Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 300 total)
  • Obese? "Exercise or We'll Cut Your Benefits" – Tory Council Plan.
  • glupton1976
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20897681

I can see where they’re coming from, but it’s about one step away from using obese folk as biofuel.

andrewh
    Free Member

using obese folk as biofuel

Now you’re talking! Two birds with one stone. Ok 20 stone.

soma_rich
    Free Member

using obese folk as biofuel

Couldn’t we just get them running on treadmill generators? or bikes for that matter:

_tom_
    Free Member

Good.

MSP

There has been a gradual erosion of sports facilities and access for years. It’s just typical sabre rattling by a Tory council pointing the finger of blame at those worst off.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Put them on a treadmill with a fiery pit at the end they will fall off if they don’t keep running.

Link the treadmill to a generator and the fire pit to a biofuel plant.

The McFatties either get fit and generate power while doing it or fry and generate power while doing it.*

*part of my alternative green manifesto along with killing all the whales to feed the Japanese which will both provide nourishment and lower the sea levels (Archimedes and his bath concept)

glupton1976
    Free Member

BTW – I like the idea of using obese folk as biofuel. The difference between me and the Tories is that I’d wait until they were dead.

binners

So a government that has slashed funding for grass-roots sport (yet spanked billions instead on a sports-based vanity project), sold off school sports facilities to developers, closed after school clubs, youth clubs etc, and has pointedly refused to regulate the fast food industry, is now blaming people for not doing any exercise?

Usual Tory ‘blame the victim’ crap then? You couldn’t make it up. Actually … you could. They’re getting achingly predictable

Does anyone wish to point out to Dave and Gideon that not everyone has a private gym membership and a personal trainer/tennis coach, to boff your missus while you’re working long hours in the city? ****s!! 🙄

Peyote
    Free Member

Couldn’t we just get them running on treadmill generators? or bikes for that matter

Probably not as efficient as burning them in a gas-turbine style power station. Although I suppose a combined heat and power set up with them chained to the treadmill/static bike may work. Have to be a well insulated gym-prison though, you’d want to minimise any losses.

grum
    Free Member

So are they going to do the same for thin people who don’t exercise, or people who drink too much, smokers, or people who injure themselves doing extreme sports perhaps?

njee20
    Free Member

Put them on a treadmill with a fiery pit at the end they will fall off if they don’t keep running.

Link the treadmill to a generator and the fire pit to a biofuel plant.

The McFatties either get fit and generate power while doing it or fry and generate power while doing it.

I, for one, can see no issues whatsoever with this. WCA for PM.

irc

If being the target for “who ate all the pies” comments, disease, and early death doesn’t work then I doubt cutting benefits will work. And why should workshy fatties get free gym sessions anyway?

I doubt compulsory exercise sessions would work. One extra choccy bar before or after would negate any calorie burn. Like any other lifestyle change it needs to be self motivated.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep and has anyone told the fatties to lay off the pies and go for a walk instead of watching Jeremy Kyle.

Also wasn’t the last lit of sporting vanity projects signed up to by Labour?

andrewh
    Free Member

There has been a gradual erosion of sports facilities and access for years

I’ve not noticed there being fewer places to go for a run.

br
    Free Member

As long as they start with Eric Pickles MP first!

willard

Besides, if they really were keen to avoid exercise, then they could always get a fitter, keener neighbour to go in their place, someone that might actually want free gym sessions.

They get a gym session, trainer thinks the class is getting fitter, politicians think it’s working, fat person gets full benefits. Everyone wins.

IHN

and has pointedly refused to regulate the fast food industry,

You had me until then. What regulation of the fast food industry is needed to stop people choosing to eat ‘badly’

And what do you mean by ‘the fast food industry’? McD? KFC? What about the local chippy? Or the local baker selling high fat pies and high sugar cakes?

But, back on topic, it’s a ridiculous idea and is just one of the stories that rears it’s head for half a day every so often.

RealMan
    Free Member

How will it be measured? …Strava?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Soma rich, that is such a disturbing photo is so many ways

soma_rich
    Free Member
    anagallis_arvensis

If they can get Pickles to lay off the pies and lose at least 4 stone then and only then will I listen to their proposals.

MSP

I’ve not noticed there being fewer places to go for a run.

I have noticed quite a reduction in safe playing areas for children to run around in since I was a kid. Once they have grown up without exercise its always going to be much more difficult to start good habits.

But don’t worry because its nothing to do with actually improving peoples health and lives, its just another Tory distraction, create a hatred so nobody will notice who really is screwing you.

elzorillo
    Free Member

TVs powered by treadmill.. ‘Pay as you walk’ jeremy kyle.

