Viewing 38 posts - 361 through 398 (of 398 total)
  • New Doctor is a lady…
  • kelvin

Plenty of Queens have “popped up” for the Doctor while he was a man. At least they avoided her marrying a King (so far).

kennyp
    Free Member

And was that a hint that King James was gay for Ryan?

I think it was more than a hint……to put it mildly. Check out the history of the real King James.

I thought this one was the first decent episode there’s been of this series. Helped a lot by a superb performance from Alan Cumming.

tthew

Can we all agree that Alan Cumming wasn’t merely acting, but over-acting? Entirely appropriately to be fair, but I’ve seen less ham at a Hog Roast. 😁

slowoldman

Goes from bad to worse. What’s it missing? Ah yes, a decent writer.

CountZero

And was that a hint that King James was gay for Ryan?

A hint? A hint? 

Sir John Oglander observed that he “never yet saw any fond husband make so much or so great dalliance over his beautiful spouse as I have seen King James over his favourites, especially the Duke of Buckingham”<sup id=”cite_ref-147″ class=”reference”>[135]</sup> whom the King would, recalled Sir Edward Peyton, “tumble and kiss as a mistress.”<sup id=”cite_ref-148″ class=”reference”>[136]</sup> Restoration of Apethorpe Palace undertaken in 2004–08 revealed a previously unknown passage linking the bedchambers of James and Villiers.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Can we all agree that Alan Cumming wasn’t merely acting, but over-acting? Entirely appropriately to be fair, but I’ve seen less ham at a Hog Roast.

Dahhhhling, I posted it in!

It was outstanding overacting, and yet a rather accurate portrayal as well.

RustySpanner

He finally said it!

Good one that, can’t help thinking there are more ideas than time to develop them though.

Perhaps these standalone episodes need an hour, just all felt a bit rushed.

Loved the frog(s).

deadkenny
    Free Member

Hmm, Kemit. Clearly the diversity tick boxes include frogs.

Cougar

I thought it was a toad’s stool.

RustySpanner

Clearly the diversity tick boxes include frogs.

It’s not easy being green.

I don’t get the issue with diversity. It’s a programme about an alien.

colournoise

Good one that, can’t help thinking there are more ideas than time to develop them though

This. Some really intriguing ideas in this one. Felt like it needed a film length treatment rather than a quick 50 minutes.

A few neat details. Liked the way the t-shirt logo was reversed through the mirror but then no-one actually mentioned it.

onehundredthidiot

I think I overthunk the mirror. Did mention to Mrs 100th that the slayer logo was flipped but everyone retained their handidness.

kimbers

Last night’s & witchfinder episodes were great, even Bradley Walsh isn’t irritating me so much now.

(Also James I definitely gay according to my A level history teacher, who reckoned he was shagging Buckingham- also said that bickingham had relationship with his son, Charles I !?! )

kelvin

I may have said this already, but I don’t mind saying it again… I expected Walsh to ruin this series for me… but it turns out that his acting is centre stage in all the highlights for me. He’s great. When/if those two finally fist bump… there will be tears.

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    cromolyolly
    Free Member

slayer logo was flipped but everyone retained their handidness.

And hair partings. And zippers and buttons.

colournoise

I expected Walsh to ruin this series for me… but it turns out that his acting is centre stage in all the highlights for me.

Have to agree. He actually has some acting chops and is keeping it all remarkably subtle and restrained. Not sure if it’s intentional, but he is the ‘human’ anchor of the show right now. More Doctor than the Doctor…

deadkenny
    Free Member

Meh.

For a finale it wasn’t any more than an average episode. Looks impressive, dramatic music making you think something big is going to happen, acting okay, script is just meh. Like a lot of the episodes, a lot of talk and not much really happens.

Okay past finales were a bit too everything and the kitchen sink, daft reveals and over dramatization.

Not bad, just nothing special and not particularly memorable.

Meanwhile, New Year episode (which may or may not have the obvious “monster” that they might be contractually obliged to include), and then nothing until 2020!. Overspent the budget on the look and overseas filming perhaps. Less of the gloss, ditch two particular characters, and concentrate on decent writers (not Chibnall).

kennyp
    Free Member

Poor ending to a very poor series. Only one or two episodes that scraped into the average category. Ditch all three hangers on, ditch Chibnall and get in a decent writer, ditch the virtue signalling plots, bring in/back some decent monsters and let the new Doctor mature into the role a bit rather than acting like a daft wee lassie.

That said, it’s still Doctor Who so I’ll be tuning in on Ne’er Day.

scotroutes

Again, there was one decent actor in the show. (That’s probably unfair. I guess the actors can only work with what they’re given.)

