Home Forums Bike Forum New jacket time

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New jacket time
  • rascal
    Free Member

Well it’s that time of year when getting the jacket out is more likely than the SS jersey. I’m looking for something to replace my 10 year old (ish) Endura MT500…it’s too big and bulky, has a horrible annoying hood and wets out even after reproofing. Ideally something that IS actually quite good at keeping the water out but not too sweaty inside, if such a thing exists…pit zips would be good. Any recommendations or deals about ATM? Spotted that Endura’s 3 layer GV500 has a HH of 20,000 and a breathability rating of 40,000 – numbers sound good and gets good reviews…anyone use one? Thanks

joebristol

No idea what the figures are like but I picked up an Ion Shelter 3L jacket from Sport Pursuit for a bargain price November last year. Not got wet through it yet – and it’s certainly lighter / less bulky than the 2 x Royal Racing Matrix jackets I’d had before that one.

Looks like they have some at a good price on there at the moment too.

nuke

Ion Shelter 3L jacket from Sport Pursuit for a bargain price November last year.

Ha, exactly what i went for but this year… literally turned up today by coincidence (so a bit early days for feedback). Maybe should have got the small (generally the size i get) as the medium is a bit roomier on me than I’d like but at least that leaves ability to layer underneath when it gets colder

rascal
    Free Member

Cheers both – nuke, can you show which one you went on their site with and what’s your first impression?

mrhoppy

Watching with interest as I’m in the same boat. I was looking for a robust, breathable & ventable hardshell, minimal pockets as they just reduce breathability and add bulk and a stowable hood (if I’ve really got to have one). It seems that you can have either lightweight and potentially fragile or robust but with “features” a million pockets and wipes and many draw cords/elastic bits.

The closest to my requirements is the Gore Endure but the sizing is hopeless, for a 45″ chest I’d need a 3XL which has gibbon arms. Showers Pass seem to have the best fit on the chart but don’t have the right jacket. GV500 looks close but no vents from what I can see.

z1ppy

Probably one more for the depth of winter, as the the jacket is much like a goretex 3 layer than a thin shell, but I’ve had a HydraDri 5.0 Jacket and shorts for the last couple of years, and they are very good. I bought them as bargain’s from CRC (pre the firesales) and am impressed

jimdubleyou

I’m still rocking my Endura MTR shell, which I think got replaced (ish) by the GV500 (certainly the material specs are similar).

TBH, like most jackets I’ve ever tried –  it’s only really breathable when it’s not raining.

desperatebicycle

Ion Shelter 3L jacket from Sport Pursuit for a bargain price November last year.
    Ha, exactly what i went for but this year

Same here. I have it with me in the office today, though I didn’t ride in. Wore it to a music festival last month. Been on dog walks. I think I’ve used it a couple of times riding an actual bike! :)

FOG

Why is Goretex sizing so weird? I normally hover between L and XL in most jackets but I had to buy XXL Goretex to fit my not very manly chest. And yes, the arms are very long.

joebristol

My Gore jacket (it’s really a road fit / no hood / quite light) is a size medium and it fits ok. I’m normally medium or large depending  on the make. I weight train so about a 40” chest so not small.

I’ve got the large Ion Shelter and it’s quite roomy – may have got away with a  medium in hindsight but I followed their size guide.

nuke

can you show which one you went on their site with and what’s your first impression?

I went for this one (but only small now available):

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/2656116

There’s a lot of ‘hybrid’ versions on there too but I think the front panels on those dont have the same waterproofing material (if I have that correct)

Initial impression is good. Looks good quality, well stitched & taped. Doesnt feel obviously like a waterproof jacket, softer & not so ‘crinkerly’. Some nice details (like the sunglass cleaning cloth on elastic in the front pocket). Hood fits over helmet with a little tightness so it should hopefully stay on when riding. Not overly bulky so will pack down reasonably small when stowing. Sizing is probably accurate as Im at bottom end of medium

rascal
    Free Member

This ticks some of the boxes. The Hope branding might not be for everyone but is the jacket any good?

https://shop.hopetech.com/18487/products/endura-singletrack-ii-jacket–blackgrey.aspx

BadlyWiredDog

minimal pockets as they just reduce breathability

Depends on construction. Some jackets use mesh pocket bags, so the pocket openings act as vents, but anything with a pocket using the jacket fabric will create areas of double or triple thickness material.

BadlyWiredDog

This ticks some of the boxes. The Hope branding might not be for everyone but is the jacket any good?

If you go by the quoted figures ie:

10,000mm Waterproof rating
    20,000g/m2/24h Breathability

Then average breathabllity – okay for steady walking – and relatively low absolute waterproofing, but on the bike it’ll mostly just mean you get sweaty a little bit sooner than you would with a more breathable fabric. The rest I have no idea about.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.