(c)2013 ElZorillo

binners

IHN – the government have opposed moves for sugar, salt and fat content to be labelled on food, saying anything should be volountary by manufactureres/supermarkets

And they also refuse to do anything about companies deliberately targeting kids with junk food advertising

So its a bit bloody rich to then start moaning about obesity

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Isn’t it just for people who are currently off work due to a persistent obesity related heatlh problem that could be solved through exercise (prescribed by a doctor under controlled conditions) which they are refusing to do?

tonyd

Must be a slow news day.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

So are they going to do the same for thin people who don’t exercise, or people who drink too much, smokers, or people who injure themselves doing extreme sports perhaps?[/i]

Thin ones aren’t good candidates for biofuel so they can stand at the end of the treadmill catching any planes.

Smokers are dying of cold now they have to stand outside but I guess we could give them brooms and shovels to clean up the fag ends and charred McFatties. They won’t notice the smell as much.

People who injur themselves a kot should be given what ever they like and probably are lovely people too.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

So a government that has slashed funding for grass-roots sport (yet spanked billions instead on a sports-based vanity project), sold off school sports facilities to developers, closed after school clubs, youth clubs etc, and has pointedly refused to regulate the fast food industry, is now blaming people for not doing any exercise?

Usual Tory ‘blame the victim’ crap then? You couldn’t make it up. Actually … you could. They’re getting achingly predictable

Does anyone wish to point out to Dave and Gideon that not everyone has a private gym membership and a personal trainer/tennis coach, to boff your missus while you’re working long hours in the city? ****s!!

Good trolling!

Why it is the governments fault that “victims” choose to eat too much and exercise too little? You don’t need grass roots sports facilities or expensive gym memberships to go for a walk or a run. I seem to remember they did try and raise the price of hot cakes and pasties as well (admittedly clumsily) and there was an outcry.

Actually I think this idea would achieve nothing, but I don’t think we can blame the government for fatties!

andrewh
    Free Member

Isn’t it just for people who are currently off work due to a persistent obesity related heatlh problem that could be solved through exercise (prescribed by a doctor under controlled conditions) which they are refusing to do?

You shouldn’t let boring details spoil a good thread.

binners

I think this is one of those many incidences of CMD’s Tory party morphing into the Thick of It……

“Stewart, any thoughts from within your ****ing dream-yurt?”

grum
    Free Member

IHN – the government have opposed moves for sugar, salt and fat content to be labelled on food, saying anything should be volountary by manufactureres/supermarkets
    And they also refuse to do anything about companies deliberately targeting kids with junk food advertising

+1

Allow millions and millions of pounds of completely unfettered marketing of diabetes-inducing foods to kids from a young age, then act all surprised when we have an obesity crisis. Genius.

joao3v16
    Free Member

There has been a gradual erosion of sports facilities and access for years

There has been a gradual growth in the belief that you need “special facilities” to do sports for years.

I don’t agree with cutting benefits for obese/overweight people, but every reasonable effort should be made to advise and encourage healthier lifestyles.

How3ever, if people can’t be bothered or don’t care, then I don’t know what you’re supposed to do for them.

Although if people don’t care about their own health then I suspect it’s a symptom of deeper issues than just being lazy/apathetic.

Some people just aren’t physical or ‘sporty’, but there’s no reason for that to lead to being an unhealthy weight.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Instead of giving them benefit money, we could just deliver food parcels every week, full of vegetables, fruit, pulses – healthy shit like that!

And don’t go giving me a reminder that they need money for heating and electric – they’ve already got enough blubber to keep warm, and with no electric they won’t be able to sit and watch the telly all day, so might do something more active!

see – its a win-win solution 😈

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

There has been a gradual growth in the belief that you need “special facilities” to do sports for years.

Well it’s true for some things:

Swimming (OK you can swim in a river, but it’d need to be safe & clean – ditto for the sea)
    Squash courts
    Sports halls for Badminton
    etc

Anyway – national service, that’s the answer

Jamie
    Free Member

*gazes into crystal ball*

I have no useful contribution to make.

zilog6128

Anyone who’s obese is wasting money on junk food so doesn’t need as much benefit money. Simple really.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Is obesity directly proportional to the screen size of TVs?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Thin end of the wedge init.
    Next on the list is to start taking Orange Fives off slightly chubby people, and giving them to the deserving poor.

Garry_Lager

As an aside, did anyone see that horizon program where they mentioned that obese guy in Dundee who underwent medically supervised fasting? He ate NOTHING, NADA, NOWT for 1 whole year and went from 32 stone to 12 stone. Vitamin and mineral supplements and water were permitted.
    Sounds unbelievable, but the case is in the medical literature.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

piedi di formaggio – Member
    Is obesity directly proportional to the screen size of TVs?

You also need to factor in the likelihood of wearing “sports” clothing as well.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 300 total)

The topic ‘Obese? "Exercise or We'll Cut Your Benefits" – Tory Council Plan.’ is closed to new replies.