Home Forums Chat Forum North Wales (swoon)

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • North Wales (swoon)
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

I’m here, been here a day in fact but I have this urge to let everyone know what a stunning place it is via any means possible! Today, just head out from the cottage with dog, wife and kids. 4 hrs later,return, weary, dog broke,kids happy to just play cards with mum and dad. Something good about this place for the outdoor soul…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Likes, taffy welsh buoyo..

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I’m here, been here a day in fact but I have this urge to let everyone know what a stunning place it is via any means possible! Today, just head out from the cottage with dog, wife and kids. 4 hrs later,return, weary, dog broke,kids happy to just play cards with mum and dad. Something good about this place for the outdoor soul…

Don’t tell anyone otherwise they’ll all want to come.
    Where are you?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Dolweddyln. If that’s how you spell it? Tomorrow I aim to ride to Penmachno from the door, loop the first half then ride back before the tribe are ready to have some more. Just walked up some random forest type track, head torch on but in pitch pitch black with el dogio, just marvelling at the stars and serenity of it all. We’re blessed living in our part of Derbyshire I always think but i’d be over here in a shot if I could….

MoreCashThanDash

Traitor!

tymbian
    Free Member

Penmachno is right up there one of my favourite trails..

iolo
    Free Member

I love the Castle at Dolwyddelan. A Welsh castle and the home of Llywelyn.

Ambrose

It is a bit nice isn’t it? Up until the age of 22 I lived mostly in the Home Counties. University Climbing Club trips to Wales showed me the error of my ways… I’ve lived in Wales ever since then. The weather can be a bit damp at times though.

mattwilliams84
    Free Member

Getting a bit homesick thanks to this thread! I’m originally from Llanfairfechan, a small village on the coast. Glad you’re having a good time! It’s a pretty special place.

newrobdob
    Free Member

We fell in love with Wales first time we went, rained all 3 days we were there but didn’t put us off!

A friend who is a huge Lakes/Scotland fan was amazed at it.

Biking/walking/beaches all amazing. And it’s 2 hrs drive for me. Love it!

tazzymtb

Love wales having lived on the borders for years, however it is usually wetter than an otters pocket. Doesn’t make it any less lovely, just need a good drying room in the house

jamj1974

I love Norrh Wales. Truly special whether in the hills or on the coast…

BigJohn

Yes North Wales can be great, we spend a fair bit of time there.
    I was actually in Wales the day it didn’t rain. That was in 1976 and locals remember it well. OK, it drizzled a bit in the evening but that doesn’t count.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Penmachno… great trails though often requiring a wetsuit and snorkel.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohhh a North Wales love in.

Can’t have that without a pic of Lake Bala.. oh the memories of 4C water temps, camping in the rain, wind that’d blow down the lake strong enough to blow your ears off, but blimey.. windsurfing was ace! We even got flooded one night in the tents on the Western shore halfway up the tiny lane … my oh my.. When I was riding semi pro at that time we used to ride out from Ironbridge to Bala for coffee, then hit the mountains on the way back.. *sighs..

Epic days.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Bikebouy, spent a year as a kid living a couple minutes walk away from that exact spot. Wasn’t unfortunately into sailing at the time but did enjoy many a bike ride round the lake and into the hills. Great place to go visit but as a teenager in the late 80’s it was pretty grim.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Another kid who was taken there on our annual “summer holiday” involving freezing cold sea and rain, notwithstanding that I love the place. Was last there and up on Snowden on a cold clear October day, absolutely stunning 360 degree views and a sky mixed with blue and foreboding cloud

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Unfortunately I’m from the arse end of North Wales and lucky enough to work across North and Mid Wales. I dedcided that I spend too much time hammering around from site to site and customer to customer, or when I was younger going from home to visit family without necessarily enjoying the beauty that I would hop in the car and spend a few days camping. It was lovely, a drive across and just diving of the main road to to visit and attraction or simply a village that I have known but never stopped in. A walk along a beach or just stopping to take a photo of something.
    It’s not in the Lonely Planet top 10 places to visit in the world for nothing.
    Best people in the world too.
    Cymru am byth.

Was last there and up on Snowden on a cold clear October day,

8O

wrightyson
    Free Member

From this

wrightyson
    Free Member

To this

wrightyson
    Free Member

To this all in one day

Rorschach
    Free Member

It’s alright I s’pose.

I’ve only been here 25 years….so not a local yet.

MoreCashThanDash

Yeah, but I got to spend the afternoon emptying our change jar into the slot machines and eating fish and chips in Matlock Bath.

C’mon OP, home is where the heart is!

slackboy

if you find yourself in porthmadog, this place is lovely: https://www.facebook.com/TheBigRockCafe/%5B/url%5D

this one too, a couple of miles snowdon side of Beddgelert http://www.cafesnowdon.co.uk/%5B/url%5D

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘North Wales (swoon)’ is closed to new replies.