Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Nicolai Ion 650b, opinions/what does it ride like?
  • gaz552
    Free Member

I’m doing what I reckon is probably the usual thing mtb’ers do when we’re chilling out; and looking at potential new bikes!

So as the title says what are people’s opinions on the Nicolai Ion 16 650b? What does it ride like?

engineeringcowboy
    Free Member

I should have mine built up in a couple of weeks if you want to swing your leg over it

godzilla
    Free Member

Bump, mine is being built slowly, would love to hear from owners.
    Raw & black.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nicolaisam
    Free Member

Had mine for over a year 😉
    Raw and Red extras

Excellent bike, pedals well,is fun
    Built with Pikes, Reverb 150mm, X01,Hope Hubs with light Bicyles 35mm carbon rims. Dampf.magic mary tyres, X0 Trail Brakes.
    I am 6ft 2 and ride a large.Is 30lbs with pedals

godzilla
    Free Member

How’s the raw weathering Sam, is that a Monarch and if so what tune is it?

honourablegeorge

Had my 26″ one in Raw for 2 years ish, looks pretty much the same as new.

wrecker
    Free Member

Are you thinking of……..selling, George?

honourablegeorge

Selling? No… stupidly wasted my money on a new house, so I’m staying 26″ for the foreseeable. 🙂

If I was buying 650, I would be getting an Ion 16 again.

(Why… interested?)

wrecker
    Free Member

Bought a nic HT and I have got the bug. Trouble is, the HT has made my trail FS a bi of a luxury, I’d be better off with something a bit more burly. Keeping an eye open for knolly chilcotins but a sister for the argon AM would be splendid!
    I’d need to move the LTc on first though and I’m in no rush.

godzilla
    Free Member

Wrecker, the dealer in Germany i got mine from did have large another for a stupid cheap price.

wrecker
    Free Member

Who might that be Godzilla if you don’t mind me asking? And how stupid is stupid?

godzilla
    Free Member

I’ve PMd you

honourablegeorge

PM ME TOO

🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

Don’t do it Godzilla! He’s already got one!

godzilla
    Free Member

I don’t care I’ve got mine 8)

jools182
    Free Member

And me! 🙂

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Raw finish is still looking really good.

Monarch plus, is running low/low,Just ordered a Debonair air can for it and needs servicing soon.

Monarch works really well.

godzilla
    Free Member

Awesome! Mine came with a L/L Debonair, I’ve a CCDBA too but I may sell that.
    Did you make your own rock guard Sam?

duir
    Free Member

ride a large.Is 30lbs with pedals

Really? My Helius AC which is .5lbs lighter frame than the ION is 31.5lbs. Those wheels must be well light.

I have been looking at a new bike and for all the lovely, light and trendy carbon bikes around, I always end up back at a Nicolai. They are just so durable and reliable with a build quality second to none.

The raw is brilliant because if you leave it alone it builds up a sort of film on it I guess it’s oxidisation that makes even more extra industrial looking. No matter how many times it get’s whacked or scratched it doesn’t look any different.

Nicolai’s are not 25lb carbon race machines.

Nicolai’s are in one piece after a day in the mountains.

honourablegeorge

My Ion is a smidge over 30 also – carbon wheels and Pikes would get it to mid 29s I’d say.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Wheels weigh 1600g and the rims are 35mm outer, 30mm inner.
    30lbs inc pedals for a 160mm bike..Happy with that
    Have had a few AC’s good trail bike

Made the Rock guard from a ZEFAL MTB DOWN TUBE ARMOR and some use of a Dremmel and a cordless drill.

duir
    Free Member

30lbs, those wheels really save a chunk of weight. Do you use light tyres to get that weight or is that with proper tyres?

Do you find the light wheels are holding up? Seriously worth a look to save a couple of lbs. I tend to go with a set of 521’s I have had for years with EXO or dual ply rear tyres, it’s a heavy setup but the 521’s can take an utter pounding here in the Lakes without issue.

If I could get an ION to 30lbs I would be delighted with that.

godzilla
    Free Member

I’ll be lucky to mine to 32, I dread to think what alpine worthy 27.5 tyres add.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Magic Mary Snakeskin up front, and Dampf snakeskin at the rear.

Tubeless

godzilla
    Free Member

Just deciding what crank length to order (170-175) and can’t find the BB height, what crank length are you guys running, and do you find the BB low/ pedal strike on tech stuff?

philbert31
    Free Member

They’re great to ride, solid built and in my opinion look great.

Mines had a reverb and spds since this pic and its 31.5lb

philbert31
    Free Member

Godzilla, I’m running 170mm although 175 would be fine!

godzilla
    Free Member

I vaguely remember admiring that bike or one similar at the Ardrock last year, love the green!

bspoked
    Free Member

Two rides into mine. Lots of pedal strikes after moving from a 140/120 trail bike. Confidence on the downs, feels slow on the ups for now. Still playing with rear shock and seat position. Contemplating switching the geometry tabs, but conscious that I’m trying to get comfortable for it for the alps in 5 weeks.

philbert31
    Free Member

Yes, I was at the Ard rock, dying on the bike, after only getting back from a two week trip to Vegas the night before! lol

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Nicolai Ion 650b, opinions/what does it ride like?’ is closed to new replies.