

* waves at Woppit and Z-11*

phil.w
    Free Member

I’ll go for option 1 Moly. I’ve never said it’s not difficult, choosing to give up is still a choice to be overweight.

Apart from those with some medical condition precluding them from taking part anybody can loose weight with a bit of effort and some lifestyle changes.

IHN

I dont think this gives you any more insight than any other childless person does it?

I think it gives me as much insight as a childless person who nevertheless has quite a lot of experience with children. But not as much as a parent, obviously. My parents were, well, parents, though, and they were very able to say no, I do have insight into that.

Pester power and peer pressure is unfortunately a real phenomenon

I never said they weren’t, and, absolutely, marketing campaigns aimed at children play on it. But still, the final decision to purchase (usually) lies with the parent, there is no getting away from that.

cookeaa

TBH I can follow binners socio-economic logic and it makes perfect sense…

I think the problem you’re having Mol is that as awesome as you clearly are the rest of the UK does not share your unique set of circumstances, income, outlook or opinions.

Some fairly blatant demonisation/snobbery towards the poor/chavs/fat people – standard on STW. People might try to characterise it as making people take responsibility for themselves, but to me it just shows a basic lack of human compassion.

Mind you at least it’s not as bad as UKC.

It’s a Forum for people to discuss their passing interest in £3K+ Ti/Carbon fibre road bikes you won’t find many more middle class forums than STW…

How is choosing to do nothing not a choice to stay overweight?

you’re projecting a few assumptions onto overweight people there aren’t you, how do you know they are “Choosing to Do Nothing” exactly?

Why not just be clear and honest you’re clinging to one of the last remaining forms of broadly acceptable bigotry; picking on fatties… Kudos to you.

binners

I never said they weren’t, and, absolutely, marketing campaigns aimed at children play on it. But still, the final decision to purchase (usually) lies with the parent, there is no getting away from that.

I’m sorry mate, but I’m going to make a record of that quote and gleefully hurl it back in your face, a few years down the line, once you’re mired in the cold harsh realities of parenthood 😆

IHN

I’ve no idea what you mean BinBins. Anyway, I’m off for a cup of tea.

🙂

D0NK

How is choosing to do nothing not a choice to stay overweight?

on a personal level there’s got to be some element of responsibility, eat less move more etc but if huge swathes of the nation are becoming obese surely that’s an indicator of problems with society?

grum
    Free Member

So what about the morality of companies spending millions marketing appalling food to our kids? You seem quite keen on ‘getting away from that’.

When people sell drugs to kids, whose fault is it? Not the drug dealers fault if the kids parents haven’t brought them up properly is it?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Some fairly blatant demonisation/snobbery towards the poor/chavs/fat people – standard on STW

+1!

An epidemic isn’t caused by lazy people eating junk food. its likely a “perfect storm” of lots of different factors, working longer hours, commuting further, less time to cook properly and less knowledge about how to do so, less walking/cycling for children, perhaps due to fear of the dangers (traffic/”strangers”) or lack of time to accompany children on the commute, lack of gardens and space for playing, and of course the addition of sugar, fat and salt to almost every single item of food on sale and a complete lack of clear labelling on it so we can make an informed choice (thanks to the food industries campaigning).

But i guess its a lot easier to blame chavs eating McDonalds.

phil.w
    Free Member

you’re projecting a few assumptions onto overweight people there aren’t you, how do you know they are “Choosing to Do Nothing” exactly?

People I meet or see on a one off occasion, I don’t know anything about their choices hence why you wont find me judging them.

People you know over period of time, it’s quite clear if they are losing weight or putting it on and what lifestyle choices they make.

It would appear it’s actually you ‘projecting assumptions’.

surfer
    Free Member

I think it gives me as much insight as a childless person who nevertheless has quite a lot of experience with children. But not as much as a parent, obviously. My parents were, well, parents, though, and they were very able to say no, I do have insight into that.

So in summary your experience is based on being a child once and having parents 😯

phil.w
    Free Member

if huge swathes of the nation are becoming obese surely that’s an indicator of problems with society?

The biggest problem is that only a few back what would be considered overweight is now considered to be normal.

cookeaa

An epidemic isn’t caused by lazy people eating junk food. its likely a “perfect storm” of lots of different factors, working longer hours, commuting further, less time to cook properly and less knowledge about how to do so, less walking/cycling for children, perhaps due to fear of the dangers (traffic/”strangers”) or lack of time to accompany children on the commute, lack of gardens and space for playing, and of course the addition of sugar, fat and salt to almost every single item of food on sale and a complete lack of clear labelling on it so we can make an informed choice (thanks to the food industries campaigning).

But i guess its a lot easier to blame chavs eating McDonalds.

+1000

Blaming the poorest in society is simply a way of ignoring the root causes of a growing problem that affects people at all levels of society…

binners

Typical bloody Tories really. Its ok to demonise people on council estates for eating too many pizzas, and what they then cost the NHS

I don’t see them expressing the same missionary zeal to get the middle classes to stop necking too much red wine and getting liver problems. Which presumably don’t cost the NHS anything at all

Solo
    Free Member

Well, I’ll try not to be personal…

And anyway, the grains we farmed were variants of the wild ones that we ate before, we just grew them in one place so we could have easier access to them and a more certain supply.

So, in short, I say you’re talking balls.

And you’re entitled to your opinion. I’d just point out that its likely that we haven’t evolved much, which is to say that there is no significant genetic difference between you and your ancestor of 60,000 yrs ago. Yet farming and grains have been around, at best, 10,000 years.
    So, to my mind, we aint set-up for grain consumption. Which is why we grind them and heat them to make them edible.

binners

Are you seriously suggesting that the Cheesy Wotsit isn’t a product of some food-based Darwinian natural evolution?

