Home Forums Bike Forum new voodoo bikes

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • new voodoo bikes
  • Matt_SS_xc

just seen these… http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/2011-voodoo-mountain-bikes-first-look-28427

i cant help but feel the longer voodoo hang around the cheaper and nastier they start looking.

i remember when voodoo made cool steel frames (like my one :D) this looks very much like generic tawainese dare i say rubbish?

Matt_SS_xc

taiwanese was a generalisation, i have no deep hatred of people from taiwan!

Houns

They are great in the flesh far from rubbish

tazzymtb

I’ve had 4 voodoo’s and they’ve been ace, but the association with halfrauds and subsequent building bikes to a cycle to work scheme price point has devalued the brand to me. It’s a shame because they are still turning out some really nice frames that will never see the light of day in the UK such as the sobo xc race frame and the sourkri 120mm 29er steel hardtail :cry:

Houns

See it’s comments like that are completely daft

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

They look nice to me.

househusband

Wasn’t there an issue with more than average frame failures and problems getting appropriate warranty a year or two ago – didn’t Sideways Cycles have something (in a good way) to do with it?

tazzymtb

why?

halfrauds are the only uk distributor and voodoo will not sell all the frames through them, reducing the model range available. I don’t want an off the shelf built to a budget bike when I used to be able to get higher spec frames and build something better for myself ta very much.

nobber

jools182
    Free Member

look ok to me, but what do I know, I have an orange

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Yep, Sideways dropped them…

The Wanga doesn’t look very steel to me :-(

Xylene
    Free Member

I have an original Wanga frame from Cycleworks when they imported them. So there.

tazzymtb

29er 120mm fork, 631 reynolds, slidey dropouts……never to see the UK

cheers halfords 8O

SidewaysTim

We stopped dealing with them because the Taiwanese were dragging their feet over warranty replacements, not because they broke more or less than anything else really.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I hear their gates are nice.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I’ve had 4 voodoo’s and they’ve been ace…the UK such as the sobo xc race frame

Aye.. and it’s still going tazzy and i still love how quick it is :)

tazzymtb

ahhhh, the last of the full scandium sobo’s! a carbon fiber bottom was just not the same :D

looking for an old aizan 29er version at the moment to make another silly light bike

edhornby

ooh how dare Halfords make decent bikes available to a big swathe of the public

is my blue Bokor niche because it’s not a 2011 one and has sliding dropouts ? or not niche cos I got it from Halfords?

I DEMAND A NICHE ACCREDITATION NOW !!!!!

tazzymtb

I DEMAND A NICHE ACCREDITATION NOW !!!!!

sheer genius :lol:

Northwind

“cheers halfords”

Yes, because bringing some Voodoos into the UK is much worse than none at all.

tazzymtb

to be fair it’s like being offered this

when you know you could have this

tazzymtb

if your happy with a bog standard off the shelf bike that’ll be good value for money fairymuff, but the fact that it’s a very limited selection of what voodoo make and the halfords exclusive structure means that other than importing a nice one for yourself you’re buggered.

can’t really see how this is turning into a big issue, but hey whatever floats your boat :?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Halfords are nearly as bad as Richer Sounds…

MentalMickey
    Free Member

I think the Wanga looks a cracking bike for the money.

knobblyknees
    Free Member

Got myself a Djab from Halfords this year, what a fantastic bike. Getting a little tired of all you saddo bike snobs that whine about any bikes that come out of Halfords and assume that they must be shite. My experience has been nothing but positive and the bike was incredible value.

knobblyknees
    Free Member

epicyclo

Mental Mickey – Member

It sure does a lot of cracking for the money.

Which is a shame because it’s a nice frame.

nicko74

Mental Mickey – Member

Agreed – the spec on that (Revs with 140mm travel and a 15mm through axle, Avid Elixir R discs and XT drivetrain) for one pound shy of a grand is top notch. In fact, it did make me wonder what the nominal value of the frame is.
    Given that a Specialized Stumpy with the same spec would set you back about 50% more, it’s great to see Voodoo (and Boardman before that) bringing affordable ‘proper’ bikes back to the table.
    As for frame crackage – it’s being sold through a retail chain; they have a warranty and they’ll have to abide by it.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

tazzy- admit to everyone how many voodoos there are in your garage at the moment :wink:

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Distributor not bringing in nichecore nonsense that won’t sell shocker.

tazzymtb

pop I like voodoo’s hence why I’ve had so many of ’em. It’s just a shame to see ok stuff churned out to a distributors budget and price point when they make so much better.

I give up now, as unless I want an ok bike with ok bits on it to replace my nice toys I’m a snob.

*Wanders off to ebay the rest of my nice voodoo’s so I can buy an apollo*

don’t worry pop yours is safe

julianwilson
    Free Member

Houns – Member

See it’s comments like that are completely daft

Still work for them Houns? I recall a minor debate on here recently about bike biz people reflecting this in their username. Only a minor thing but i think it would help the uninitiated to know if you are still on their books, so to speak.

Back on topic, it really is a shame you can’t get the full range imported over here. Are we saying no one else in the UK could import them as sideways did because Halfords do then? I see GT and Kona for sale all over the place.

mustard
    Free Member

Did I not see that GT had pulled out of the deal with Halfords to try and re-establish their reputation?

I’ve no problem with Halfords per se, they do what they do very well, but I think once you have got beyond buying a BSO you will generally get much better service parting with your hard earned at a good lbs.

Northwind

mustard – Member

“Did I not see that GT had pulled out of the deal with Halfords to try and re-establish their reputation?”

That was one side of the argument. The other version was that Halfords realised they could fill the gaps with their 3 quality brands and didn’t really need GT. That’s why they binned Kona after all.

The proof of the pudding’s probably in the eating- Halfords have filled the gaps in their range after all, they don’t seem to be hurting too much but I’d bet money there’s a lot less GTs being sold in the UK now.

timc
    Free Member

Whats not to like about that new Wanga? looks great Value…

Matt_SS_xc

wasnt really disputing the value, just thought they had lost their classy look, i have a 3 year old wanga and still love it……

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Er, so is there no longer going to be any steel voodoos available?!

I was considering another wanga on C2W but really want steel..

iain1775
    Free Member

I think steel Voodoo still in range but not imported to UK
    Bizango – http://www.voodoocycles.net/bizango.htm
    There is an ebay shop though where you can get direct from Taiwan

Oh hark all you with your 3 year old before they went rubbish’ Voodoos ;)
    My 1996 steel Hoodoo is still going strong, frame number 0036 and the first of the first batch that came into the country years ago (from sshockwave in Nottingham), in fact was thinking of converting it back for rigid MTB duties from its current drop bar commuter guise

Brilliant bike, may have to get rear disc mounts brazed on to bring it a bit more upto date, have run it rigid and with 130 forks no problems

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Oh dear. the new ones look a bit gak.

Loving the voodoo love-in here :)

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

My steel wanga was fab (it got nicked), I can’t believe that they’re not going to carry a steel bike in the line-up!?

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Bike in non-niche shocker.

Who cares what you think if you’re not going to buy it, kinda like people who scoff at V8 Ferarri’s because they’re not V12, are you any more likely to trade in your Astra to buy one?

I for one don’t fall into the “niche” category on here but it won’t stop me from mountain biking

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘new voodoo bikes’ is closed to new replies.