Home Forums Chat Forum New laptop is Chromebook. How do I use Garmin Basecamp?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New laptop is Chromebook. How do I use Garmin Basecamp?
  • lotto
    Free Member

Work have replaced our laptops with Chromebooks. Ideal for what we do, but how do I get Basecamp on it? I can’t see it in Play Store. On my previous Windows machine, whilst I was meant to be working, I’d find gpx routes, drag them into Basecamp and then onto my GPS. I’d like to do the same on Chromebook. Happy to not use Basecamp if there is a better method on the Chromebook. Any suggestions please.

molgrips
    Free Member

You don’t.

krixmeister

While @molgrips is technically correct, there are probably other options. I was never a fan of Basecamp on the Mac anyway.

For starters, maybe look at some of the online sites – http://www.gpxeditor.co.uk/map , https://labs.strava.com/gpx-to-route/ and similar.

Also – not sure if Komoot is available for Chromebook, but I have friends who swear by it on iOS and Android.

nickc

I do it via Strava on my Chromebook. (you do have to pay for Strava for that option I think though)

CraigW
    Free Member

Try the Garmin Explore Android app? It is kind of a mobile version of BaseCamp, a lot simpler.

theboyneeds
    Free Member

You can uploads gpx to the os website. There is a small subscription fee. Dunno how you’d get them into your gps though.

fossy

What do you use ‘basecamp’ for – I’ve found the Window’s version a bit crap TBH, and always web based software (mapmyride) for route planning.

simondbarnes

Just plug your Garmin into the Chromebook and copy the gpx file(s) into the New Files folder on the Garmin.

lotto
    Free Member

I’ve made a gpx route of a ride I’d like to do. GPS plugged in Chromebook. Drag and drop to GPX folder. All good, I can see it on device, but only as a route, not a track. How do I get it onto GPS as a track without Basecamp?

simondbarnes

Upload it to gpsies.com and export as a route then drag and drop onto the garmin

lotto
    Free Member

That’s exactly what I needed. Thank you.

rossburton
    Free Member

ridewithgps.com is pretty good too.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘New laptop is Chromebook. How do I use Garmin Basecamp?’ is closed to new replies.