IHN

So what about the morality of companies spending millions marketing appalling food to our kids? You seem quite keen on ‘getting away from that’.

I didn’t say that. But to put a stop to it you have to define what ‘appalling food’ is and what ‘marketing to kids’ is in order to be able to legislate against them. You might end up saying that Greggs can’t sell gingerbread men…

When people sell drugs to kids, whose fault is it? Not the drug dealers fault if the kids parents haven’t brought them up properly is it?

I’m not even going to dignify that with a response. Apart from this one, obviously.

Solo
    Free Member

Are you seriously suggesting that the Cheesy Wotsit isn’t a product of some food-based Darwinian natural evolution?

I guess that what I’m really suggesting is that Man, for all his self inflated glory and knowledge.

Doesn’t create food which is as nutritious as Nature does.
    Yes, that, sadly, does include wotsits.
    😉

IanW
    Free Member

Theres seems to be a link between Anglo Saxon society and being a fat.

USA, UK Australia, Canada and NZ all seem to lead the way.

Could be the commercial activity in those countries, could be they have fine tuned life to be too easy or it could something specific to the majority race in which case I shout racism and request this thread is closed.

IHN

Sorry Solo, I didn’t mean to sound so harsh. It was more a jovial ‘you, sir, are talking balls’ 🙂

So, to my mind, we aint set-up for grain consumption. Which is why we grind them and heat them to make them edible.

And by grinding and heating them we turn them into something we are set up to consume. Many species ‘process’ foods that they couldn’t eat on the raw form.

Plus, given that most of the human population survive on grains, that’s surely a pretty strong indicator that they serve a pretty strong nutritional purpose?

zilog6128

An epidemic isn’t caused by lazy people eating junk food.

That is exactly what is causing it. It really is that simple.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Tonga.

binners

Maybe we need some Africa-esque droughts? Can’t see that happening though

Or more traditionally; get back to having massive wars. Possibly with each other. Or there’s the usual Muslim suspects, if we must. Though they don’t play properly. All that hiding and car bombs, and ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAH – BOOM!!!! stuff.

We need some good old fashioned trench warfare. So we can send the fatty council estate dwellers out as cannon fodder?

zilog6128

Plus, given that most of the human population survive on grains, that’s surely a pretty strong indicator that they serve a pretty strong nutritional purpose?

The key word there is “survive”. It denotes necessity not choice. The need to farm grains stems from overpopulation. The farming of grains was the greatest disaster to ever befall the human race, because it meant we moved from nomadic hunter-gatherers to a feudal system where the masses toiled to support the elite (a system which still exists to this day). FACT. Although I concede we would probably not have sweet carbon bicycles without that change.

binners

The farming of grains was the greatest disaster to ever befall the human race

I’m not so sure. Have you not seen the stuff in this mornings papers about Jim Davidson?

deviant
    Free Member

Can’t be bothered with reading all the pages but anything that helps reduce the walking eyesores that are obese people is fine with me….I would also appreciate it if they could usher in a ban on fatties eating in public, if there is a more disgusting sight than a porker shovelling yet more food into their pie-hole then I’ve yet to see it.

ahwiles
    Free Member

The farming of grains was the greatest disaster to ever befall the human race,

really?

Solo
    Free Member

Sorry Solo, I didn’t mean to sound so harsh. It was more a jovial ‘you, sir, are talking balls’

None taken, I see that now 🙂

Many species ‘process’ foods that they couldn’t eat on the raw form

😯

Plus, given that most of the human population survive on grains, that’s surely a pretty strong indicator that they serve a pretty strong nutritional purpose

As tempting as it is, I’ll not labour the point. If you want to go research grains, etc. I know you will.

binners

A lot of people seem to be really really hung up on the more generally proportioned. I don’t have an issue with them personally, with only one minor exception….

Those wearing leggings 😯

IHN

Leggings are slimming Binners, didn’t you know?

zilog6128

really?

Yep. Well, apart from whatever bell-end invented religion.

IHN

And don’t forget when they stopped making the Texan bar. That was pretty bad too.

binners

I’m sporting my meggings around the office at the moment. I look svelte ….

Solo
    Free Member

And don’t forget when they stopped making the Texan bar. That was pretty bad too

Yeah, a loss to mankind, that texan bar advert.

A Man’s godda chew, what a Man’s godda chew

binners

Hora based his entire persona on that advert

glupton1976
    Free Member

Kinell – Synopsis?

Solo
    Free Member

Synopsis ?

Do you want fries with that ?.

Solo
    Free Member

Hora based his entire persona on that advert

Including his facial hair too !.

GrahamS

Yeeeeesh that’s a big ol thread of self-righteousness there (on both sides).

I struggle with long sentences but has anyone rolled out this graph yet?

Being significantly underweight is very unhealthy too.

And this meta-analysis shows that being overweight (BMI: 25->30) means you actually have a 6% lower mortality rate than people of a “normal weight”:

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1555137
    http://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/01January/Pages/Overweight-people-live-longer-study-claims.aspx

Perhaps something for the skinny fatty-bashers to chew on. 😉

FeeFoo
    Free Member

A lot of people seem to be really really hung up on the more generally proportioned. I don’t have an issue with them personally

So we can send the fatty council estate dwellers out as cannon fodder?

You do seem hung up on the generalisation that poor and being fat go hand in hand though.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 300 total)

The topic ‘Obese? "Exercise or We'll Cut Your Benefits" – Tory Council Plan.’ is closed to new replies.