Home Forums Bike Forum North Wales??

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • North Wales??
  • mattkkitch

Any suggestions for a “big mountain” route somewhere not too far from Snowdon? To do the day before Snowdon so don’t say Snowdon!

Ideally looking for something similar to one of the Lakes classics, e.g. 4 Passes, Sticks and Esk Hause, extended Bash etc.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Assuming you want legal then there’s very little.  Cadair is the obvious option.

Or Llyn Cowlyd loop. Which imho is pretty bad.

Sorry, not a fan of North Wales MTB apart from the three routes on Snowdon

mattkkitch

@thegeneralist yeah I kinda thought if the route I wanted existed I’d know about it. Done Cadair and it’s OK.

Just read MBRs write up of Llyn Cowlyd, road descent doesn’t sound promising!

It would be on a Friday so not adverse to some off Bridleway riding as long as it’s a generally accepted route.

nickingsley

If you’re heading to Snowdon via the A55 then you’ll be close to the Clwyds. Not exactly ‘big mountain’ and very xc, there is plenty of elevation to fill your boots. There is some fun cheeky stuff the local trail pixies have worked hard on west of Moel Famau itself.

Cilcain to Llanberis is <1.5hr drive.

nickc

Which way are you coming from, there may be something en-route?

johnnystorm

The llyn cowlyd route “road” descent is great fun as its really steep with switchbacks. The final drop back into capel however isn’t as good since a lot of it was resurfaced to be very smooth.

The Mach 2 & 3 loops are worth a look for a big day out with views.

enigmas
    Free Member

Imo snowdownia, apart from Snowdon itself, lacks big mountain descents that are much fun on a bike. Nothing like the lakes except the rangers route.

I’d much rather go explore the offpiste in Dyfi or Gwydir (strava is your friend), or do an uplift at revs/antur/dyfi.

chakaping

Best option for what you want is the Pont Scethin loop.

Not super-high, but very “out there” and loads of rocks.

Last time I was there this Spring, I pushed back up to repeat the final descent and get better VFM.

tillydog
    Free Member

The final drop back into capel however isn’t as good since a lot of it was resurfaced to be very smooth.

Not worth the push up from Crafnant now :(

(Last time I did it, there were a couple of foreign (German?) bike tourers with panniers and hybrid e-bikes coming the other way. Must have had the shock of their lives when they came over the top from Capel Curig on ‘kitty litter’ to face the steep, grassy descent on the Crafnant side!)

OP – maybe look at Marin / Sarn Helen variants – not ‘big mountain’ but stretches are pretty remote.

chakaping

Gutted to hear about the Crafnant descent, used to work that into a big loop out from Gwydir sometimes.

Here’re some pics from the Pont Scethin loop:

breninbeener

Go on flat tyres mtb.

There is an ace ride of Conwy mountain and onto Drum. The climb is all rideable and the descent is the fastest ive been on an mtb.

tops5
    Free Member

There some nice off piste along the sides of that switchbacky tarmac descent :)

stevedoc
    Free Member

@breininbeener  is the the Romans and Druids ride thats pots you down towards Rowan and the brideway that turns into a hairpin right ? If so I think my Canyon dude is still impailed in the banking and wall !

breninbeener

@stevedoc yes thats part if it!

I shall look for your Canyon!

mrchrist

There is gold in them hills….

One of the best rides in snowdonia is along the north Wales path from Conwy to Aber falls (don ride down the road, ride the FP to the west) Then onto the beach to llan fairfechfechan, up onto the national cycle path then up synchnant pass and down Conwy mountain for a very fast win.

Eluded to above by @breninbeerner

Screenshot_20241007-192951

Or….

Llyn cowlyd – instead of going down the road, go over the dam, but of hike a bike over the ridge and take the path down in to Llyn crafnant.

You can ride over to Llyn geironnydd And take miners path to Trefriw.

Ambrose

Yup, compared to Cumbria Gwynydd has a far more limited network of bridleways. There’s a bunch of trails west of Cadair Idris that might suit, plus of course the places mentioned above. The Flattyres site has some great suggestions. I especially like the trails dropping into the Capel Curig area.

South of Machynlleth there are many, many km of ‘out there’ rides to be had. Big descents but big climbs too.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’m completely unfamilar with the offroad tracks around there, but there appears to be options to climb up to around Llyn Brenig, which is at the top of the tarmac 6.9 mile Road To Hell climb I’ve done a few times.

I’m only a free user of Strava, but the map options look better than last time I looked.

An example segment route https://www.strava.com/segments/31634450

It’s lovely around the Brenig and Alwen reservoirs on the plateau.

fossy

Been meaning to do the Conwy route for some time. We did the MBR Clwydian range Killer Loop ride a few years back. Fair old day out – lots of climbing ! Bit sloppy in places.

lowey

I’m moving to Conwy in the foreseeable. Any idea if there are any clubs in the area ?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Bookmarking for reference for when my ebike finally arrives

tillydog
    Free Member

I’m moving to Conwy in the foreseeable. Any idea if there are any clubs in the area ?

MTB? There’s a couple of Faceburp groups that were pretty active. It’s a bit far west for me, so I haven’t taken too much interest in them.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.