The need for each character to have a bit of the story is distracting from the show and, on the one hand making the plot too simple, on the other making it hard to follow.

Meantime, my final birthday present arrived on Saturday…

View post on imgur.com

brassneck

To add an alternate perspective, my sample size of 3 (ages 8,10,12) enjoyed this series more than the Capaldi ones. Needs Daleks / Cybermen / The Master/Missy though, so hoping NYE delivers.
    Felt close to the original conceit of an educational show this season, which was an OK change pf pace if a bit heavily virtue signaled. Big spiders just need big, explosive solutions.

PrinceJohn

Any thoughts from last night’s episode?

Thought it was a little bit better, but she still over-explained everything & why did the Dalek just decide to stop off to kill the soldiers? & the terrible no wifi joke.

colournoise

Disappointed it was (inevitably I guess) another Dalek – the steampunk concept was good but didn’t quite work for me. It felt quite old school in a fun way though as they physically wrestled the Dalek into submission. From the trailer was hoping for something a little more complex (parallel past /present storylines). Not bad as a brainless romp but not the best of this Doctor’s episodes so far.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Fun, old school, still poking fun at Brexit types, not overly deep and resolved nicely

why did the Dalek just decide to stop off to kill the soldiers?

It landed, they followed it

slowoldman

I was impressed how quickly she knocked up a fully armed Dalek complete with propulsion system (and presumably fuel) with a sledge hammer and forge.

Anyway, a bit better than the previous episodes but not by much. Shame about the obvious lift from Alien. The writing has been pretty crap all season.

Oh and what happened to the other Dalek body parts?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Oh and what happened to the other Dalek body parts?

Under the uv lights they did a space teleport things, that was explained….

slowoldman

Oh.

scotroutes

Pants.

timbog160

It was ‘OK’ but not a patch on previous seasonal specials some of which I have watched again recently…

Cougar

I was impressed how quickly she knocked up a fully armed Dalek complete with propulsion system (and presumably fuel) with a sledge hammer and forge.

And a bunch of boxes of Dalek casing parts stored (conveniently) in Cardiff Sheffield.

ctk
    Free Member

Thought it was nice of the Dalek to allow it’s host to wear welding gloves. Many holes but enjoyed it as usual.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And a bunch of boxes of Dalek casing parts stored (conveniently) in Cardiff Sheffield.

It’s as if they need somebody doing explanation as they go along to help people keep up with these new simpler plots 😉

deadkenny
    Free Member

Felt Torchwood style in writing, which is no surprise from Chibnall. Made me shudder in memory of Cyberwoman. And then we got Dalekwoman! Well, not quite so bad. No sprouting Dalek appendages, though Dalek Bumps might have been funny but it’s been done before.

Main improvement is Ryan being slightly more interesting than usual through a bit of a back story and a chance to use a slightly different expression.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’ve not enjoyed this series at all.

She’s just too chipper.

The Doctor needs to have a threatening undercurrent that only surfaces when required to remind you that, beneath the wacky exterior, there lurks a centuries old warrior with a bit of a temper.

JW just isn’t pulling that off for me.

See also : Colin Baker

slowoldman

The Doctor needs to have a threatening undercurrent that only surfaces when required to remind you that, beneath the wacky exterior, there lurks a centuries old warrior with a bit of a temper.

Also just a bit unhinged. See Christopher Ecclestone.

PrinceJohn

I did watch a few of the old David Tennant & Matt Smith ones before Christmas and even though I roughly remembered the plots found them much more enjoyable.
    The writing has been pretty poor since Matt Smith left.

Cougar

See also : Colin Baker

See also, Matt Smith.

RustySpanner

Hmmm.

I like JW and the the way she plays the new Doctor.
    I think the bumbling naivety can be a bit overdone and yes, more of a dark side would be a good contrast.

Some of the stories have been excellent (the first, Punjab, Witchfinders etc) some pleasantly odd (Takes you Away, Tsuranga etc) and some just a bit poorly written and resolved.

Rosa needed more time, should have been a two parter, bit creaky.

Quite like the Crew, but agree that it’s hard to move so many characters along satisfactorily. Someone’s always going to get left out and I think Yaz needs a group hug ATM.

All the things that are being complained about, the number of companions, the eccentricity, the historical episodes etc have all been done before.
    Seems to me we’re going a bit retro if anything.

Viewing 38 posts - 361 through 398 (of 398 total)

The topic ‘New Doctor is a lady…’ is closed to new replies.